Seniors urged to build muscle strength to avoid falling

webfact

Seniors urged to build muscle strength to avoid falling

By THE NATION

a1ae15c11dade564d7ca182957102848.jpeg

AN ANNUAL average of more than 140,000 seniors sought emergency treatment for injuries from falls over the past three years, a senior official said yesterday.

Dr Atchariya Pangma, secretary-general of the National Institute for Emergency Medicine (NIEM), urged seniors to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly to achieve better muscle strength and balance. He also said that families should ensure a safe environment at home. 

Thailand is edging closer to becoming a full-fledged ageing society in 2021, when the number of seniors will rise to 13.1 million or 20 per cent of the population. 

From 2016 to 2018, an average of 141,895 elderly persons per year sustained injuries from falls and sought emergency medical treatment, he said. 

This year, 24,364 seniors have sought emergency treatment for fall-related injuries, with Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchathani and Roi Et provinces having the highest number of patients.

Of the roughly 140 cases requiring emergency treatment per day, at least two people die each day from complications, such as the shattering of the hip or head trauma, Atchariya added.

The highest number of people seeking emergency treatment were in the 60 to 64 age group, followed by 65-69 and 70-74. 

Most of the victims who sustained injuries from falls in the 60s age group were male, while most of the patients in their 70s were women. 

Deteriorating physical conditions, such as poor eyesight, lack of body balance and weak muscles contribute to the risk of falling, as do environmental factors such as slippery or uneven floors and insufficient lighting, Atchariya said. 

Hence, he said, senior should have a healthy diet and take regular exercise for better muscle strength and balance in order to prevent falling. 

He also said that the home environment also has to be improved, adding that ideally seniors should live in a one-storey home or on the ground floor if the home has two floors. 

The home should also have handrails, be sufficiently lit, a level floor with a non-slippery surface. He also said that toilets in the house should have a sliding door, a western toilet, a 40cm-high seat for the elderly person to sit on when showering, while the bed should be knee-high and located near a toilet. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369755

thenation_logo.jpg

stop drinking SODA & COW's milk, but every acidic and eating at your bones...

we laughed when I was young about those facts ... but the acidity has to be neutralised by the calcium of your bones & teeth...

do people fall and BREAK a hip ... real experts say, they hip breaks (loss of calcium) and then the person falls

but you TV people believe what you want... want to take a chemical pill that breaks down less your bones, make it seem thicker on a scan, but it useless as bones are ment to break down and rebuild, but your pill stops this natural recyclement

"...senior (sic) should have a healthy diet and take regular exercise for better muscle strength and balance in order to prevent falling."

Cutting out that daily bottle of Lao Khao wouldn't hurt either.

Calcium and protein from natural substances instead of pills is a good idea

Simple core strength exercises daily

Resistance training using bands or light weights regularly

and remember

REAL MEN MOVE

????

29 minutes ago, justin case said:

stop drinking SODA & COW's milk, but every acidic and eating at your bones...

we laughed when I was young about those facts ... but the acidity has to be neutralised by the calcium of your bones & teeth...

do people fall and BREAK a hip ... real experts say, they hip breaks (loss of calcium) and then the person falls

but you TV people believe what you want... want to take a chemical pill that breaks down less your bones, make it seem thicker on a scan, but it useless as bones are ment to break down and rebuild, but your pill stops this natural recyclement

What advice do the Thai authorities give about mental illness?

Vitamin D3:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6176387/

Conclusions from the above:

"They concluded that four months of supplementation with 100 000 IU oral vitamin D can prevent fractures in the British population.23 In the present study, the two groups showed a significant difference in terms of union fracture 4 and 8 weeks after treatment. In the group with low levels of vitamin D"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8966494/

Conclusions:

"We have shown in a 3-year controlled prospective study that the daily use of these supplements (1.2 g of calcium and 800 IU of vitamin D3) given in a large population of 3270 elderly ambulatory women living in nursing homes reduced of 23% (intention-to-treat analysis) the number of hip fractures and other non vertebral fractures. "

I look at my mum and look at my missus' mum and they're polar opposites. They're similar ages but their health is very different. The older my mum gets the more she pushes to keeping healthy and maintaining independence. The older my missus' mum gets the less she tries and relies on others to do things for her. 

