Britain's May tries to break Brexit deadlock with offer of 'new deal'

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Seems like not much has changed since the polls of June 2016

referendum.jpg.e8351accc728257f2f01261b6be44ab5.jpg

A reason confirmed to throw out the English  from the EU.  The Irish and Scots have other ideas, but... imprisoned by the English.

Ire + Scots refuse English.jpg

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Too late now to compromise and offer a People's Vote. It's now No Deal or Revoke & Re-think. There's no majority for the former, so easy to see what will happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It depends on the result of the MEP elections today IMO.

If it shows a huge amount of support for brexit candidates/parties - MPs are unlikely to support revoking article 50 as they know it would be suicidal come the next GE.

Do the English MP's know that also ? Or.. the hack to this country, as long as I get re-elected in my little constituancy seen the Middle Ages voting system in which every Baron wanted to be heard at the Crown. Maybe a split: the green part goes to the Irish Republic and the rest stays in the UK. Far the mayority happy.
Same for the yellow part = Scotland (and a kind of a greater London as new state ?)...
997849923_GreennewpartsoftheIrishrep2020.jpg.316d67e294fb4f4db047f042fa5315e4.jpg
Brexit.jpg.f672d808d506ec9bd7aca96067717fcb.jpg
The UK " map " is WRONG.
Over 1,000,000 voters voted FOR Brexit.!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It depends on the result of the MEP elections today IMO.

If it shows a huge amount of support for brexit candidates/parties - MPs are unlikely to support revoking article 50 as they know it would be suicidal come the next GE.
You may be right. But MPs will definitely not vote for "No deal". Revoke may be the only other choice unless the new PM (Gove or Boris...or Hunt?) can get the EU to agree to another extension.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You may be right. But MPs will definitely not vote for "No deal". Revoke may be the only other choice unless the new PM (Gove or Boris...or Hunt?) can get the EU to agree to another extension.

"You may be right. But MPs will definitely not vote for "No deal"."

Which is precisely why we are left 'in limbo'.....

"Revoke may be the only other choice"

Which brings me back to my original argument as to why politicians are extremely worried about revoking article 50!  They know there is a good chance for many of them that it may result in them losing their seats.

"unless the new PM (Gove or Boris...or Hunt?) can get the EU to agree to another extension."

'In limbo' for even longer, hoping that they can find a way to bypass brexit without losing their seats.....

Which brings me back to my original argument as to why politicians are extremely worried about revoking article 50!  They know there is a good chance for many of them that it may result in them losing their seats.

"unless the new PM (Gove or Boris...or Hunt?) can get the EU to agree to another extension."

'In limbo' for even longer, hoping that they can find a way to bypass brexit without losing their seats.....
It will be interesting to see what a hardline Brexit PM like Boris will do, if he wins the Tory leadership. Will he be brave enough to call a GE and force Labour to adopt a Remain/2nd referendum manifesto?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It will be interesting to see what a hardline Brexit PM like Boris will do, if he wins the Tory leadership. Will he be brave enough to call a GE and force Labour to adopt a Remain/2nd referendum manifesto?

I don't believe for one second that boris is a "hardline Brexit PM" - but agree if this happens, he is unlikely to call another immediate GE.

Things are likely to become a touch clearer (as to how MPs will behave) after today's elections.

I don't believe for one second that boris is a "hardline Brexit PM" - but agree if this happens, he is unlikely to call another immediate GE.

Things are likely to become a touch clearer (as to how MPs will behave) after today's elections.
If Boris isn't hardline Brexit, do you think anyone who is will stand for the Tory leadership? Rees-Mogg?

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If Boris isn't hardline Brexit, do you think anyone who is will stand for the Tory leadership? Rees-Mogg?

A good point that is making me think harder than I would like ????.

You're quite right of course - I don't trust any politician further than I can throw them!

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

A good point that is making me think harder than I would like ????.

You're quite right of course - I don't trust any politician further than I can throw them!

I can't readily identify anyone that can do the job either; I don't think Boris would be able to pull it off....at least not without a thorough clearout of the house via a GE which could cost him his own seat!

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

MP's don't need to vote for No Deal as they already voted for article 50. It's already the law that we leave at the end of October, deal or no deal. It's the default position and without a Remainer PM requesting another extension (and the EU agreeing again) we will leave on WTO on that date.

A Brexiteer PM would never revoke.

5 hours ago, malagateddy said:

The UK " map " is WRONG.
Over 1,000,000 voters voted FOR Brexit.!!!!!

