Visa Medical Exam

Apparently I am getting a medical exam for my visa,  Does anyone know exactly what is involved with that?    Is there blood work or Injections or fingers up the ass?  I am uncertain what to expect.   I looked in the search and didn't find any info.

Since you apparently are here in Thailand I assume you are applying for some kind of extension at immigration or perhaps a work permit.

Why do you need a medical exam? It is not needed for an extension of stay application.

6 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

To apply for a marriage visa

A medical certificate is not needed to apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage.

Same if you were applying for a non-o visa based upon marriage at a embassy or consulate.

That's a new one, they don't require a medical check normally...

You might want to ask a confirmation or the checklist from immigration because I've never heard of that.

The main immigration thing that requires a medical check are work permits. It's mostly just a general check that you are in good health, a check for venereal diseases and in particular, syphillis.

We went to the immigration office in Samut Sakhon and they indicated that I need medical examination certificate to apply for the marriage extension of my visa... 

I feel like I am getting the runaround

1 hour ago, XLance said:

That's a new one, they don't require a medical check normally...

You might want to ask a confirmation or the checklist from immigration because I've never heard of that.

The main immigration thing that requires a medical check are work permits. It's mostly just a general check that you are in good health, a check for venereal diseases and in particular, syphillis.

AS well as elephantitus and alcoholism

41 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

AS well as elephantitus and alcoholism

elephantiasis, yep; and symptomatic alcoholism.... and left wondering why these things in particular ????

14 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Wrong.

So kindly explain to me why the MFA website at

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

includes the following statement, then:-

"A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)."

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

And OA visas.

I just meant that it is less common than work permit (which is a requirement every year), whereas visa extensions, I don't think it is a requirement.

In the O-A case, I would assume that most medical checks are done abroad, which would explain why I rarely see them in Thailand ?

10 hours ago, XLance said:

I just meant that it is less common than work permit (which is a requirement every year), whereas visa extensions, I don't think it is a requirement.

Officially there is, indeed, no requirement in the case of retirement extensions of stay - but a few rogue offices (such as Samui and Phuket) do, nevertheless, insist on medical checks in practice as part of the process.

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

Officially there is, indeed, no requirement in the case of retirement extensions of stay - but a few rogue offices (such as Samui and Phuket) do, nevertheless, insist on medical checks in practice as part of the process.

Phuket, sorry your wrong there

• Like 1