Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Electric bill oddities


Bkkjimbo

Recommended Posts

Ok so we get our electric through PEA which I understand is the best place to get electric. (Direct)

 

It's a small bungalow 60 talang wah.

2 air conditioners. At least 1 runs 24/7 5 days a week.

 

So in December until March we averaged 250 units of use per month. Bills are coming in at around 2k. Bit less maybe.

 

Last month it says 496 units were used.

This month up until 19th it says 608 units were used.

 

We have recently hot a small oven for baking but that's it and it's not used more than 2 hours a week. That's the last month it was our purchased.

 

The unit usage jump seems odd given the last month or so it's become cooler.

 

Anyone else seeing such unexplained unit increases?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bkkjimbo said:

We have recently hot a small oven for baking but that's it and it's not used more than 2 hours a week.

Don't use it for a month and find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bkkjimbo said:

The unit usage jump seems odd given the last month or so it's become cooler.

Cooler?

Where do you live?

April and May baking hot here and most parts of Thailand.

 

What's the power rating of this oven?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bkkjimbo said:

Anyone else seeing such unexplained unit increases? 

Our February consumption 227 kWh, 890.41 B.

Last reading 16 May, 498 kWh, 2101.95 B.

 

Unexplained? No. I was prepared for 3000 B+.

Never used that much AC since coming to Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that your air conditioner may seem to run constantly... That is because the inside fan never shuts off and takes relatively little electricity to run... Its the compressor outside that uses the lions share if electricity (probably 90%)... That compressor cycles on and off... On a mildly hot day say running 30% of the time... as the days get hotter the compressor cycles on more to 100%... Your AC energy use can double or triple and you notice nothing... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bkkjimbo said:

We are in khon Kaen and it became noticeably cooler last month compared to previous 3 months.

Cooler than February?

 

What does 24/7 5 days a week mean? (just kidding)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bkkjimbo said:

We are in khon Kaen and it became noticeably cooler last month compared to previous 3 months.

You must have special weather there. I am 50km north of you and it is only the last 7~10 days that have cooled down here previous to that we didn't need the shower water heaters on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll find PEA upped their rates just after the general election. Everyone around where I live is kicking up about it.

 

 
Quote

 

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) will raise the electricity charge for the January to April period in 2019 to an average of 3.6396 baht per kilowatt-hour (unit), up from 3.5966 baht currently.8 Nov 2018

 

 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Our February consumption 227 kWh, 890.41 B.

Last reading 16 May, 498 kWh, 2101.95 B.

 

Unexplained? No. I was prepared for 3000 B+.

Never used that much AC since coming to Thailand.

Units usage

 

19.11.61 - 298

20.12.61 - 226

20.01.62 - 242

17.02.62 - 261

20.03.62 - 496

19.04.62 - 608

20.05.62 - 590

 

Jan bill - 947.84

Feb bill - just awaiting Info as Mrs mislaid this not in file.....261 units

March- 2084.24... 496 units

April - 2600.25... 608 units

May - 2517.24... 590 units

 

This oven is 1400w just a small table top oven.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bkkjimbo said:

Units usage

 

19.11.61 - 298

20.12.61 - 226

20.01.62 - 242

17.02.62 - 261

20.03.62 - 496

19.04.62 - 608

20.05.62 - 590

 

Jan bill - 947.84

Feb bill - just awaiting Info as Mrs mislaid this not in file.....261 units

March- 2084.24... 496 units

April - 2600.25... 608 units

May - 2517.24... 590 units

 

This oven is 1400w just a small table top oven.

 

 

 

 

 

1

So as it gets hotter, air conditioning uses more electricity...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our current power bill from PEA is unsurprisingly our highest ever, 4800 baht. Previous record before this year was just over 3000 baht.

