BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
chevykanteve

Kidnappers In Roi-et Area

Heard the same a few days ago from the Surin area and had wanted to ask. But then I thought maybe it's just rumours... So there seems to be a bit of truth in it.

Reminds me a little about another one that circulates every few years where some robbers touch you and put you in some kind of trance, rob you or lead you to an ATM where you withdraw your money and give it to them. You "wake up" later not knowing anything happened but minus your gold or your money. :o

I heard of this before and was myself very skeptical. It happened 3 years ago to a mia farang in our village. At that time I rather thought of a new sick water buffalo story.

But:

This is NOT a urban legend. It happened again on 8 March 2007 in Kalasin (Amphor Na Mon) to the mother of Kit. Kit is in Switzerland, she is the wife of one of my friends. I know Kit and I know her family. They didn't invent this storry.

Under the influence of a gang, Kit's mother gave them 50'000 Baht from her bank account and 3 baht of gold. She was found in Na Mon babbling without making sence. When relatives came to pick her up she refused to go home and wanted to wait for her new friends. She begged not to inform the police. She came down from this drogs after some hours in the hospital. The police where informed and they have a video of the gang from a security camara in the bank.

She seams to have accepted a cookie from the gang, but initially she was just touched by them. It seams that the drogs can be applied through the skin.

Regards

Thedi

There are very recent reports from nearby villages ( I live in Pai) of four children missing....two were apparently seen being taken away in a minibus....one seven year old is missing...but I am told that the body of a four year old girl has been found nearby, with major organs missing....

the four year old is from the next village to where we live....I am extremely concerned, as I too have a young child....

Where would one go to ascertain the truth of this.....?who would I ask?

....... I don't know what to make of this. I don't doubt that some of the stories about kidnapping are true, but I wonder if there are elements of moral panic or urban myth.

I just heard a similar story...a village headman in a nearby village was proclaiming in his daily "loudspeaker" village news that children are being abducted and their body parts being sold for use in the medical field. I gotta tend to agree with citizen 33 above about the validity of some of these stories. Reminds me a little about another one that circulates every few years where some robbers touch you and put you in some kind of trance, rob you or lead you to an ATM where you withdraw your money and give it to them. You "wake up" later not knowing anything happened but minus your gold or your money. :o

Ah yes, I remember that one, , the gambling wife's perfect urban legend alibi. :D

Reminds me a little about another one that circulates every few years where some robbers touch you and put you in some kind of trance, rob you or lead you to an ATM where you withdraw your money and give it to them. You "wake up" later not knowing anything happened but minus your gold or your money. :o

Ah yes, I remember that one, , the gambling wife's perfect urban legend alibi. :D

It is not always an urban legend. See this threed:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110616

Regards

Thedi

Look, while I am not doubting the veracity of these kidnappings, it puzzles me why they haven't been reported in the newspapers. Maybe they have been covered in the thai language press, but I haven't seen anything in the Bangkok post and I read it virtually every day

Regarding the Kit's mother incident, I have found some interesting websites:

about forensic hypnosis: http://lifeloom.com/II1Ritzel.htm

can crime and hypnosis be related? : http://ezinearticles.com/?Can-Crime-and-Hy...?&id=474072

an article about "gypsy-thefts": http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...hypnotic01.html

and finally something on susceptibility to hypnosis:

quote:

There are 12 standard tests in the SHSS (Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale) which measure how well a subject conforms to the behavior of a classically hypnotized person. By these scales, about 5% of people are classically unhypnotizable, most people show moderate scores, and about 10% are hypnotizable to extreme depths and show the classical deep trance phenomena such as somnambulism, visual and auditory hallucinations, and ability to remain deeply in hypnosis with eyes open.

unquote

quoted from: http://www.skepdic.com/hypnosis.html

It is not always an urban legend. See this threed:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110616

Regards

Thedi

I remember that thread too. I still stand by my first statement.

Our housekeeper today out of the clear blue told us that a four year old child was abducted yestereday in Udon, by people driving a van.

True not true got me

Since starting this thread I've been astonished at the responses, especially in terms of how wide-spread these kidnappings would appear to be, as they (apparently) encompass a large section of Eissan. Repeated references to organ removal give me a grizzly thought: Not just anyone can cut out organs for resale purposes. Not just anyone would know how to preserve those organs prior to resale. The person(s) actually doing the cutting would have to have had medical training. A doctor????

