Jump to content
BANGKOK 16 June 2019 15:31
webfact

Woman killed, nine people injured in seven-vehicle pileup that covered road with catfish in Nakhon Si Thammarat

Recommended Posts

Woman killed, nine people injured in seven-vehicle pileup that covered road with catfish in Nakhon Si Thammarat

By The Nation

 

S__21667869.jpg

Picture: 77JOWO

 

A woman was killed and nine other people injured in a pileup involving four pick-up trucks, a sedan and two motorcycles on a road in Nakhon Si Thammarat on Tuesday morning, police said.

 

Police said the accident happened at 9am on the Nakhon Si Thammarat-Pak Phanang road in front of the 17th regional office of the Government Saving Bank in Tambon Pak Nakhon, Muang district.

 

Pennapha Boonrodchu, 43, was killed by a broken neck when her motorcycle was hit by a pickup after the four trucks piled up on one another. Pennapha also suffered broken limbs from the impact.

 

Pennapha was about to make a turn into the bank when the accident occurred.

 

Another motorcycle was also hit and the rider injured, police said.

 

Police have yet to investigate the accident cause and determine charges. The pickup that hit and killed Pennapha also hit a car parked roadside.

 

One of the pickups was carrying hundreds of kilograms of catfish, which spilled on the road.

 

The injured people were rushed to Nakhon Si Thammarat Hospital.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369735

 

thenation_logo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, webfact said:

One of the pickups was carrying hundreds of kilograms of catfish, which spilled on the road.

Well, there is one possible cause straight away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lowest load carrying capacity of a Vigo is 900kg I have read. So I doubt weigh was a factor. More likely overloaded and throwing off balance along with an inability to drive and an even smaller capacity to give a darn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something fishy about this story...........

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When driving here maintain eyes in the back of your head.

Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane.

Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway.

Expect people to be driving very recklessly, and do not expect the highway patrol to do anything about it. They never, ever engage in traffic safety. 

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. 

 

Always use your Thai drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee. When they ask for a fine, I like to just say no. If they give me a hard time, I ask for the top officer present. I say no to him. Usually, if you give them a really hard time, and push back hard enough, they just let you go. They like an easy mark. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Well, there is one possible cause straight away.

Very True!!  In New Mexico, Albuquerque, USA....state his flat with straight highways running for 100 miles...same thing.  Falling asleep was one issue, the majority were caused by drunk and stupidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sorry for the catfish even though they were probably already dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

When driving here maintain eyes in the back of your head.

Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane.

Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway.

Expect people to be driving very recklessly, and do not expect the highway patrol to do anything about it. They never, ever engage in traffic safety. 

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. 

 

Always use your Thai drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee. When they ask for a fine, I like to just say no. If they give me a hard time, I ask for the top officer present. I say no to him. Usually, if you give them a really hard time, and push back hard enough, they just let you go. They like an easy mark. 

WOW!!! What an existence here! So very depressing, but your comments are real, accurate, and must be incorporated if one is to survive here...and I do mean survive literally! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mike787 said:

WHy you NOT wear helmet and I get a blank stare

Perhaps they're wondering why you're speaking pidgin English to them?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Perhaps they're wondering why you're speaking pidgin English to them?

You assumed!  That was the first mistake! Though the Thai individuals I am specifically referring to in my comment were not at a Shakespeare English level, they spoke and understood my statement.

However, if we were to consider your statement within the context of driving on Thai roads, yes, their reaction is clueless, devoid of common sense, reasoning skills, and awareness of others on the the roads.  Hence, we have proven data demonstrating the astronomical death tolls -sadly!  

I wish I was wrong, and you are correct in your defense.

Edited by mike787

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mike787 said:

I have asked Thais why you people kill so much?...WHy you NOT wear helmet and I get a blank stare. 

Was it the follow up question to: "I have 2 crab fried rice, please?'

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cereal said:

The lowest load carrying capacity of a Vigo is 900kg I have read. So I doubt weigh was a factor. More likely overloaded and throwing off balance along with an inability to drive and an even smaller capacity to give a darn.

Have you seen the size of the springs they fit to some pickups,

would not look out of place on a ten tonne truck,huge springs

and 4 shock absorbers on the rear,bit bigger tyres,but i don't 

think the brakes will have been upgraded !!!

 

regards worgeordie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...