New Ford Everest

New Ford Everest

by Expat Life

1.png

They delivered the new Everest bi turbo and I purposely did not read a review or check the technical spec wanting to drive the vehicle, blind, as it were.

It is a big car and the visual updates were not obvious from the start, apart from perhaps the front grill. It is an attractive looking car with clean lines and so I guess Ford decided that ‘if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it’. I am a freak of nature being 195cms and 115kgs with a stiff bad back due to five separate spinal operations. Being very long in the torso and back I have trouble getting into most sedans. Not so with the Everest where you step up into the vehicle.

I climbed into the quality leather clad driving seat and the cabin looked and felt good. The dash was well laid out and the steering wheel was decked with buttons and controls. I pushed the new stop, start button and the dash and car sprang into action. I was impressed by the elevated seating position and the all round vision that the large side, front and rear windows afforded me.

I adjusted the mirrors, steering wheel, seat and drove off slowly. In city traffic the car is impeccably well behaved and the smooth 10 gear automatic transmission glides the large heavy car along nicely.

Ford has shown that smaller can be better by adding a 2.0 litre bi-turbo diesel engine to the range for this increasingly popular large SUV. There are of course many other versions but I drove the bi turbo on this occasion and I think that they got it right.

Although this four cylinder engine is much smaller in capacity than the standard 3.2 litre five cylinder engine, maximum power increases 14kW to 157kW, while a hefty 500Nm of torque – up 40Nm on the 3.2 litre engine – arrives at 1750 – 2000rpm. The delivery is noticeably smoother and quieter, giving the 2.0 litre Everest a strong, flowing, easy-to-drive manner for a vehicle of this size and type. 

Five or seven seats

The new engine/transmission package is standard on the Titanium (4WD only) model. The 2.0 litre diesel uses less fuel than the 3.2 litre model, with a consumption of 6.9L/100km for the rear-wheel-drive model and 7.1L/100km in the four-wheel-drive. Everest engines require add-blue, a urea fuel additive that reduces exhaust emissions, to meet emission requirements (unlike its Ranger pick up cousin, which is classified as a commercial vehicle).

Once up and rolling, the 10 speed auto does its job efficiently; the shifts are generally inconspicuous. With an extra four ratios it always seems to be in the right gear to make effective use of the engine’s strong low to mid range torque.

Everest is based on Ford’s Ranger pickup but was launched with a refined chassis and suspension set up to produce ride, handling and steering that are more civilised for a family friendly large SUV.

Minor tweaking has further improved the dynamics. It’s a comfortable highway cruiser and does a good job around town. 

More standard features

Apart from the mechanical changes, this update is relatively minor. Some features previously found only on the high-grade models are now standard across the range, such as keyless entry and push-button start, Ford’s SYNC 3 infotainment system with sat-nav, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, and digital radio.

From its looks and feel, Everest means business. You climb up into it but the appeal of its spacious, practical cabin and the commanding view from a high, upright seating position is unquestionable. Instrumentation, controls and switches are all logically placed and clearly marked.

Everest is now covered by a five year/unlimited kilometre warranty.

If you are looking for a family SUV then look no further as I am sure that this version will become a class leader amongst the many other also rans.

2.png

3.png

4.png

Source: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/new-ford-everest/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand

I've had a new Everest now for over 6 months.  I don't have the 4X4 with bi turbo though.  I figure I will never actually need 4 wheel.  For the size of vehicle it gets great milage.  I get about 950km on a full tank.  The only minor complaints I have are that if you have the air set to automatic you have to turn recirculate back on every time you start the car(or forget to until you see a big billow of black smoke ahead of you.) and the blind spot from the column of the front windshield to the front door is a little large.  

I am very happy with it though.  Plenty of power and maneuvers good for a vehicle of that size.

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

I hope you got paid for your review/ad. If you read the papers their  engines  or something with their pickups have problems? 

Based on personal experience, no problems over 6 years ownership with my Ranger and the service is good too. 

The posters here on the motor forums always slamming Fords are ones never owned one, how odd?

Will not hesitate buying another Ford again.

1 minute ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The posters here on the motor forums always slamming Fords are ones never owned one, how odd?

I think a lot of people just jump on the band wagon of bagging the Fords, like you say having never owned one.

Sure there was a time when the criticism was maybe justified to an extent, those days are gone though as Ford have caught up with all other manufactures.

Like you, I never had any issues in 8 yrs with my previous Ranger and will more than likely buy another, unless another more attractive offer comes along !!

Actually there are problems with the 2.0 Bi-turbo which are being reported on quite a few Thai message boards and facebook groups.

The main problems that are being reported are:

1. After 7,000 km or so some cars are reporting that there was almost no engine oil left in the engine.

2. There are issues with coolant and oil mixing (bad seals, etc). 

3. Problems with the charging system (alternator) not charging the battery.

On the other hand, any car will have issues (same goes for Toyota, Nissan, Honda, or other brands).

No need to think of Ford as being lower quality which it isn't. 

1 minute ago, JoeW said:

Actually there are problems with the 2.0 Bi-turbo which are being reported on quite a few Thai message boards and facebook groups.

The main problems that are being reported are:

1. After 7,000 km or so some cars are reporting that there was almost no engine oil left in the engine.

2. There are issues with coolant and oil mixing (bad seals, etc). 

3. Problems with the charging system (alternator) not charging the battery.

On the other hand, any car will have issues (same goes for Toyota, Nissan, Honda, or other brands).

No need to think of Ford as being lower quality which it isn't. 

You are correct in your post of course but correct me if I am mistaken  Is it the fact that when they have a problem with their Fords there seems to be a high number of complaints with Ford after sales service compared to other makes ?

27 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You are correct in your post of course but correct me if I am mistaken  Is it the fact that when they have a problem with their Fords there seems to be a high number of complaints with Ford after sales service compared to other makes ?

I think that in the past there might have been big issues with the Ford after sales service (Fiesta gear issues, etc), but I think recently they have stepped up their game. I see that users of other brands are also complaining about customer service at their dealers. I think it depends on the location of the dealer. When I drove my Mitsubishi PJS, I thought that the dealer on Sukkhumvit road was horrible, but the dealer on Srinakarin road was amazing. Same Mitsubishi brand, different dealer, different standard of service. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 12:07 AM, MatteoBassini said:

This still doesn't have a telescoping steering wheel adjustment. When I test drove it, it felt as comfortable as my Fiesta. Which is pathetic.

Are you talking about the Everest? You can adjust the steering wheel column ... Maybe you are a strange shape as you are the first person that I have heard 'say' it is Fiesta like in comfort level ... our family have both and I can assure you I have a huge preference for one and it is not the 'bounce baby' ...

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

The Everest does have adjustable tilt but not telescopic.

Do you know in 3.5 years I never noticed that ... the normal position just seems so natural ... it really is a very pleasent vehicle to drive ...MrsJ is just 161cm and she has no complaints ... just thankful no ad blue as in Aussie land some seem to have a little problem with it ...

Archived