Pros and Cons of cambodia over thailand?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VBF said:

And young guys have more choice - some old guys are so desperate to get a "partner" that they'll do or pay anything.

I was like that when I was young too (desperate to get a partner).

I never got anything (I really wanted) in the UK, here I've had too many nice ones to count.

I've had better looking women in their 20s when I was over 60, than I've ever had before.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:59 AM, madmen said:

Arm pit of SEA full of farang junkies , lawless no police anywhere and in your face relentless beggars..AVOID!!

Yes.

Seeing people shooting dope in their arm was not a pleasant site.

The pharmacies there are very liberal and inexpensive.  Other then that it is a total stinky dump.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

Seeing people shooting dope in their arm was not a pleasant site.

The pharmacies there are very liberal and inexpensive.  Other then that it is a total stinky dump.

come on ...   Pattaya's not that bad  ....

On 5/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 5/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, phycokiller said:
I got the feeling its more the mothers that do the pimping in Thailand, but its difficult to know, its not something they will talk openly about obviously. whatever in Cambodia I havent met a girl who would have a long term relationship unless I support the father and brothers. but Im just one person and theres ten million people here so who knows? Its certainly more hand out in Cambodia. people want money for nothing. which is why so many have nothing.

I don't know about Cambodia but Thailand certainly some girls are under pressure from boyfriends and even family in Isaan, sad but true. Why do you think they marry someone 30 years older

So what is the problem?

Gee, some guy in the US was elected President who has a wife 30 years younger then him.

That is my minimum age difference.  20 years younger and they are too old for my liking.

So what is the problem?
Gee, some guy in the US was elected President who has a wife 30 years younger then him.
That is my minimum age difference.  20 years younger and they are too old for my liking.

I don't have a problem with the age difference, its the mums and grannies pimping them off I don't like

On 5/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, BritManToo said:

Phnom Penh

Begging, about the same as the bars in Chiang Mai, usual tat and flower sellers.

English speaking, probably better than Thailand.

Food quality, I had a nice Indian curry most nights $4-$5, but western food was widely available for $1 and up.

Corruption, didn't encounter any from officials, the cross border bus drive scammed me for $2.

Perceived safety, m/c passenger tried to snatch my phone, don't stand at the roadside using your phone.

visa hassles, none, if you're over 55, drop off $300 at your nearest agent, collect your 1 year multi entry VISA later in the week.

chances of stepping on a mine, very nice river walk/jogging track in the center of PP, didn't step on any mines.

Jogging track/river walk viewed from my hotel room, about 5Km long, smooth surface, no obstructions, no beggars.

jogging.jpg

Thanks for the thoughtful update and photo. That looks very nice along the mekhong. It hss been a decade since i went to PP, due for a visit. I love river cities and sitting relaxing out there after a walk or cycle....anyone there have comments on cycling?

Cheers

On 5/22/2019 at 2:59 PM, Kerryd said:

Quite frankly - if Cambodia was so great there wouldn't be hardly any expats left in Thailand.
If Cambodia was so great, Thais would be flooding into there to find jobs instead of the other way around.

If Cambodia was so great, you'd all be reading "KhmerVisa.com" instead of "ThaiVisa.com". (Note - there actually is a "KhmerVisa.com" web address - but it just leads to a page saying that a website is coming soon.)

Rural Cambodia is quite similar to rural Isaan (no surprise as they were all "one" people not that long ago). One big difference I noticed is that when someone is having a wedding in Cambodia - they crank up some gawdawful music as high as they can and blast it all day long !  Other than that, the houses look the same (complete with garbage scattered everywhere), roads about the same, people seem to be about the same. 

Politically, they are a step below Thailand (sometimes way below that) and it seems political violence is almost mandatory when election time comes around.

Infrastructure-wise (Roads, rail, power, internet, etc) is also a step down.

Corruption, if anything, is higher though.