I see this quite often here. The younger ones doing things for the older ones even though the older ones are more than capable of doing it themselves. Whether it's for the kids or the elderly, the whole idea that you love someone so much you do everything for them is actually just a huge detriment to their development and/or well being. 

52 minutes ago, faraday said:

Vitamin D3:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6176387/

Conclusions from the above:

"They concluded that four months of supplementation with 100 000 IU oral vitamin D can prevent fractures in the British population.23 In the present study, the two groups showed a significant difference in terms of union fracture 4 and 8 weeks after treatment. In the group with low levels of vitamin D"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8966494/

Conclusions:

"We have shown in a 3-year controlled prospective study that the daily use of these supplements (1.2 g of calcium and 800 IU of vitamin D3) given in a large population of 3270 elderly ambulatory women living in nursing homes reduced of 23% (intention-to-treat analysis) the number of hip fractures and other non vertebral fractures. "

I doubt many in Thailand need supplementing for D as it comes from the sun. Though 100.000 IU is quite a bit. 

Once more a Thai seizes a public platform for stating the bleedin' obvious.  In a perfect world everyone would consume a perfect diet & everyone would exercise to keep strong.  Thailand is far from perfect; if they can't manage drinking alcohol responsibly; can't drive at a sensible speed and can't get taximeters to work, what hope is there to educate them about diet?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The highest number of people seeking emergency treatment were in the 60 to 64 age group

Funny, but the closer I get to 60, the less I consider it elderly. 

I seen the difference between elderly who exercise and who don't. Its amazing how much quality of life some exercise can bring. But one has to start it before it is too late.

My dad bikes a lot is still strong, mom did not do much of exercise ever and has loads of problems. Also a lot less energy. 

Exercise is important but many people just don't like doing it, my advice just find something that you like even if it is just walking. Whatever you can sustain is far better then going for what is best and then giving up.  

Best things are of course lifting weights (within limits) but most people really don't like that. Then go swimming, biking, running, walking, golf, badminton, tennis, whatever.

48 minutes ago, robblok said:

I doubt many in Thailand need supplementing for D as it comes from the sun. Though 100.000 IU is quite a bit. 

Yes, I agree Rob. But in the local blood clinic, it has some blurb about D deficiency here. 100,000 iu is, as you say quite a bit.

Just now, faraday said:

Yes, I agree Rob. But in the local blood clinic, it has some blurb about D deficiency here. 100,000 iu is, as you say quite a bit.

Wonder what the stats are on the over 65's & hip fractures here?

I once supplemented with D for some other reasons but I believe taking 10.000 was already quite a bit. 100.000 is a lot more. I stopped as i did not feel it helped me. There are so many supplements that are good at a certain point you need to limit yourself.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Be very careful in supplementing with Vitamin D in any form.  Too much will raise your serum calcium and those who do crun the risk of suffering from hypercalcemia, including increased calcium deposits in the coronary arteries.  It’s best to have a physician to ascertain your need and if appropriate, the form of Vitamin D to be taken, its dosage and frequency. 

they get no sun. Covered head to toe. Never on the beach. Got to kdep the skin as light as possible.

19 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

they get no sun. Covered head to toe. Never on the beach. Got to kdep the skin as light as possible.

Depends a bit on the person but if you get dizzy from exercise i would go to a DR and have a health checkup.

You haven't noticed how so many Thai women avoid sun exposure at all costs? Tan skin is only for Loso, poor people!

10 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

You haven't noticed how so many Thai women avoid sun exposure at all costs? Tan skin is only for Loso, poor people!

I noticed it I also noticed that there are many more poor then rich people. 

No kidding...I once had a senior Army general tell me, after he’d been looking for me and found out that I was out exercising:

”Take my advice, young man.  Whenever I have the uncontrollable urge to exercise, I lay down until it goes away.”

Archived