Political parties still unclear in forming new govt

webfact

Political parties still unclear in forming new govt

11337895348ca0bdafe08076d5413f78.jpg

BANGKOK, 21st May 2019 (NNT) - Following the March 24 general election, it is not yet clear which political alliances will have enough seats to set up a coalition government. However, all eyes are now on the Bhumjaithai and Democrat parties after they have agreed to pair up to increase their leverage and boost the political alliances’ chances of forming a new government.

The Bhumjaithai Party leader, Anutin Charnvirakul, said he has not made any decision over which camp to back in forming a coalition government because his party’s MPs and executive members will have to discuss the issue first. Mr. Anutin said no political alliances have approached Bhumjaithai at this time. He said Bhumjaithai and Democrat members have yet to discuss the possibility of forming a third political alliance to set up a government. The Bhumjaithai leader insisted that a coalition government must accept its main cannabis policy. If not, his party would not mind to join the opposition.

"It’s very important that they accept this policy of Bhumjaithai because we have made a promise to the people and we have to implement it. If we join other parties that do not agree with our policy, it would be difficult to work together. For the Bhumjaithai Party, we believe in the policy of liberalizing marijuana cultivation, especially when it is being used for medical purposes and for treating patients. This policy makes people vote for Bhumjaithai. This is important and any coalition partner must come into terms with us, if the opportunity of setting up a government arises. If we join a coalition and they agree, then we can work together. If they decline, then the policy is dropped and how can Bhumjaithai stay in the coalition"

The Democrat Party leader, Jurin Laksanavisit, said the decision to join a coalition government would rest with the Democrat executives and MPs. Mr. Jurin said the Democrat Party has not called an official meeting at this time, but it will take place when the time is right.

"Not yet. This was the first meeting of the new executive members. Regarding the political direction and the possibility of joining a coalition government, our executive members and MPs will have to call another meeting to discuss these issues. Tomorrow, I will call a first meeting with the party’s MPs in the afternoon. If there is any update, I will notify you. Nothing is confidential."

After many sides have commented that there is disunity inside the Democrat Party, the Democrat leader said it is normal for party members to have different views. The Democrat Party will hold its first ever meeting with its MPs today. There will also be an orientation as the party has more than 10 MPs who are new faces in politics. The Democrat Party will ensure that the new MPs know their roles in the House of Representatives, as they are different from election campaigning. The Democrat members will be made aware that the party is no longer a major political party and a new speaker will be appointed.

The Chartthaipattana Party leader, Kanchana Silpa-archa, said she will call a meeting with the party’s core members and 10 MPs after the opening of parliament on May 24. The meeting will discuss the party’s political direction before the House of Representatives and Senate will pick their speakers and deputy speakers the following day.

The Thai People Justice Party leader, Pichet Sathirachawal, said the 11 small political parties have supported Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha as prime minister because they want to see the country move forward. Mr. Pichet said the decision to join the Palang Pracharath Party-led alliance is not about gaining seats in the cabinet. He said the Palang Pracharath Party has promised the 11 small parties that their policies will be implemented. The party members will perform their duties as MPs regardless of the cabinet posts.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-21

I like that he is strong on the marijana liberalisation. In the position he is now he can push it through. Those 2 parties are now in a great position to get what they want. The others just have to bow to their wishes. That is how coalitions work.

I like that he is strong on the marijana liberalisation. In the position he is now he can push it through. Those 2 parties are now in a great position to get what they want. The others just have to bow to their wishes. That is how coalitions work.

Let's hope. I wouldn't care who was PM if they legalized marijuana. It's so heart breaking to watch the hundreds of videos and tv shows with dope being smoking. You know the type people smoking dabs, bongs, big fat joints and your sat there "gosh, I used to do that back in my home country" your mouth drewling.

12 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Let's hope. I wouldn't care who was PM if they legalized marijuana. It's so heart breaking to watch the hundreds of videos and tv shows with dope being smoking. You know the type people smoking dabs, bongs, big fat joints and your sat there "gosh, I used to do that back in my home country" your mouth drewling.

I don't think it will go so fast but I think this is a chance to make it go faster. They now have the power to set policy. 

14 minutes ago, Charlie1 said:

Bumjaithai: Bargaining dope for democracy. Un-f@king-believable. What a jerk!

And of course they have the hearts of all the potheads on TVF.

Now if Prayuth would be so smart to lower the alcohol taxes, he would go from the most hated to the most favorable on this forum in a whim.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:45 PM, robblok said:

I doubt either are much interested in pushing their policies . Both are interested in who ever makes better offer with more power.

PPP not willing to give up top spots, PTP clearly not offering enough.

in the mean time uncle Prayut is starting to panic and I am

guessing for a good reason ????

Archived