Welcome to Thailand: South African teacher robbed in downtown Hat Yai

webfact

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I think your right....I must remember in future not to leave my helmet on my motorbike, not leave anything in the back of my pick-up...not leave any flowers in my front garden...and...bolt everything down that can be moved...

By the way...I come from Europe?

and Europe is full of migrants 

6 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Well, she is still alive. If this happened in her native country she would probably have suffered serious injuries. 

If she had taken the same care with her bag like she needs to do in her native S.A., the thief would have gone empty handed i.e. with a bag containing nothing of value. 

Wow this thread got out of hand quickly not even past the first page..

These things happen in all types of areas in the world..... it’s 

very unfortunate it could happen an any neighborhood town etc. 

8 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Coming from where she does you think she would be a lot more streetwise; maybe lives in a white enclave and barely sees the light of day as servants do everything including the shopping !

I don’t know a single person in SA who have servants like that.  With labour laws such as SA has, you would pay very handsomely for a person like that in your employ, just as you would in Europe. Wow, you really should visit the place sometime and not just base your comments on..where did you say your source was again?

2 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I'm shocked nobody has commented on the criminal's name:

"In custody is Nihafis Chearsae ..."

Is he Thai, or what nationality is that weird name????

Let's consider that he was arrested in Hat Yai, in the south of Thailand where there are a good number of Muslim Thais. Nihafis has a Muslim sound to it? So at least he's not yer average Somchai. Possible?

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Coming from where she does you think she would be a lot more streetwise; maybe lives in a white enclave and barely sees the light of day as servants do everything including the shopping !

R U SAYING ALL FOLK FROM SOUTH AFRICA ARE THE SAME?  IS THAT A STEREOTYPE?

11 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Well, she is still alive. If this happened in her native country she would probably have suffered serious injuries. 

How very true, South Africa's crime problem is rife, and a lot come to Thailand to escape the violence and chaos which has enveloped the country of late.

Must be a bummer that after all that, you come to paradise thinking that all the troubles have disappeared, only to be robbed (poor lady).

I hope the guy gets what he deserves !

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I wonder who made the citizens arrest.

I wonder why she was wandering the streets with large sums of money and her passport in a handbag.

I wonder if she did full research on the difficulties and troubles in the area of Thailand she decided to live/work in.

I wonder why, as a South African, she was not a little more wise about street crime. (I lived for a year in RSA and regard it as the most dangerous, violent country I've spent time in). 

I wonder if she will persist with her plan to stay in Hat Yai.

hat yai.jpg

You say SA is dangerous and she was robbed here in Thailand but that can happen anywhere in the world. I lived in Boston, MA USA all my life till I moved here in 2013 but have seen news reports in Boston of tourists being robbed.  Was actually jumped 4 times, twice in downtown Bos and twice in Dorchester but they made a bad mistake as I have practiced martial arts since my 20,s .

I've spent time in Hat Yai.  Sure crowded, air pollution etc but it's an ok place in my experience.  Was nicer before the terrorist bombings started, eg used to be the bus terminal was an open area, but is now walled in.  I've been told the cops there keep an eye out for Malaysians who come over to engage in rascality.

16 hours ago, allanos said:

Clearly you have never, ever, taken one step into South Africa because you would not spout such puerile and uninformed rubbish!

Go anywhere in the world and you will soon find out there are very few places on earth where you can say you are totally safe. Parts of south Africa are worse than others, some Euro cities would make them look saintly... try some American cities & see how far you'd get down the street still hanging on to your handbag !!!

All you can do is get some streetwise brains into action & get smart damn quick... where ever you are.

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

I've spent time in Hat Yai.  Sure crowded, air pollution etc but it's an ok place in my experience.  Was nicer before the terrorist bombings started, eg used to be the bus terminal was an open area, but is now walled in.  I've been told the cops there keep an eye out for Malaysians who come over to engage in rascality.

I have lived in HY for 10 years, I think people forget that it’s the 4th biggest city in Thailand, its not a western tourist resort. I don’t feel threatened, however, it’s a city, it attracts low life, there is a drug problem.

If you notice all over Thailand, locals keep their handbags under their jackets, in their laps or under the seats of their bikes. Keep valuables close all over Thailand, not just HY.

I don’t see any bad Malays, it’s usually Chinese Malay families these days enjoying the shopping - I’m always amazed, when heading past lee gardens, most nights of the week the street market is heaving. 

Archived