Thai roads: 6,129 dead so far this year - 729 this month - 29 on Monday

webfact

47 minutes ago, overherebc said:

They drive 1 metre from the car in front because they are idiots. Quite simple really.

And by the way, if you have to stop suddenly and they hit the back of your car they will blame you for stopping too quickly. ????

It doesn't matter whose fault it is, Thai's will blame everyone/anything else they can, but never themselves.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad fact that the  death  toll  is  horrific  but  little mention  is made of  the  worse scenario of those probably in greater numbers the survivors who are left permanently maimed  and incapacitated for  normal life function who are considered "luckY'.

29 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

i live in a scandinavian country with roughly 10 millions inhabitants: 325 deads in traffic in  2018. authorities are horrified and demand measures. for the first time, since 2012,  figures are above 300.

Your country isn't part of the 3rd World, Thailand is a 3rd World country trying to pretend its in the 1st World. Safety isn't even on their minds, and if it was, it would be based on "luck". 

And the beat goes on and on, and on. Nothing gets done to put to end to this. We only get the usual platitudes from the Police or some Government Official and a save face crackdown. Thais are simply the worse drivers be they in a car or on a motorbike in the entire world. When you go to a car or motorbike dealer if you are Thai and have the cash you can drive/ride away without having to prove you have a valid license or insurance. That is a fact and as a result you have thousands of idiot Thais on the road. Talk in Thailand from the powers that be is cheap and nothing is ever going to change that.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, dddave said:

Some will see this as racist and invoking a stereotype but there really does seem to be lower sense of situational awareness here than in other places. Thais frequently seem to be totally oblivious to what's going on around them.

^ This.....I have said the same many times myself

Not sure why it is so but it is obviously so & more so when they drive cars/trucks

Many have a bit more situational awareness on 2 wheels for some reason but even then many on 2 wheels think nothing of

pulling into fast moving traffic while they are crawling themselves

Yes.....Not racist just the fact of the matter with Thai's for some reason & as you said could just be down to poor training to be aware

of what is happening around you & more importantly to care

When I first saw this behavior I thought it was caused by a strong "Me First" attitude

42 minutes ago, mania said:

Not sure why it is so but it is obviously so & more so when they drive cars/trucks

Many have a bit more situational awareness on 2 wheels for some reason but even then many on 2 wheels think nothing of

Yes.....Not racist just the fact of the matter with Thai's for some reason & as you said could just be down to poor training to be aware

When I first saw this behavior I thought it was caused by a strong "Me First" attitude

it may also simply be the result of a hangover

you can sit in a coffee shop in cm near a junction and watch thais drive and the accidents that happen.it happens everyday and if you hit someone from the back a pick up or bike all your fault  and you were too close to the other vehicle never the driver in front.this is thailand

It seems that the situation is improving, the deaths are much less than the 26,000 annual few years ago!????????????

It can only be improved if the police are forced to do their job!

The main issue is the lack of police policing.  If the police were more proactive as in other countries people would know they can’t get away with what they doing now.  The brake failure excuse is just that, a excuse.  The police need to get off their lazy <deleted> and get themselves visible  out on the roads and start doing their job. 

5 hours ago, mania said:

I would go for a combination of me first combined with a lack of spatial awareness. Spatial awareness according to the little bit of reading I've done on it needs to be developed when you are young using playground equipment etc and lots of interaction with other kids playing games etc.

How often do you see, or have you seen, kids playing on equipment in playgrounds or getting involved a lot in team games at school, now or in the past?

9 hours ago, ocddave said:

It doesn't matter whose fault it is, Thai's will blame everyone/anything else they can, but never themselves.

It emanates from the top down - those "in charge" (leaders) don't accept any responsibility for any stuff ups and this attitude has become enshrined in the thinking of the "common people". ????

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Since the start of the year 6,129 had died at the scene of accidents. 

But you won't find this information in any T.A.T brochures, along with the locations of stinking beaches, or putrid water... or open air land fill sites etc etc etc... 

just the old photo's of a boat on a deserted beach with a pristine background !!!

3 hours ago, Percy P said:

The law states ,every person on the MC must wear safety head wear. I'll seen a person times because the 2yo was not wearing a helmet.

I've seen babies without helmets wearing nothing but a diaper, balancing on the gas tank and hanging onto the handlebars, it boggles the mind. I think it goes without saying, but in the West, the parents would be in jail, and the child taken away.

22 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I am not sure if functioning brakes will be that crucially important if the person wedged behind the steering wheel has practically no driver education and in addition ignores pretty much every traffic rule and safety precaution known to civilized mankind.

WELL SAID....brain dead drivers all over Thailand.....never ever taught to drive properly and safely

On 5/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, Misterwhisper said:

I am not sure if functioning brakes will be that crucially important if the person wedged behind the steering wheel has practically no driver education and in addition ignores pretty much every traffic rule and safety precaution known to civilized mankind.

That's right! it's not the brakes that are at fault,

It's the "Loose Nut behind the Wheel"

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, BobbyL said:

A truly shocking / inhumane / scandalous / whatever you call want to call it statistic.

For me this is the number one thing that needs to be fixed in this country. The daily numbers are unbelievable. Yet it has been mentioned time and time again, year on year, and nothing is properly put in place to rectify this by the government.  

I'm surprised that it isn't higher. I drove thousands of miles on Thai roads up north, and always wondered if I'd get home safely.

The stupidity that was exhibited on the roads was incredible.

However, I never saw a traffic cop on the road, so there was no incentive to drive within the rules.

It really dissapoints me that this rate is so low,

I want so many of the drivers in my way to meet their well deserved karmic justice that 7 k won't cut it - perhaps if I give some money to the local temple and some computer games that number will rise to the full Buddhist retribution I would expect.

21 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

The only people they kill are themselves. Like seat belts if you dont wear one you only kill yourself in an accident. Not wearing a helmet or a seat belt normally only causes death or greater injury to that person. The offences that affect other people are drink drive, speeding and running red lights and are the offences that should be policed more rigorously

They are also a huge drain on the hospital system, but it's only those millions of bad foreigners doing that isnt it.

Terrifying numbers I would like to see the breakdown by area and vehicle type. I personally never ride motorbike taxis and I feel like it's just a matter of time until a car I'm being drived around in gets hit by a road clown.

22 hours ago, mrfill said:

Can you explain then how Vietnam, a country with nearly 50% more people, has a lower total road death count, not just lower per capita? Mass mobility came at the same time in both countries so if the '2nd generation' theory is fair, the figure should be similar.

Traffic laws are respected more in Vietnam and applied by the police more. I have no figures but would guess that penalties are also not as feeble as in Thailand. If you only get a tiny fine for driving like an idiot, you have no real incentive to not drive like an idiot.

Could it be because Vietnam is a communist country and the government there exercises a lot of control over their citizens...

Lack of being able to use that little stick thingy near the steering wheel,that makes amber lights flash when about to change direction seem very hard to use for thais,luckily my brakes have not failed yet avoiding these morons.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife's brother is a policeman. I asked her what he actually does and she had no idea.

The national chief cop mentioned a week back that many traffic police have very little knowledge of the law.

Archived