Yes, of course that map is wrong. It's a Remainer map of the result which shows a distorts the number of Leave votes over area. As a Scotsman you will know that the yellow area shade for the whole of Scotland exaggerates the true number of Remain votes. With a population of only 5.5 million, there's not so many voting Remain in the Highlands, which is why they almost vanish in terms of votes per sq mile. The maps below represent a more accurate picture of where the volume of votes were. The problems is obviously from the South East and particularly London. 

image.png.f2086ec87ee687fe15ba8733470bf063.png 

3 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Yes, of course that map is wrong. It's a Remainer map of the result which shows a distorts the number of Leave votes over area. As a Scotsman you will know that the yellow area shade for the whole of Scotland exaggerates the true number of Remain votes. With a population of only 5.5 million, there's not so many voting Remain in the Highlands, which is why they almost vanish in terms of votes per sq mile. The maps below represent a more accurate picture of where the volume of votes were. The problems is obviously from the South East and particularly London. 

image.png.f2086ec87ee687fe15ba8733470bf063.png 

That modified map looks curiously familiar.

Apropos Brexit, like a bloated old man with his head on backwards and his gob open shouting. 

Is that a milkshake hitting upside his head I wonder. 

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

JRM would do JUST FINE emoji6.pngemoji2.pngemoji2.pngemoji6.png

He would, but too inexperienced as a backbencher. With Boris or Raab as the next PM, maybe JRM could be part of the next cabinet. They could kick out Theresa's WAB, which would put paid to the Merkel/May Surrender Treaty.

We could then slide out No Deal, or with the support of new Brexit Party MEPs tell the EU what we might be prepared to deal on.  

Just now, Loiner said:

He would, but too inexperienced as a backbencher. With Boris or Raab as the next PM, maybe JRM could be part of the next cabinet. They could kick out Theresa's WAB, which would put paid to the Merkel/May Surrender Treaty.

We could then slide out No Deal, or with the support of new Brexit Party MEPs tell the EU what we might be prepared to deal on.  

You can't have Rees-Mogg he's busy making money hedging against the UK in this crock of Brexit.

JRM and our Mr.Nigel..dynamic duo..tag team..vs..tusk and barnier..
Only 1 winner..

The UK Team [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

On 5/22/2019 at 4:24 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

She and the party that chose her as PM and then  chose her as PM again were voted into office.  

'Democracy' you say.

Correct, 80% of the electorate went on to vote for parties,that stated in their 2017 G.E. manefesto, that they would respect and implement the electorates Democratic decision to leave this so called union. 

And then :- 

B28581E3-5B36-4CDD-83CF-428486FDE25E.jpeg

On 5/22/2019 at 5:16 AM, Pedrogaz said:

May's new deal....exactly the same as the 'old deal'. Yes let's have our highly paid and pampered MPs vote for the fourth time on the same deal. Great idea Theresa. I'm not sure I agree with the idea of women leaders of this is your idea of how to get Brexit.

Just leave....no deal at all. After we have left, and paid no money at all to the EU, then negotiate a deal from a position of strength. A post Brexit, trade deal makes sound economic sense, and is a win-win for both sides as the EU sell much more to Britain that Britain does to the EU. Germany looks as if it is going into recession, not helped by Trump trade wars....they won't like losing the VW-Audi-Merc-BMW sales on the UK as well.

Well what does a leading German economist think :- 

20 hours ago, Basil B said:

Rummy you are very naughty.

You will have the Brexiteers running for the smelling salts... ????

Lets Waite for Sunday’s result, and then you can post this again.

19 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Correct, 80% of the electorate went on to vote for parties,that stated in their 2017 G.E. manefesto, that they would respect and implement the electorates Democratic decision to leave this so called union. 

And then :- 

Well the U.K. has an deal that it seems nobody likes, so put the deal to the people and let them decide.

7 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

The problem is, that the E.u has no intention of agreeing a fair treaty, based on the British people’s wish. And our representatives in Westminster 

have no intentions of respecting that demand, therefore unless a Brexiteers P.M. can either miraculously agree a deal with the E.u or persuade Westminster to agree on a no deal exit, it looks increasingly like a G.E. 

the reason you,re getting 40 baht to the £1 is mainly due to the brexit fiasco,3 years they,ve had to sort it out and done jack shit.and what happened to mays famous quote "no deals better than a bad deal" ?.and lets not forget british steel,gone down the gurgler because "eu rules" prevented the british government from giving them a loan.but lets forget the uk for a moment,whats happening in the rest of europe,france in a state of anarchy,poland,the czechs,and hungary ORDERED to take in migrants and have said up yours,and greece and a lot of southern med countries on the bones of their arse.3.5 million eu citizens living,working and poncing in the uk,what do,es that tell you about the state of the eu?

British steel still has orders on its books.

Don't believe everything the media tell you.

The chinese are dumping steel at cheap prices because of tango man's tariffs.

No one can compete with that.

The way sterling has fallen its a pleasant surprise its 40 baht.

I would bite someones arm off to be guaranteed that rate when i am there.

Archived