Private hospital in trouble for charging Bt30,000 for diarrhoea

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was this a bill to a thai or a farang ?

if farang, meh... he should have gotten 40k outpatient insurance

just kidding

who here thinks the overpricing will only increase with the forced insurance SCAM upon us

don't be stupid and blind to think this over 50 will only be to O-A ... and 33 million O-A visa's?  someone confused visa on arrival with retirement ?

ok, next time you have diarrhea,  let it all come out...body is not stupid ...   take charcoal and lots of water and in most cases, you save yourself the horror of hospital, best place to get new diseases

people here hardly wash hands when going to toilet (restaurant uniform) so why you think it would be any different from nurses and arrogant doctors ? 

33 million ???? Out of a total population of about 65 mil ?? I doubt that number is correct.

On the odd occasion I have needed help I have used the village doc  dont think I have ever paid more than 200 baht.

The private hospital I have used on occasions also very convenient and definitely no rip off charges.

Point being  good and bad everywhere, thats just life and the luck of thd draw, until experience shows you otherwise.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am sure it must read WILL face legal punishment ?

As will, of course, anyone who has the temerity to name and shame the particular hospital in question under Thailand's defamation laws. And, unlike the hospital bigwigs, they might well find themselves banged up in solitary confinment for life in the Bangkok Hilton!!

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

Why would you go to the hospital for a simple case of the runs? A pharmacy should be your first call. Of course, if the treatment from the pharmacy doesn't work then it's not really a simple case of diarrhoea, is it?  

Thai ppl go to the Hospital for the smallest things.. They woyldn't have a clue about going to a pharmacy first..

was this a bill to a thai or a farang ?

if farang, meh... he should have gotten 40k outpatient insurance

just kidding

who here thinks the overpricing will only increase with the forced insurance SCAM upon us

don't be stupid and blind to think this over 50 will only be to O-A ... and 33 million O-A visa's?  someone confused visa on arrival with retirement ?

That error was cleared up, turns out the 38 million was actually number of visitors in 2018, number of OA visa holders in 2018 was 80,950 .

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Has nobody heard of Imodium (Loperamide)?

40bht for a generic pack of ten.

Corn flour mixed with a little water works fine, assuming you have the flour and don't mind the aftertaste :bah:

1 hour ago, alfalfa19 said:

It seems they are adopting the American business model,  where I was charged 17,000 dollars for one night in the hospital, no operations or medications, and treated like a derelict the entire time.   

US dollars? that really does sound like a load of sh1t. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Has nobody heard of Imodium (Loperamide)?

40bht for a generic pack of ten.

I agree seems to be a lots of people who can't basically care for themselves.

I've self treated myself on various occasions including dengue fever

10 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Can you go back for seconds at no extra charge?

No, that was the canteen in Bengaluru (Bangalore) where the hotel bathroom was designed so you could sit on the loo and throw-up in the sink at the same time.

Trust me, I know! :sick: ????

Thai greed sure does kill the golden goose. Thirty years ago the country's medical service was on a roll and the era of medical tourism began. But it's being brought undone by the unbridled lust for money, and complete lack of ethics. Quite a lot has been said in these forums about India as an alternative. 

2 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Why would you go to the hospital for a simple case of the runs? A pharmacy should be your first call. Of course, if the treatment from the pharmacy doesn't work then it's not really a simple case of diarrhoea, is it?   

" Of course, if the treatment from the pharmacy doesn't work then it's not really a simple case of diarrhoea, is it"? 

Probably not, but my next port of call would be my local clinic. They have been very good in the past, giving good advice and service. And they don't charge an arm and a leg, for their service. 

These people don't care.  They knowingly mark up prices.  It's all about profit.  If they get pinched a few times and if the person making the complaint makes too much noise, reduce the bill make them happy and move to the next victim. 

Thailand is not the place for quality, affordable healthcare.  

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No, that was the canteen in Bengaluru (Bangalore) where the hotel bathroom was designed so you could sit on the loo and throw-up in the sink at the same time.

Trust me, I know! :sick: ????

Been there, done that on a Nile cruise boat.  Similar bathroom design.

There is an article in this week's Economist ... on this very topic. The following link might be behind a paywall but it is worth reading if this is important to you.

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/05/21/the-global-battle-over-high-drug-prices

One major take away from that article is that if you are scared to death of cancer, they will milk you all the more. Moreover, many millions of people all over the world fall into poverty because of the medicines they need to buy.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That error was cleared up, turns out the 38 million was actually number of visitors in 2018, number of OA visa holders in 2018 was 80,950 .

Wow, so that could be quite a nice little earner for insurance companies.  80950*approx 36000 equals 2,914,200,000 baht. And what was the amount unpaid due to hospitals?  Correct me if I'm wrong but I am think 3,000,000. Nice! Just the VAT on the insurance policies is 203,994,000 baht.

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

It seems they are adopting the American business model,  where I was charged 17,000 dollars for one night in the hospital, no operations or medications, and treated like a derelict the entire time.   

You were lucky nothing was wrong. A 9 year old girl was recently hospitalized overnight in the US for a snake bite and was billed US$142,938. We are rapidly approaching the singularity.

Archived