Boric Acid or Borax to kill cockroaches ? which is the best ?

myjawe

Boric Acid or Borax to kill cockroaches ? which is the best ?

hello,

I read all the threads and found that I should get one of these powders:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/boric-acid-1kg-i262352790-s404029587.html

https://www.chemipan.com/a/en-gb/279-product/389-general-chemicals/1160-borax-1kg-m.html

But which is the best to use against cockroaches ?

thank you.

10 hours ago, madmen said:

Good timing just did it. tried everything including the free yearly experts supplied by condo juristic and actually buying the industrial strength pesticides but nothing worked. So i switched to Borax and researched it . Just a very light dusting around all the walls and under the sink and it took 4 weeks and finally not a single roach anywhere. They die when the walk over it and then clean themselves ingesting it back in the nest and the other roaches eat them ingesting the poison,,Be patient it does work

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i290496340-s481958560.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

but two weeks later you have another lot, cockroaches are part of Asia, I had a friend who viewed a new flat in Hong Kong, nice fitted kitchen, never been used, he opened a cupboard and out came 3 or 4 cockroaches. I just live with them, there aren't that many and you don't see them during daytime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

but two weeks later you have another lot, cockroaches are part of Asia, I had a friend who viewed a new flat in Hong Kong, nice fitted kitchen, never been used, he opened a cupboard and out came 3 or 4 cockroaches. I just live with them, there aren't that many and you don't see them during daytime.

The Borax powder remains for years so its an ongoing solution.

I made my own bait using borax eggs and sugar moulded into marble size balls ,they eat it and go back to the nest and die where they are eaten killing the others.

also found several nests in cracks that I plugged up and sealed the front door. You dont have to live with roaches if you take active measures most important is locate the nest and plug for the quickest solution, for every roach you see there are 50 more in a nest some where. They carry disease and are disgusting

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Get a cat. You will soon find the only cockroaches you see are the ones the cat brings in to play with.  Also of course the rat population will disappear pdq. The downside with the cat is the odd damaged bird they will bring in!

Unless your cat can squeeze into 1 cm crack under the sink into the nest then Im afraid kitty is a bit useless

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, myjawe said:

so borax is better than boric acid ?!

In my experience borax was better, although none of the two solved the problem completely (roachs constantly reappearing). However, Combat / Raid bait stations appeared to be capable of doing the trick (involved some waiting time - about a month)

Another thing to remember is that the insects are attracted to food so its also important to try and keep things clean, even a small crumb attracts them....the cockroaches seem to especially like the oily, grease, fat deposits that tend to build up in drains...so dont throw food down the kitchen sink and empty rubbish bins at leat every day...boric acid/borax work but can take time.

Just had pest control in my place in Toronto about two months ago for cockroaches.  He used a new product which is a gel.  Dabbed it in cupboards, and behind stove and refrigerator.  Also, he put a few dabs in the bathroom.  Have not seen another critter since about a week after his application.  Told me it is mainly water they come after, not food as such because they will even eat the plastic from electric cables, toothpaste and anything else that is available without any preference.  He advised not using the sticky traps that are available because while they do attract a few they are not really the best as they do not last very long period of time.  Would not give the name of the gel but next time I see him will ask again.

'nuf sed  

• 3 weeks later...

A product containing permethrin, used for insect proofing mosquito nets, is far superior to Borax, which needs mixing with sugar etc and is difficult to get hold of. Sold in a plastic bag in makro and BigC, THB 140.-ants.thumb.JPG.aa87c81f05e6bd59aab0718b3c18d945.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 6:37 AM, cooked said:

A product containing permethrin, used for insect proofing mosquito nets, is far superior to Borax, which needs mixing with sugar etc and is difficult to get hold of. Sold in a plastic bag in makro and BigC, THB 140.-ants.thumb.JPG.aa87c81f05e6bd59aab0718b3c18d945.JPG

better than borax are you sure ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, myjawe said:

better than borax are you sure ?

It works very well and there's no fussing about with sugar and stuff. Kills scorpions. You can buy Borax in Thailand but since a poisoning case a few years ago I believe you have to buy in bulk quantities. No longer available in Buriram, we LOOKED.

So it's better.

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...