Tragic Phoenix goes up for auction

webfact

Tragic Phoenix goes up for auction

By The Nation

54d7129f31c7f7d9680594946ab04825-sld.jpe

The double-decker cruise boat Phoenix, which sank off Phuket last July killing 47 Chinese tourists, is among 48 items that the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) will auction off on Wednesday at its head office in Bangkok.

Many of the dead were retrieved from the boat, though its crew and captain escaped unharmed via life rafts. The incident was followed by a sharp fall in Chinese visitors to Thailand. 

On Tuesday, prospective buyers were allowed to check the condition of the sale items at various sites. Those interested in the Phoenix, which will carry a starting price of Bt900,000, had to visit the Rattanachai Shipyard in Phuket. Also up for auction are amulets and jewellery which were on display at the AMLO head office. Photos and information on auction items are also available at www.amlo.go.th.

c355b51af0c7eaff327b697eb00b7f53-sld.jpe

Other items going under the hammer on Wednesday include the lease-purchase agreements for condominium units in Chon Buri province. Among them is a 71.23-square-metre unit at the New Nordic’s Palace Condominium with a starting price of Bt13 million, 55sqm N-CVB-407 room at the C-View Boutique Condominium project starting at Bt4.4 million and a 30sqm room at the South Point Pattaya (Bt3 million).

391020f2d82b7c458a637ee22dd059d8-sld.jpe

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369729

thenation_logo.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auctioning off that boat ... seriously? Man, talk about insensitive. Then again though, never know here, it could end up with a new paint job and back in the water somewhere after a few "repairs" ... blimey.

38 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Auctioning off that boat ... seriously? Man, talk about insensitive. Then again though, never know here, it could end up with a new paint job and back in the water somewhere after a few "repairs" ... blimey.

All they have to do is bring in 9 monks to chant for a while and it's all hunky-dory; Clean slate.

23 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

So when bought, will the death boat be allowed to carry passengers again? Will it be put back into service?

Most likely - though sure they would have the decency to change the name! remember the fire in at Royal Jomtien hotel in 1997 when over a hundred people in total died, the hotel was shut down - yet it is still operating today - Money #1 here.

I'm not superstitious, but if I were in the market for a boat, I most certainly wouldn't consider that one.

I remember the incident, but I hadn't realized until now that the captain and all the crew escaped unharmed!!! How the dickens does that happen? Passengers go down with the boat they they get away!?!?!

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Any other self respecting country would have cut this death trap up quietly as not to cause anymore anguish for the deceased's relatives????

In fact, it's been reported many times that the vessel breaks many rules and laws in terms of it's design and construction and more.

So how can the authorities allow it to be sold as is?  Is this not also breaking the law? 

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In fact, it's been reported many times that the vessel breaks many rules and laws in terms of it's design and construction and more.

So how can the authorities allow it to be sold as is?  Is this not also breaking the law? 

You can buy it, up to you, but getting it registered may be a slight problem.

2 hours ago, Brigand said:

And renamed Titanic.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Any other self respecting country would have cut this death trap up quietly as not to cause anymore anguish for the deceased's relatives????

But when a country rate money far more important than human lives, why be surprised ?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Among them is a 71.23-square-metre unit at the New Nordic’s Palace Condominium with a starting price of Bt13 million, 55sqm N-CVB-407 room at the C-View Boutique Condominium project starting at Bt4.4 million and a 30sqm room at the South Point Pattaya (Bt3 million).

This must be a misprint.

Those "starting prices"  for such small units are insane.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

New tourist attraction in Pattaya - Chitanic.

150 THB entry with free all you can drink water

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

This must be a misprint.

Those "starting prices"  for such small units are insane.

I think they are intentionally insane so nobody comes to the auction and they can flog them off to buddies for next to nothing.

9 hours ago, djayz said:

I'm not superstitious, but if I were in the market for a boat, I most certainly wouldn't consider that one.

I remember the incident, but I hadn't realized until now that the captain and all the crew escaped unharmed!!! How the dickens does that happen? Passengers go down with the boat they they get away!?!?!

Just like that cruise ship with the greek crew that sunk.  The greek captain and much of the crew motored into port in lifeboats.  The captain said "Once I say abandon ship, it is every man for himself". 

14 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Just like that cruise ship with the greek crew that sunk.  The greek captain and much of the crew motored into port in lifeboats.  The captain said "Once I say abandon ship, it is every man for himself". 

Which Greek cruise ship? When? 

Link please. I'd love to read about that tragic event too. 

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Which Greek cruise ship? When? 

Link please. I'd love to read about that tragic event too. 

MTS Oceanos.  There is some great footage of the rescue efforts, stories of how some of the ship's entertainers reacted and helped organized the rescue efforts.  "Captain Avranas famously said, “When I order abandon the ship, it doesn’t matter what time I leave. Abandon is for everybody. If some people like to stay, they can stay.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Oceanos

Unlike some captains such as William Thomas Turner (pictured below) was the captain of the RMS Lusitania who survived two ship sinkings by German torpedoes and did his best to stay on board until his hat was under water.  That's the kind of dedication one wants in a captain, although not his luck!

Archived