 

We have three air conditioners, never on 24/7 but the past couple of months... daily, one 3-12hrs, second 0-3hrs, another for 6hrs. I rarely use AC but have it running right now otherwise it would still be 34c inside. I normally try to spend part of March to May outside Thailand but it wasn't possible this year. Up to 34c outside is ok for me but lately it has been 37-41c week after week after week so I have given in to using AC more than usual. Even resorted to hanging out at local shopping centres more, for free AC just like the locals 🙂

 

19.11.61 - 550

20.12.61 - 582

20.01.62 - 503

17.02.62 - 506

20.03.62 - 667

19.04.62 - 901

20.05.62 - 1094

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ukrules said:

My bill was 10,400 this month. That's up on last month, it's 100% because of the heat and my continued use of the A/C units.

 

I feel better after reading than ...by the way do you and Naam live next to each other ....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Visiting my soon to be ex-gf, she refuses to get the ac cleaned. I have asked her multiple times to call someone and I WILL PAY.  I do not speak thai.  She refuses but complains about the bill being 2500 last month whereas others pay 800. 

 

This thread has me worried.....we had an argument recently about the higher price. I was thinking she is trying to triple charge me without showing the bill....but she could be right since she NEVER CLEANS her ac for YEARS.

 

I cleaned the filter for her and the water was black/gray coming off.....one ac filter had 30 dead ants in it for god knows how many years.

 

Anyone else have experiences with arrogant thai gfs who never listen?

 

So what do we conclude?  Are we all being scammed into paying much more on the bill by the company?  Easy to artificially raise the amount used. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

So what do we conclude?  Are we all being scammed into paying much more on the bill by the company? 

 

Do you have access to the meter to check the readings? Is it a house, condo, apartment?

 

A choked A/C will certainly be using more power than it needs to, it probably needs both indoor and outdoor units cleaning and a gas level check.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crossy said:

 

Do you have access to the meter to check the readings? Is it a house, condo, apartment?

 

A choked A/C will certainly be using more power than it needs to, it probably needs both indoor and outdoor units cleaning and a gas level check.

 

its a condo

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

Visiting my soon to be ex-gf, she refuses to get the ac cleaned. I have asked her multiple times to call someone and I WILL PAY.  I do not speak thai.  She refuses but complains about the bill being 2500 last month whereas others pay 800. 

I dont speak Thai either but I dont find it very hard to walk into an air-con shop and use Google Translate on my phone to get them to come out and clean the air-con. In fact nearly all of them understand "clean air-con" in English. Most places here charge the same 400-500B to clean an air-con and most are of average quality so it doesnt make a lot of difference which one you choose, especially as in your case any sort of cleaning job would be an improvement.

If you dont know how to explain the location in Thai just carry the phone number of the condo Juristic Office and get the air-con cleaner to call them up for directions in Thai.

Failing all that, just go to Numchai or Powerbuy who will also do it for around 500-600B. They always have someone who speaks English, or can get one on the phone.

 

The only thing that you really have to watch out for is that many cleaners dont want to wash the outside unit properly. You may have to insist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 8:09 PM, Yellowtail said:

Cooler than February?

 

What does 24/7 5 days a week mean? (just kidding)

its a maths question....or a shorter working week.

Instead of there being 7 days in a week....this guys week is only FIVE!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
its a maths question....or a shorter working week.
Instead of there being 7 days in a week....this guys week is only FIVE!!!


I assumed as much, but would that not then be 24/5?
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I do not buy the numbers. Bills doubling would take a lot more heat than this imo. It is a conspiracy. 

Is electricity tiered - i.e. does the per unit cost go up the more you use?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Is electricity tiered - i.e. does the per unit cost go up the more you use?

Yes, these are the current base rates before fuel surcharge (from the MEA website) :

image.png.a1cfe4257f665d31283c362950fc6232.png

 

Sophon 

Link to post
Share on other sites

About a year ago my meter developed a problem. For instance from 199 it did not go to 200 but to 300 and from 399 to 500 and so on. Complaint and got a new meter the next day. No problems anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...