Pros and Cons of cambodia over thailand?

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

What are Khmer bargirls like? My main concern is trustworthiness, i.e. I don't want to wake up late in the afternoon feeling like I've been hit in the head with a 6 pound club hammer just to find that all my belongings are missing.

Room with a safe is the easy answer.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do NOT come in on a tourist visa if you plan to go for either Business or Retirement extension. You can't do it and will have to leave the country and come back (or you can but very, very difficult and expensive). Come in on an "ordinary" visa.

If 50 or over, unless you plan to work, go for retirement visa. Currently no financial requirements.

If under 50 then business visa but note that for future extensions they will want to see a work permit.

There is apparently now also a category for people married to a Cambodian citizen.

Thailand is 50, Cambodia is 55.  SOMETIMES issued to those under if you can really prove  ur retired, (documents vary)

People married to a khmer are now being issued  EB extensions with proper paperwork, (marriage license)

On 7/13/2019 at 10:49 AM, phuketrichard said:

I am moving back to Cambodia, ( Kep) next year, My khmer gf has been here for the last 8 years and although loves her job and the food, wants to be closer to family and with all the regulations, leaving money in bank, ( an next year  am sure required health care) changes and costs, Well time for  a bit of a new adventure

Easy visa, cars double the price and less selection, but motorcycles about the same,

Accommodations more an terrible value compared to Thailand,

Local food is ok and cheap but as we own a restaurant with her sister in Kep eating well will not be a  problem.

Cambodia is not for everyone, just about everything, except drinking and smoking cigarettes, cost more, its rough an dirty an the roads, hospitals and such suck  but,

it does have its own charm.

AND 7/11 announced they will start building  stores over there!!!!

Now if only Big C will begin construction!!

I see Circle K is in Cambodia now and expanding at a huge rate. 7-11 is starting to build stores in Vietnam and now Cambodia. But I can't imagine the Cambo 7s to be anything like the Thai ones until they build up the supply chain, Or, import everything they sell from Thailand. Which sounds more likely. Still, 7s would be a big improvement on anything I've seen from the Cambodian convenience store chains. 

PS I'm moving from Vietnam back to Thailand next month. Don't know if I can/want to deal with the miserable immigration system BS. Will see. If not, see you in Cambodia. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 1:51 PM, steve2112 said:

i just got back from 3 days in PP so i'm far from an expert but i must say i was very impressed. there are some pretty high end areas in the city, its not all slums, i loved the stretch limo tuk-tuks (although the drivers constantly asking you can be a mild annoyance), the food way great, the beer ridiculously cheap and the girls! 136 and 104 streets are awesome, every bar loaded with hot 20-30 year olds (i guess pol pot did a good job of killing everyone who would now be 40-50), great live music. i'm not a city guy, but i will definitely go back, and probably try Sihanoukvill next time.

great review! where you living currently? you like it there wherever you're in terms of night life etc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 10:49 AM, phuketrichard said:

I am moving back to Cambodia, ( Kep) next year, My khmer gf has been here for the last 8 years and although loves her job and the food, wants to be closer to family and with all the regulations, leaving money in bank, ( an next year  am sure required health care) changes and costs, Well time for  a bit of a new adventure

Easy visa, cars double the price and less selection, but motorcycles about the same,

Accommodations more an terrible value compared to Thailand,

Local food is ok and cheap but as we own a restaurant with her sister in Kep eating well will not be a  problem.

Cambodia is not for everyone, just about everything, except drinking and smoking cigarettes, cost more, its rough an dirty an the roads, hospitals and such suck  but,

it does have its own charm.

AND 7/11 announced they will start building  stores over there!!!!

Now if only Big C will begin construction!!

I believe they're building a very Big C in Poipet... ironically the Big C in Rong Kluea is heavily staffed with trilingual Khmers.

I like the idea of living on the border within a short distance of a border post, for all kinds of reasons.

• 1 month later...

Since I moved back to Thailand from VN 3 months ago, the shifting sands at Thai Immigration have been wearing me down. The health insurance demand is the latest and maybe the proverbial straw. I've got till next summer (though I'm still not sure) to decide whether renew my retirement extension or cast my future with Cambodia. 

So this morning I booked a flight to PP at the end of this month and then decided to reread this entire thread. It's given me a lift. 

Also, after three months in the bag, earlier this week I did some calculations. I know I am spending thousands of baht per month more (compared with Cambodia or Vietnam) on the necessities of life, namely cigs, liquor and beer. It doesn't strike home until you are forking out $5 for a pack of cigs and $4 for a small bottle of Tiger or $6 for a whiskey.

It's been 6 months since tomster's informative post. @tomster Still satisfied? 

And yes, I'm waking up this older thread because there may even be more interest in the Cambodia experience now that Thailand has put more pressure on expat residents. 

Usually takes me about 15 minutes to get thru. That is my idea of best.

VINCI AIRPORTS 15.11.2019

Phnom Penh, Best Asia Pacific regional Airport!

The Phnom Penh International Airport, one of the first members of VINCI Airports’ network, has been awarded by the CAPA Centre of Aviation, best Asia Pacific regional airports for smaller airports category (fewer than 10 million annual passengers). The independent panel of judges has recognized it as “the regional airport that has established itself as a leader and done the most to advance the progress of the aviation industry.”

On 11/13/2019 at 4:34 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Also, after three months in the bag, earlier this week I did some calculations. I know I am spending thousands of baht per month more (compared with Cambodia or Vietnam) on the necessities of life, namely cigs, liquor and beer. It doesn't strike home until you are forking out $5 for a pack of cigs and $4 for a small bottle of Tiger or $6 for a whiskey.

Plenty of places selling 75c beers around bar street in Phnom Penh.

For some reason it's cheaper in Siem Reap @ 50c a glass.

really brit man, enough about the $.50 & .75 beers.

nobody moves to a country cause they can drink <deleted> water, ( i imagine what <deleted> water tastes like from drinking angkor draft)  for under a $1.

BUT saying that, you can buy $1.50 bottles of beer lao.

You visited there, what one time? now your an expert?

Archived