As is the price of a lot of everyday things. People we talked to said that the only thing cheaper in Cambodia than Thailand was rice. Everything else was more expensive because almost all of it had to be imported.

If you are young(ish) and healthy (more or less), it's probably not too bad. If you are older and wanting to stay around for a few more years, you probably want to stay in Thailand.
If you are broke and don't care about anything anymore - you can probably do that cheaper in Cambodia, especially as you wouldn't have to worry about things like healthcare and having to prove a certain level of finances.

I've thought about spending more time there, mainly due to the vast number of ancient Khmer temples scattered around the country. However, I think I'm better off in the long run with just making the occasional visit.
(Purely by coincidence, I was rooting through the closet this morning looking for a pair of pants and found the souvenir shirt I bought at Angkor Wat a couple years ago and have never worn.)

The biggest thing with deciding to live anywhere is what your tolerance level is. Many of you don't live in your home countries for a variety of reasons (which made living there "intolerable") and have moved here, despite having to give up certain things you may have taken for granted "back home".

You have to decide for yourself if the positives outweigh the negatives and if you can live with the "downside" of wherever you want to be. Be it poorer healthcare, corrupt police/politicians, 2 tiered pricing, excessive financial requirements, etc.

If you aren't happy with where you are, then you have to decide if going somewhere is would be worth it in the long run. Remember - a 1-2 week holiday somewhere is not even close to being the same as actually living there (a mistake a lot of people make after one trip to Thailand). However, if you make the trip with the intention of finding out what it would be like to live there, then it would be worthwhile. 

But you'd actually have to check things out. Like the cost of renting/buying (and/or the laws concerning land ownership, condos, etc). How much is electricity, water, gasoline, groceries, car/scooter insurance, internet (etc, etc).

You know, the kinds of things that you don't bother with when you are just spending a week or 2 in a hotel room, eating at restaurants and spending all night in the bars.

And what happens when those people decide to move here ? Inevitably they whine about almost everything because almost nothing is "like it is back home". Which they would have known if they'd actually did a little research first before making the decision to move.

I'm kind of surprised that ThaiVisa doesn't have a "Cambodian" forum, though surely there must be something similar out there already ?
From the way so many people claim (again) that everyone will be deserting Thailand and moving somewhere else, they may want to set up a forum to try and keep their membership numbers up ! (Though of course most people will not actually move elsewhere just like all those Americans who claimed they would move out of the country if Trump won the election, and then crawled under their rocks and hide afterwards.)

Cambodia expats onlne in a search engine could be a good start for finding more info

20 minutes ago, kuma said:

anyone there have comments on cycling?

PP town was a bit busy for cycling, although they were allowed on the river walk.

Cycling was much better in Siem Reap, city bikes available every where, plenty of jungle tracks and quiet roads. Here's one I rented in January to cycle around the outside of the ruins, for $2/day, good enough.

Cycling Siem.jpg

Took it down some jungle tracks as well (when they didn't let me in on the roads without paying, Shhhhh).

track.jpg

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

PP town was a bit busy for cycling, although they were allowed on the river walk.

Cycling was much better in Siem Reap, city bikes available every where, plenty of jungle tracks and quiet roads. Here's one I rented in January to cycle around the outside of the ruins, for $2/day, good enough.

Cycling Siem.jpg

Took it down some jungle tracks as well (when they didn't let me in on the roads without paying, Shhhhh).

track.jpg

Excellent report. Thanks...looks like i will go have a look again,  bring my bike

On 5/25/2019 at 5:04 PM, phycokiller said:

I believe this is true. Cant remember where I read it but one thing is the tonal sap river that PP takes its water from is actually pretty clean. Maybe they just cant afford the pesticides or havent learnt about them

I suspect they use, or will shortly be using pesticides, that is de facto standard for large commecial agriculture globally no? As far as AQI go to spots like air visual and have a look. You need to look over years to get a feel of the seasonality and variances, but gives great real time data. Winter (Dec, Jan just passed) looked tough for pp, but same as bkk and other locales.

