MEV Refused entry

21 minutes ago, madmaxx77 said:

1) I am under the impression that all of the above does not matter when one holds an MEV. Has this changed?

Apparently not, it seems to vary. These 'rules' are being applied to people with Visas and without.  Heard of a few. Usually land borders (except Poi-Phet) are Ok though. 

The 15 days flight out does not make sense .

What type of Multiple Entry Visa do you have?

Edited by jacko45k

What type of multiple entry visa (MEV?) do you have?

1. Many crossing at the border with Malaysia require you to stay overnight before re-entering the country.

2.  Odd requirement.

3. That makes no sense unless you were applying for a 15 day visa on arrival.

• Like 1

Is it possible that the official missed the fact that you had a visa, and thought you were trying to enter visa exempt? That would make the requirements a little less strange. Overall, though, it seems like the official took a dislike to you, and decided to show you the requirements for a visa on arrival, claiming they applied to an METV.

EDIT: I would personally not try to make a formal complaint, even though justified. It is unlikely to get you anywhere.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, madmaxx77 said:

My questions are?

1) I am under the impression that all of the above does not matter when one holds an MEV. Has this changed?

2) Besides the fact that having a flight out in 15 days when the entry allows two months does not make sense, and the rudeness and yelling; how can we react to such behaviour? Can I make a formal complaint?

At the discretion of the Immigration Officer?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Apparently not, it seems to vary. These 'rules' are being applied to people with Visas and without.  Heard of a few. