To the slightly pompous member of a 4 ball today at the Fleet Golf course Sattahip

n210mp

2 hours ago, gmac said:

Thanks very much, I know the Kwan 9 hole which as you say is very short and about the only place I go these days as it is about 5 minutes from my house!  A longer course without a caddy would most welcome, so thanks for the locations. 

Thanks also for the invite to join you at Kwan golf but a 7 o'clock start would be difficult and I'm not sure my lousy golf could stand up to the scrutiny of 2 grumpy old curmudgeons! 

The invitation was for any of the courses gmac. Bob and i are not at all either critical or judgmental of the people we occasionally play with.

The only criteria we ask is that if you have the max HC  or are playing with a disability then no problem as long as you hit the ball in as quick a time as you can, in other words hit the ball and walk on, hit it again and walk on Etc  hahahaha

As long as the golf is not held up too much we have all the time in the world! (well not too much if tested against the average but enough certainly on the day)

2 hours ago, gmac said:

Just looked up the Royal Thai Marine course location and I'm sure I've played there before but always with a caddy.  Didn't realise it was possible to play without one.

edit)  Maybe not, looks like it is side by side with the Plutaluang course which is where I would have played.

gmac

I think that you are getting the Thai "marine course" mixed up with the Thai navy "recruitment"  9 hole course just near to the bridge walkover on Sukhumvit about 1.5 K from the main traffic lights at Bansare in the direction of Sattahip

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Where do your rules come from?

I'd like to see the ones from the course, in Thai.

Rooster

If you read the OP  you will see exactly where the source is from but to save you looking here it is;

It is also my understanding that most of the  Thailand Golf courses adopt one or the other of the top governing bodies as I dont read Thai I wouldn't know which direction to point you   

https://www.thoughtco.com/do-singles-have-play-through-right-1563910

As someone who does not play golf I have no clue about the rules. I do have an opinion about not letting idiots spoil my days. I would not worry about something like that. At least not as much as you seem to do. 

There will always be idiots around that can drive you crazy. But only if you let them. 

Just curious how 4 people could go faster then just 1, and if they indeed go faster what the problem is with letting them go ahead. I can imagine it would not be much fun to have people breathing in your neck or to know that you would be holding them up. (at least I would feel like that)

When I worked out in a gym if someone needed a machine I was using id share. Just to make things better for everyone. But I am too nice at times. 

i've played alot of golf over 40 years.  probably half the rounds as a single (my friends had to work so couldn't join me, my work schedule was variable).  i've never had a foursome pass me by as a single i can play must faster, even when the single is walking and the foursome is in a cart.  the OP's situation is a real outlier based on my experience. maybe this course design is unique, i don't know it.

when i encounter an issue, it is when i catch up to a foursome in front of me, that slows me down (i can't play through them as there is a foursome in front of them), and then the foursome behind me catches up.  no fivesomes allowed at most courses i play so i can't be invited to join one of the groups (unless it is the last couple holes, i've joined up in those cases and we broke the rules but the marshal's didn't yell at us).

when i'm sandwiched btwn foursomes as a single, i find another hole(s) to play and eventually return to the 'sandwich hole' and continue my round. sometimes it is getting dark and i can't finish the full 18 hole course but i've likely played more than 18 holes (played some holes twice, didn't play some holes).

in that case, you can't enter your 18 hole score for handicap purposes but the main course i played in USA allowed you to enter a 9 hole score that was somehow accounted for in your handicap/index.  and if you don't enter any score, not a big deal, there will be another round to play later.

i rarely have issues with players on the course.  i do remember one was a guy that joined my friend and i.  he thought he was a PGA pro (i'm a 20 index so barely break 100).  i walked over his putting line on several greens as i got confused where his ball was.  he would read the greens from 360 degrees around.  so i'd be hacking my ball out of a deep trap or high grass, never having looked much at the green, then i stroll up to the green and see the guy on the far side of the hole and i'm on the near side.  little did i know, this guy was over there lining up his putt from the farside of the hole even though his ball marker was right near my feet !!!  my fault but i assume a guy is standing in the vicinity of his ball and don't look for the actual ball marker.  my friend and i told him to go ahead and play on w/o us.  i think everyone was happy with that outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n210mp said:

" am 76, and started playing golf at age 13. I don't need to get into any pissing contest on handicaps. Like you" from your last reply

Hang on a minute there but  are you also getting forgetful in your?

dotage" 

Wasn't it your post, herewith I quote you that asked for my HC?