I stay in south eastern Thailand and love it, so i think that lines up welll w Cambo urban.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:13 PM, BritManToo said:

Because they're lazy, and young guys don't have the money to support lazy.

As far as I am concerned the women in the bars, and the young people of Isaarn, male and female, are bone idle.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:49 AM, AlexRich said:

People pissing in the street

I have seen many Tuk Tuk and Songthaew drivers in Thailand pissing on the street beside the trees so this is not unique.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:45 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 5/28/2019 at 6:26 AM, DingDongLing said:
really?  That is horrible

same in Thailand

Maybe try living in Pattaya and visiting hookers homes.  All the ones I met stayed alone or with other women.  They'd go to clubs to pick up a young man when they wanted but went home alone. 

i just got back from 3 days in PP so i'm far from an expert but i must say i was very impressed. there are some pretty high end areas in the city, its not all slums, i loved the stretch limo tuk-tuks (although the drivers constantly asking you can be a mild annoyance), the food way great, the beer ridiculously cheap and the girls! 136 and 104 streets are awesome, every bar loaded with hot 20-30 year olds (i guess pol pot did a good job of killing everyone who would now be 40-50), great live music. i'm not a city guy, but i will definitely go back, and probably try Sihanoukvill next time.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, Scouse123 said:

As far as I am concerned the women in the bars, and the young people of Isaarn, male and female, are bone idle.

I have seen some oscar winning performances lasting hours just to attempt to scam a few dollars, if they could redirect their talents they would be fine, but they cant

i just got back from 3 days in PP so i'm far from an expert but i must say i was very impressed. there are some pretty high end areas in the city, its not all slums, i loved the stretch limo tuk-tuks (although the drivers constantly asking you can be a mild annoyance), the food way great, the beer ridiculously cheap and the girls! 136 and 104 streets are awesome, every bar loaded with hot 20-30 year olds (i guess pol pot did a good job of killing everyone who would now be 40-50), great live music. i'm not a city guy, but i will definitely go back, and probably try Sihanoukvill next time.
You'll want to give Sihanoukville a miss. Completely taken over by the Chinese now. No more expat bars guest houses etc. Beaches polluted. Expats moved out en masse some time ago. Some of them to Kampot.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Visas;

Cambo and VN want us - and seem to appreciate the pollution-free $.

Thailand's policies scream, "You get out but leave your $. You can stay but 1st show you've got something to loot and leave it.

Forums (fora?);

Khmer400... I unsubbed. I still go to expat.com and here.

This thread reminds me of the Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum back in the day ????

Housing and cost of living;

Search NUMBEO -and add info to it please!

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Cambodia

Safety:

NUMBEO has that comparison too.

I don't drink or drug and am happily married but we do like to take a walk later at night after Italian food or AA.

Beach;

Thailand. Maybe VN.

Anywhere overrun by Chinese is a deal-breaker. (Last time we went to Koh Samet I just didn't go to the beach.) SV is ruined.

Touts;

Coming back from the gym I wanna poke touts in the throat (bad idea) in Samui and KSR. When they touch my arm to stop me I almost lose my sh1t on 'em.

For some reason the tuk-tuk guys in Siem Reap don't bug me. Different energy, less abusive vibe. I don't feel dehumanized in SR.

Beggars;

I learned decades ago not to give. It encourages child deformation etc.

Again, neither of us drink, drug, gamble or smoke. Thailand is not a higher expense in that regard. So VN and Cambo aren't a draw.

I do like good AA meetings and love Chiang Mai for that. Also for cheap gyms and housing prices. Not much gai yaang in CM though.

We don't need western standard accommodation but do need AC, TV, internet. 

Phuket is out. Da Nang is next up. Siem Riep is a bit small and touristy.

