Tragic Phoenix goes up for auction

webfact

4 hours ago, Tonyt00 said:

What about car accidents, where people die? The cars are scrapped and parts sold off, and no one cries! 

I think this boat stuff comes from somewhere mid last millenia when boats went down all the time. Some sailor thing. Pump it full of urethane and plop a couple of hundred Chinese on the top for all I care. It's a heap of metals and other assorted junk.

It's the traveller that has the responsibility in Thailand to avoid death traps like the local boats. Thais don't care, as long as there's baht to be made.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Herald of Free Enterprise was salvaged and they did try to sell it but nobody would buy it so it went for scraping.

I would say the are hoping it would be bought for use in another country, but looking at the pictures there is substantial damage to the superstructure, my guess is only the hull is salvageable, it will probably end up going for scrap for a price less than it cost to salvage it. 

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

The Herald of Free Enterprise was salvaged and they did try to sell it but nobody would buy it so it went for scraping.

I would say the are hoping it would be bought for use in another country, but looking at the pictures there is substantial damage to the superstructure, my guess is only the hull is salvageable, it will probably end up going for scrap for a price less than it cost to salvage it. 

Yep, and renamed Flushing Range.  Just waiting for the usual posters to come rushing to complain of typical British Greed, why wasn't it refloated to offer ghoulish tours to British tourists, what else can you expect from the Brits - they only care about making money.  Blah blah blah.

51 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep, and renamed Flushing Range.  Just waiting for the usual posters to come rushing to complain of typical British Greed, why wasn't it refloated to offer ghoulish tours to British tourists, what else can you expect from the Brits - they only care about making money.  Blah blah blah.

Your full of it. :bah:

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Due to the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster many new rules and regulations regarding roll on roll off ferries were enacted including amendments to SOLAS and IMO requirements.

What has happened subsequent to the deaths of 47 Chinese on the Phoenix?

What have the Thai authorities done to ensure safer boat travel for tourists visiting Thailand?

Stricter registration and thereby inspection requirements, better lifejackets on all tourist boats, all boats have been checked and improvements have been made.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

How does stricter registration lead to "requirements for inspection?"

What Class Society rules do Thai registered boats follow to show that they are compliant with international maritime laws such as SOLAS and IMO?

Have the lifejackets been replaced on all boats as you claim and are they compliant to SOLAS requirements? What provisions are there to check they are SOLAS compliant and that they are being maintained and inspected on a regular basis?

How can you assure us that "all boats have been checked" and can you detail the improvements that were made as a result of these checks and why this was done?

Thanks in advance.

Sure, look at the old threads about this.

Btw, I said inspection requirements, not requirements for inspection.

You're welcome.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:31 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Due to the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster many new rules and regulations regarding roll on roll off ferries were enacted including amendments to SOLAS and IMO requirements.

What has happened subsequent to the deaths of 47 Chinese on the Phoenix?

What have the Thai authorities done to ensure safer boat travel for tourists visiting Thailand?

Can I get back to you on that?

Soon, I promise, I have to go and put some lard on the cat's boil.

Archived