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

"As a matter of curiosity, what is your handicap?"

In other words  Lacessit you  brought the subject of handicaps up,  I only mentioned my handicap when you asked for it which makes  the opening statement of your last post a bit "disingenuous " your post and I quote again "I am 76, and started playing golf at age 13. I don't need to get into any pissing contest on handicaps. Like you,"

I have tried to be nice and courteous but now in view of your remarks and at best " forgetfulness"  must treat you as a "troll or minimally a flamer"

Its a pity you live so far away because you would fit in nicely with your "Curmudgeonly" ways in our little group where your attitude and forgetfulness of anything that doesn't suit your argument or debate would be used , indeed as it has been in your replies to the OP

But dont worry too much becasue like the 1/4 ball team who  yesterday managed to ruffle the waters, no harm was done and maybe just a little maybe in the winter of our summer  I,  like you in your replies secretly enjoy the stimulation of a good argument or debate.....Right or wrong seemingly irrelevant! 

Quite strange how we are trying to be nice to one another, and still managing to rub each other up the wrong way. Never mind, we are about 800 km apart, which means it won't be pitching wedges at dawn.

This morning, I was behind a Thai couple who were dreadfully slow, and never once looked behind them. Did stuff like leaving their clubs at the front of the green, hitting a second ball etc. Jai yenn yenn, I can't be bothered remonstrating with clueless golfers. No, I won't worry too much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Arnt all golfers snobs with their nose up their backside....rich mans game played by wannabees...

No, we are kindly, avuncular people who enjoy each other's company, irrespective of relative skill levels. We even forgive mistakes in spelling and punctuation.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buick said:

i rarely have issues with players on the course.  i do remember one was a guy that joined my friend and i.  he thought he was a PGA pro (i'm a 20 index so barely break 100).  i walked over his putting line on several greens as i got confused where his ball was.  he would read the greens from 360 degrees around.  so i'd be hacking my ball out of a deep trap or high grass, never having looked much at the green, then i stroll up to the green and see the guy on the far side of the hole and i'm on the near side.  little did i know, this guy was over there lining up his putt from the farside of the hole even though his ball marker was right near my feet !!!  my fault but i assume a guy is standing in the vicinity of his ball and don't look for the actual ball marker.  my friend and i told him to go ahead and play on w/o us.  i think everyone was happy with that outcome.

Lining up putts from the other side of the hole is for poseurs. A break can always be read with a plumb bob from the side the ball is.

I once played in a pro-am with an aspiring professional who thought he was hot stuff. He chipped me about my GF standing in the line of sight of his putt. I said " She's 100 feet away. If that puts you off, you'll never make it on the tour". He didn't.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, robblok said:

As someone who does not play golf I have no clue about the rules. I do have an opinion about not letting idiots spoil my days. I would not worry about something like that. At least not as much as you seem to do. 

There will always be idiots around that can drive you crazy. But only if you let them. 

Just curious how 4 people could go faster then just 1, and if they indeed go faster what the problem is with letting them go ahead. I can imagine it would not be much fun to have people breathing in your neck or to know that you would be holding them up. (at least I would feel like that)

When I worked out in a gym if someone needed a machine I was using id share. Just to make things better for everyone. But I am too nice at times. 

robbloko if you were waiting your turn  for  a particular machine in the gym and someone just walked on to it completely ignoring you, then you would be happy about that? 

As I have explained  (Or thought I did many time in this thread) The 4 ball didn't catch up to me because I was a slow player but becasue I took an extended break between the 5th and the 6th and was 25/30 yards away from the 6th Tee when the first two of the 4 ball team  in a buggy overtook me, in other words I had the "priority"  to the Tee and as I have previously explained if there had been no unpleasantness I wouldn't have cared less about letting them play through even though I was a lot faster in play than they were ! ( proof of that is that by the time I was on the 8th they were still on the green on the 6th) 

My OP was simply just to point out to Golfers on Thai-Visa forums  that in 2004 the rules changed, previously any single golfer  playing on his own would be considered to be on a Training or practice round and have no priority at all.