Thailand is now probably out due to visa and finance requirements. We have the $ but we don't like the message it sends. We have family there and can visit them and the beaches that Chinese tour buses can't get to. CM is still a possibility if we want to travel a lot which is a visa run 2-fer.

8 hours ago, ding said:

Steve2112 you need to just go away. Not funny at all. 

you might be taking that a bit seriously. Im not sure if his exact example is correct but genocides do have an effect that lasts a few generations at least. he may not have meant it as humor

On 5/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, DingDongLing said:

LOL at bull charging, wish I saw it. details on story

Who is anti-american now?  Reasons your cousin moved.  He likes it better in panama?

Is there good real massage shops everywhere like in thai?  Or where would u recommend for that. 

There is no market for massages for back pain in the village?  Over saturation in tourist spots.  

Pesticide watchdog Thai-PAN has today (Wednesday) published its most recent survey, which reveals that 41% of all vegetables in Thailand’s fresh markets are contaminated with chemical pesticides to a level that exceeds internationally acceptable standards. 12 types of banned chemicals were also discovered.

Ms. Prokchol Ousap, coordinator of Thailand Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN), reported that the organization recently collected 286 samples of vegetables in collaboration with agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provincial health officials, Tambon health workers, members of national farmer council, consumers’ association and civil society.

She said that the sample sources ranged from fresh markets and shop houses to produce shelves in department stores in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Yasothorn, Srakaew, Chanthaburi, Ratchaburi and Songkhla. The samples included 15 types of vegetables and nine types of fruit commonly consumed by the public. They were sent for analysis by ISO-17025 certified laboratories in the United Kingdom.

“The result is shocking as they found that 41% of the samples were contaminated with chemical pesticides,” said Ms. Prokchol.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/41-percent-of-vegetables-in-thai-markets-exceed-contamination-standards/

8 hours ago, my friend I said:

Pesticide watchdog Thai-PAN has today (Wednesday) published its most recent survey, which reveals that 41% of all vegetables in Thailand’s fresh markets are contaminated with chemical pesticides to a level that exceeds internationally acceptable standards. 12 types of banned chemicals were also discovered.

Ms. Prokchol Ousap, coordinator of Thailand Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN), reported that the organization recently collected 286 samples of vegetables in collaboration with agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provincial health officials, Tambon health workers, members of national farmer council, consumers’ association and civil society.

She said that the sample sources ranged from fresh markets and shop houses to produce shelves in department stores in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Yasothorn, Srakaew, Chanthaburi, Ratchaburi and Songkhla. The samples included 15 types of vegetables and nine types of fruit commonly consumed by the public. They were sent for analysis by ISO-17025 certified laboratories in the United Kingdom.

“The result is shocking as they found that 41% of the samples were contaminated with chemical pesticides,” said Ms. Prokchol.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/41-percent-of-vegetables-in-thai-markets-exceed-contamination-standards/

its not shocking because its been that way a long time. whats shocking is that the government, if you can call it that, dont care about anything but their off shore bank accounts

On 5/22/2019 at 1:59 AM, madmen said:

Arm pit of SEA full of farang junkies , lawless no police anywhere and in your face relentless beggars..AVOID!!

Which one of the two countries are you talking about?

On 6/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, BritManToo said:

Cycling Siem.jpg

track.jpg

The pics look excellent! That's what I wanna do too on my next Indiana Jones trip to SR. On my own bike and not roped to a tour guide. Some further inquiries:

1) "when they didn't let me in on the roads without paying, Shhhhh". Do you mean there toll charges/ or bribe/ or fine to ride on certain roads?
2) when you stop and go into a temple, who's going to watch over your bike. I know that in VN there are plenty parking lots for bikes/motocycles but I haven't seen in pics any such place around the temples in SR.
3) is the path in the bottom pic what you would call a "jungle track"? looks pretty good... or by jungle tracks you mean places where there's still uncleared mines...? is that still a concern? Thanks in advance for further details.

Archived