BANGKOK 25 June 2019 19:30

I'd been living with my partner in a hotel/apartment found through booking.com 

I signed a 3-month contract and let them know before the final month we'd be moving out

The next room we were moving to became available 2-weeks earlier than planned, so we were happy to move earlier and have an overlap for a little more money.

As the room served as a hotel too, we offered to move out everything and return the key so they could use it for other customers.

The owner was happy with this arrangement and even kindly offered to pay back the 2-weeks rent...

When we checked out we were told by the owner's wife that we'd broken the contract moving out early. She conveniently made up a 'check-out early fee' (not in the contract) which meant that we lost the deposit, and also wouldn't get the 2-week's rent promised.

After trying to contact the owner several times he eventually called back apologising and said he'd hidden this from his wife and that he'd transfer the money back that day. Several days later after no payment we tried contacting him and he then blocked my partner's number (my number worked fine when trying to call him but still no answer)

We then drove back to the hotel asking why we had been charged this fee when we'd paid the full contract. The staff passed on the message and the owner called back to say he transferred back the 2-weeks rent (which we did) but doesn't have enough money to pay back the deposit.

In the 10 years i've been coming here i've never been scammed in such a shameful way.

What's the best way to act on this? They have 150+ fairly positive reviews on booking.com/google 

It's more about principal than the money, the owner is rich and isn't shy in showing it with new unused vehicles surrounding the lobby and carpark.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Unfortunately many landlords have already spent  the deposit on the first day eg to gamble or buy a new TV.

The joys of renting in Thailand !!!

Business idea: Escrowservice for rent deposits in Thailand, everything judged by a third party after contract end -.-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Business idea: Escrowservice for rent deposits in Thailand, everything judged by a third party after contract end -.-

Give it twenty years and it may catch on. In the meantime for every rip off story your read on TV there are a hundred others that are to embarrassed to discuss it. So in reality you leave your 2 months deposit fully expecting it to be a donation. Renting here is a mugs game

22 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Or trustworthy agents who really weed out bad tenants and and bad landlords in order to get their services,,

I don’t get it ,,,,if I moved out a place early and broke the contract i wouldn’t really expect my deposit back..........the r3turn of the two week rent seems like a disagreement between husband and wife....again I don’t really see a scam here ......if you break a contract there is consequences to pay.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, impulse said:

there is no nanny agency looking after consumer rights as we understand them from back home.

You characterize  consumer protection as a nanny state agency?

• Like 1