One of the 4 ball golfers made some sarcastic  comment about me not knowing the rules  and yes it did ruffle my feathers a little.

because there was no time to explain to him personally at that time about the 2004 USGA and RA rule change I thought it a reasonable idea to post a thread clarifying the rule and maybe avoiding conflicts in the future especially if as I suspect they follow the golf forum here!   

Edited by n210mp

I feel I need to borrow a "quip" from a regular poster on TV forums who sums up my present situation very adequately;

"I can explain till I am blue in the face but I cannot understand for you" !

12 minutes ago, n210mp said:

Please read my last post #42 and on this rather sad comment I realise I am Peeing against the wind end of!

Image result for peeing against the wind memes

Is that your normal grip? No wonder your handicap is 18.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, n210mp said:

robbloko if you were waiting your turn  for  a particular machine in the gym and someone just walked on to it completely ignoring you, then you would be happy about that? 

As I have explained  (Or thought I did many time in this thread) The 4 ball didn't catch up to me because I was a slow player but becasue I took an extended break between the 5th and the 6th and was 25/30 yards away from the 6th Tee when the first two of the 4 ball team  in a buggy overtook me, in other words I had the "priority"  to the Tee and as I have previously explained if there had been no unpleasantness I wouldn't have cared less about letting them play through even though I was a lot faster in play than they were ! ( proof of that is that by the time I was on the 8th they were still on the green on the 6th) 

My OP was simply just to point out to Golfers on Thai-Visa forums  that in 2004 the rules changed, previously any single golfer  playing on his own would be considered to be on a Training or practice round and have no priority at all.

One of the 4 ball golfers made some sarcastic  comment about me not knowing the rules  and yes it did ruffle my feathers a little.

because there was no time to explain to him personally at that time about the 2004 USGA and RA rule change I thought it a reasonable idea to post a thread clarifying the rule and maybe avoiding conflicts in the future especially if as I suspect they follow the golf forum here!   

If someone walked in on me id ask for a share but like you I would be a lot less willing to do so if they were rude and ignoring me. 

Sorry I did not really understand how they caught up with you. If you were much faster as them anyway then there was no point for them to overtake you and claim they were there first.

I have no knowledge of golf rules just common sense approach to things. I hate it if I bother someone (sometimes care to much as explained earlier). I am easy going. 

So because it was not a speed issue at all i see no reason for them to overtake you and to want to go before you. Just waiting a bit for you to go on with no chance of them ever overtaking you (4 to 1) would have been much better. 

I care a lot about not bothering others but when I feel im wronged (and I would probably in this case now that you explained it and they were rude) then I could be bothered by it.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, n210mp said:

Maybe I have been a little hard on you Lacessit  and in that " positive thought" will answer your question on the basis that it is asked in a nice  manner with no sting in its tail when I answer,  hahaha! ( you are too switched on to have any simple "Curiosity" 

I am 75  been playing golf since I was 66 and play off the "ladies Tees" together with another old curmudgeon  Bobbo a  74 year old Texan who has played golf since he was 9 years old. (the reason we play off the ladies tees is that in the last couple of months the walk in the heat and high humidity has been really harsh especially since we both have problems with leg injuries from our other hobby cycling. 

To answer your question and bit of info

Bob generously gives me a shot a hole,  ( Not long ago,In his early 60s Bob was a scratch golfer) so the answer is that when I play with Bob my HC is 18. It used to be a little less before I fell off my cycle in 2015 breaking my right leg in 5 places including compound fractures.

Bob and I play at the 2 Thai navy courses where you do not need to have a caddy  ( I am sure you are familiar with  them).

We walk 18 holes twice a week and visit the driving range maybe once a week. we also ride our bikes/bicycles 2/3 times a week around the Pattaya/Bangchang/ Sattahip areas averaging 50/60 Ks a ride.

I dont suppose for one minute that you will wish to play on the notorious watery and narrowish fairways  where we play but it would be interesting to maybe have a game with you and Learn if we could keep up to your pace?

It goes without saying that of course we would welcome another "curmudgeon " to make the golf that little bit more interesting. So you have an "open" invitation.       

When you ride a bike, do you let others ride through you?

Or stop and write an epistle about rude and pompous riders?

If you were on the course in front of me, I would also play through you just to piss you off and so the TVF readers get to laugh at another chapter of your pomposity

Get a life or go play putt putt

Edited by Reigntax
  • Haha 1

I'm reminded of the elderly golfer who was playing in front of a group very slowly. In frustration, they started to hit off while he was still in range. He sent his caddie back with the message: " Mr. Brown sends his compliments, and would like you to know while he may be playing slowly, he can play a lot more slowly if he wants".

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Reigntax said:

When you ride a bike, do you let others ride through you?

Or stop and write an epistle about rude and pompous riders?

If you were on the course in front of me, I would also play through you just to piss you off and so the TVF readers get to laugh at another chapter of your pomposity

Get a life or go play putt putt

Crackpot come to mind!

16 hours ago, n210mp said:

As I have explained  (Or thought I did many time in this thread) The 4 ball didn't catch up to me because I was a slow player but becasue I took an extended break between the 5th and the 6th

i'm not sure how long 'extended' is but that sounds like slow play to me.  you took a break and the group behind you caught up.

• Like 1

As usual with golf here, there is no etiquette or class. It is strictly a business. In my experience it is the Thai players who really do lack any of that through their arrogance and perception of ''I play golf so I am rich''. 

We were playing last month just outside Bangkok in a 2 ball (as we always do) and got stuck behind a 6 ball. Yes, a 6 ball! Try booking that size group in any normal country. 

They wouldn't let us play through for 3 holes. Neither of our caddies said anything to their caddies which was even more frustrating. Finally, after them p***ing around and holding us up on literally every shot they let us tee off before them. 

I love golf, but I really do not enjoy playing here unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Oh I long for the time (long ago) when George was around and there was some "semblance" of  logical and fair minded debate on TV forums. 

Yes there were some socially dysfunctional posters around but they were minimal and "drowned out by the healthy, reasoned and sometimes raucous  debate and discussion.

Alas all that is gone now we have posters who are  soooo unhappy with themselves,  "argumentative crackpots" who seemingly dont read all of the posts in a thread and apparently (in their own limited minds)   can summarise a thread with a cryptic and usually sarcastic one liner!

I'm retired with plenty of time to exercise the "grey matter" and in fact need all the stimulation I can muster  and very  happy for the Troll and flamers to do their worst, so bring it on lads, I am happy for the rhetoric (any rhetoric)  having nothing better to do than exercise my mind, play golf, cycle and wind up those who dont know  any better !

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Let them through, a lesson in humility.

Neeranam

you are  so right and I cannot argue with someone who is "right" but I do suffer from being vertically challenged and a Lancashire lad as well, who   if I pushed even at my age,  well I will not be pushed !   hahahaha

I will say hello first, I will offer a lady even one old enough to be my daughter my seat on a bus but I cannot be pushed into doing anything I dont want to do !

I will debate, argue in a nice and friendly manner but I will not be "browbeaten " by some halfwit spewing "one liners"  who doesn't take the time to read all the relevant posts on a particular thread!

However  thanks for the genuine and much needed  lesson in humility.....I will try to make some change and do as you advise!

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, robblok said:

If someone walked in on me id ask for a share but like you I would be a lot less willing to do so if they were rude and ignoring me. 

Sorry I did not really understand how they caught up with you. If you were much faster as them anyway then there was no point for them to overtake you and claim they were there first.

I have no knowledge of golf rules just common sense approach to things. I hate it if I bother someone (sometimes care to much as explained earlier). I am easy going. 

So because it was not a speed issue at all i see no reason for them to overtake you and to want to go before you. Just waiting a bit for you to go on with no chance of them ever overtaking you (4 to 1) would have been much better. 

I care a lot about not bothering others but when I feel im wronged (and I would probably in this case now that you explained it and they were rude) then I could be bothered by it.

