Private US museum faces legal action for Thai artifact smuggling

webfact

Private US museum faces legal action for Thai artifact smuggling   

Veera-Rojpojanarat-.jpg

The US Homeland Security Investigation Office has appointed an attorney to take legal action against a private museum in San Francisco for alleged involvement in the smuggling of several artifacts to the US from Thailand.

Culture Minister Veera Rojpojanarat said today that Thailand managed to secure the return of one item, a lintel from the Nong Hong ruins in the northeastern province of Buri Ram, which was displayed at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco.

The return of the lintel came after the Thai government, through the Foreign Ministry, sought cooperation from the US Homeland Security Investigation Office to secure the return of 23 artifacts, nine of which were exhibited at the Norton Simon Museum.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/private-us-museum-faces-legal-action-for-thai-artifact-smuggling/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-22

American museums have previous convictions for this sort of thing. In the 1970's a stolen lintel from Panom Rung Temple Buriram which went missing during the Vet. War was found in a Chicago museum. They refused to return it, but after a lot of wrangling and pressure they did so, only after a considerable 'ransom' had been paid.

I cannot post the link I found as it is from the Bangkok Post, but just Google 'Phanom Rung stolen artifact' and it should come up.

18 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

American museums have previous convictions for this sort of thing. In the 1970's a stolen lintel from Panom Rung Temple Buriram which went missing during the Vet. War was found in a Chicago museum. They refused to return it, but after a lot of wrangling and pressure they did so, only after a considerable 'ransom' had been paid.

I cannot post the link I found as it is from the Bangkok Post, but just Google 'Phanom Rung stolen artifact' and it should come up.

Yes a bit like the Thais' theft of Cambodian temples along the border. 

37 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Yes a bit like the Thais' theft of Cambodian temples along the border. 

What theft and what temples? Are you referring the Pra Wihem (sp) dispute? That was judged to be Cambodian by the Int. Court of Justice after the border dispute went to them for determination ?.  The Thais never did steal it.

I recall when the HISO ladies flaunted the stolen jewelry and refused to return it to the Saudis and most of that returned was Thai fakes. The Saudis did retaliate by stopping all Thai new hires but allowed those working to continue to the end of their contract. Hurt the Thai laborers but that has never been the concern of the Thai government, particularly the snotfaced HISOs and their limp wrist husbands who could not get them to return the jewelry despite embarrassing the Thai Country.

Archived