Need better macbook pro audio

chingmai331

All i have now is the factory install.  I'd like to get more and better sound so thought to add an amplifier and speakers. 

Any suggestions as to size of amp/speakers but only for one small room, not an auditorium.   And i presume just plugging into audio jack will be enough but what about power for amp?

And i'd like to say to those adding home-made YouTube vids, plz get some better connection.  Many youtubes are totally useless, cannot be heard nor understood. 

It all rather depends on your budget and your hearing so please be more specific about what you want.

If you will be using your laptop as your source for all audio in a small room then a proper amp may be over the top. Powered speakers might be more suitable. They would almost certainly be cheaper. Bluetooth might also be suitable, again depending on your budget and hearing.

As a general rule analogue connections as you would get from an audio jack are to be avoided. You should be looking for something that allows you to stream audio directly to your speakers (or amp) via wifi - or network cables -though I appreciate that owning Apple products does tend to limit you in this. Something that supports airplay should do it so I suggest you read up on that. If you do get an amp then you should consider using HDMI connections even if you are not interested in seeing video.

I personally have my PC connected to my Yamaha AV amp and two proper speakers via HDMI for all my audio (recorded music, internet radio, film/TV soundtracks) and I have another HDMI lead to goes directly from my PC to my TV which I only use for actually watching video (with the audio still routed to the amp). Works brilliantly and I never have any switching problems. It also ensures the best possible quality.

What about your budget? There are two ways, passive (where you need an amp) or active (no need for an amp, the speakers are powered)

I bought some altec speakers for about 5k thb a long while ago from panthip years ago, they served me for many years but I was never happy, the sub sounded like someone kicking a cardboard box. They also had a funky shape that was hard to carry when moving apartment.

We had a few sets of Logitech speakers at work that were the same, pretty horrid. If you want entry level, creative t40 (3500 thb) get some half way decent reviews, but there is no subwoofer unit with those, but it will get you something better than your computer speakers.

If you are looking fo something that you will be really happy with, audioengine a5+ ( the youtubers choice), seem to be decent enough for most, these are around 15,000 thb, maybe excessive? You don’t need an amp, it’s built-in. That’s a one time purchase, fits in one box when move, you can buy a matching sub too.

Like kittenkong said analogue 3.5mm are best avoided, the audioengine’s have a onboard DAC, so you take audio over USB from your computer. I didn’t notice active speakers offering airplay, but you can build an shairport streamer for 3000 thb (I have one sitting here doing nothing).

If you want something you can build on, then something like q acoustics 2020 or 3020 speakers, which are around 8-11k and add a SMSL Amp AD18 (4500 thb)

The q acoustics 3020 will be my next purchase after a new iMac.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived