Thai roads: 6,129 dead so far this year - 729 this month - 29 on Monday

webfact

2 minutes ago, Trevor Collins said:

Could it be because Vietnam is a communist country and the government there exercises a lot of control over their citizens...

It's because the Vietnamese have respect for the law, and understand that if everybody follows the laws it will help reduce accidents and death. I do wonder if this attitude is stronger because of the foundations laid during the french colonization. 

Also fines for traffic offences are much more solid, a good example is some years back when Vietnam implemented the law about helmets. The start date for the new law was well publicized along with the penalties; from day 1, no helmet (everybody on the bike) and the bike is confiscated on the spot, never to be seen again and there is further discussion. 99% complied from day 1.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The national chief cop mentioned a week back that many traffic police have very little knowledge of the law.

Thats sad, but explains a lot, basically this is on the Government, they need to make changes, massive changes!

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm surprised that it isn't higher. I drove thousands of miles on Thai roads up north, and always wondered if I'd get home safely.

The stupidity that was exhibited on the roads was incredible.

However, I never saw a traffic cop on the road, so there was no incentive to drive within the rules.

Had there been one, the 'rules' would probably been followed, until they'd passed the cop.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, Misterwhisper said:

I am not sure if functioning brakes will be that crucially important if the person wedged behind the steering wheel has practically no driver education and in addition ignores pretty much every traffic rule and safety precaution known to civilized mankind.

Was in Bangkok yesterday and drive with a taximeter. He broke the traffic law multiply times. Thai people there get driver license, get it with no driving tests. And traffic law is not same over hole Thailand. Tourist city total different to many other towns in Thailand. All town there not are tourist city. They have to change rules, so the rules go be the same same all over Thailand.

Archived