Next, and in direct reference to my original post, I have a copy of a local police wanted poster of one of the kidnappers. That poster includes a description of the van. Mr. MODERATOR, WHOEVER YOU ARE, MAY I UPLOAD IT AS AN ATTACHMENT FOR ALL TO SEE? The Phontong police handed it out to many people, so I assume it's in the public domain.

As a final thought, I too wonder why major (international) news organizations haven't picked up on this story. The fact that the two Bangkok English dailies haven't talked about it doesn't surprise me. How often are Eissan-related problems discussed in those papers, apart from politically sensitive issues or stories related to rice or the weather? And of course there's the tourism industry ($$$) to consider.....

The fact that the two Bangkok English dailies haven't talked about it doesn't surprise me. How often are Eissan-related problems discussed in those papers, apart from politically sensitive issues or stories related to rice or the weather? And of course there's the tourism industry ($$$) to consider.....

If this was happening on the scale suggested here, then it would be covered. As I said before, I wouldn't dismiss the whole thing but I don't believe there is anything going on as widespread as the rumours would have you believe - and I'm not as yet convinced by the bodies with organs missing.

Apart from Farma's BIL, who can confirm some kidnappings, no-one has actually got anything firsthand, have they?

The fact that the two Bangkok English dailies haven't talked about it doesn't surprise me. How often are Eissan-related problems discussed in those papers, apart from politically sensitive issues or stories related to rice or the weather? And of course there's the tourism industry ($$$) to consider.....

If this was happening on the scale suggested here, then it would be covered. As I said before, I wouldn't dismiss the whole thing but I don't believe there is anything going on as widespread as the rumours would have you believe - and I'm not as yet convinced by the bodies with organs missing.

Apart from Farma's BIL, who can confirm some kidnappings, no-one has actually got anything firsthand, have they?

"..as the rumours would have you (=me) believe..." Did you note the "would appear", "apparently", etc., words in my post? You are not "yet convinced by the bodies with organs missing." Neither did I say I was. We are in effect in agreement. Now let me ask you something: WHY "would it be covered" if it "was happening on the scale suggested here?" I mean, covered by the local press. If in fact you meant why would it not be covered by the international press, the answer might be because it wasn't (initially) covered by the local English-language press. I've personally known several "foreign correspondents" who gain their inspirations mostly while sitting around in the FCCT without actually going into the field. This is why so many Western news stories regarding Thailand tend so often to be ..... shall we say re-written?....versions of stories published previously in Bangkok English-language newspapers (both of them).

Again, to Mr. Moderator, wherever you are: may I please upload the wanted poster?

Last weekend at least 20 people got killed in road accidents. And nobody in this forum got first hand evidence.

I too mistrust rumors. But this is more than a rumor. The Police in Manchakiri (Khon Kaen) warned all schools to check who gets the kids after school and to warn all childeren to not go with anybody they do not know.

It may not be in Bangkok Post. But many things are not in Bangkok Post.

Regards

Thedi

Last weekend at least 20 people got killed in road accidents. And nobody in this forum got first hand evidence.

I too mistrust rumors. But this is more than a rumor. The Police in Manchakiri (Khon Kaen) warned all schools to check who gets the kids after school and to warn all childeren to not go with anybody they do not know.

It may not be in Bangkok Post. But many things are not in Bangkok Post.

Regards

Thedi

Thanks for your input, Thedi. My wife's school (she is a teacher in Phontong District here in Roi-et) received the same warnings, as did all the other schools in this area. Those warnings were disseminated the same time the aforementioned police wanted poster was handed out.

And yes, many things are not in the Bangkok Post; I suspect that will continue to be the case for some years to come.

You know I really noticed a very amazing thing today, I had pretty much stopped posting on the Udon local forum simply because it had become to cynical. When the housekeeper came in to day that I had not spoken one word about this to or for that matter to my wife. With her story of a child abduction in Udon on local Thai TV last night. It was attacked immediatley lot faster then here. I would not have posted it if I didn't think it was serious, as I knew it would be attacked.

I know rumors abound here, take the bombings here in Issan as an example, after the Bangkok Bombings. It does happen.

I felt the original poster of this topic was showing a genuine concern, for the children in his area. Seems to me that would be worth celebrating, that there are people in the community that care enough to try.

I hope the entire thing is bogus that would be wonderful. But I would hate to think that someone in our community knew of this and said nothing for fear of being rediculed.

At worse case folks maybe someone is just watching thier children a little more cloesly is that a bad thing?

Fact is in the world we live on today no matter what part of it we are in children are abducted everyday. Not news that chidren are still sold into slavery in our poiltically correct modern world.

So applaud the original poster.