Thank you robblok, no need for any apology, indeed thank  you for obviously re- looking at the thread and making your comment.

Golf is one of the best games in the world, it needs  strategy, tactics  science, physics, fitness, weather and some good luck to play it at all well.

I have met some of the best people whilst playing golf and certainly in the minority the worst. I feel grateful that at my age I can still walk 18 holes whilst dragging a big and heavy bag especially in this heat and humidity of the last 2/3 months.

The little "spat" the other day with only one member of the 4 ball was all that it was and my OP was to inform others who maybe didn't realise that a rule change on this subject  had been done in 2004 .

The priority of the "crackpots" with their instant judgmental one liners  who  obviously didn't read my OP or most of the relevant posts  was to condemn me for slow play, completely ignoring all the info of the rule change and also some very cheap places to play golf!

Thank you once again for you integrity.  

Just read 3/4 reactions from a serial "one liner" and he reacts with the sad icon ! (No names no pack drill)

Now I could be wrong and if I am I herewith apologise but pleeeeeese dont react with the "sad icon" ( I cannot read body language, innuendo or emotional icons) 

if you have  enough enthusiasm or interest  to add an icon then have enough guts to say something in words so  that   I can understand where you are coming from. Then if I deem fit I can enter a debate or argument with you but  Icons I simply dont understand the language other than the emotion which in this case seem totally unfitting to use 

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

As usual with golf here, there is no etiquette or class. It is strictly a business. In my experience it is the Thai players who really do lack any of that through their arrogance and perception of ''I play golf so I am rich''. 

We were playing last month just outside Bangkok in a 2 ball (as we always do) and got stuck behind a 6 ball. Yes, a 6 ball! Try booking that size group in any normal country. 

They wouldn't let us play through for 3 holes. Neither of our caddies said anything to their caddies which was even more frustrating. Finally, after them p***ing around and holding us up on literally every shot they let us tee off before them. 

I play at the Royal Thai navy courses in Sattahip  (the ones where you dont have a caddy)  and occasionally there is a 5 ball of presumably retired officers  that is slow moving and mostly  devoid of anything happening behind them but if they do take time from their talking, joking, gambling and generally having a whale of a time to look behind them, they give way and let us play through! Even if they have already Teed off!

When I used to play the bigger course around Pattaya I found that it was the Koreans who were the biggest culprits when it came to not  letting anyone through and the Thais the mosts courteous

On occasions when my golfing buddy isn't available and I am alone it is normal for me to be asked to join a group and the only time I have ever played on my is thriugh my choice when I needed some practice etc 

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

This is Thailand. I was once stuck behind an EIGHT ball at Hang Dong. 18 holes took 6.5 hours. I swore I would never play there again, and I haven't.

In Australia, that kind of behaviour would result in a lifetime ban. However, we are not in Australia.

Regrettably, Thais, Japanese and Koreans have about the same comprehension of golf course etiquette as I have of quantum mechanics. It is what it is, no point in getting stressed about it.

My personal record for 18 holes when I was younger is 1 hour 50 minutes. I was playing with a guy who, like me, didn't believe in mucking around.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, n210mp said:

Another crackpot

you said yourself that the group caught up with you as you took an extended break btwn holes.  how is that not 'slow play' ?  i once had to use the toilet facilities on the 7th hole and caught up with my group by skipping the 8th hole and 9th tee, caught them on the 9th green.  i know what it is like to take a break.

i read all of the OP and responses.  i think you have created a diversion of sorts and can't admit that you took a break and created the situation yourself.  forget the 'new rules' from 2004.  people play golf they way they want and some do it right and some do it wrong.  presenting them with the 'rules' can often lead to a big problem.

as i was regular single golfer for 40 yrs, just play some other holes if you end up having an issue with another group.  it is easy and part of the beauty of being a single.  you can jump into btwn other groups pretty easy as long as you play quick and don't take 'extended breaks' and expect to return to your same 'prioirty spot'.

edit: this thread reminds me of the saying 'don't shoot the messenger'.  several of us have provided some insight on the topic but it seems to be ignored as it doesn't fit with what the OP wants to hear. 

Edited by buick
  • Like 1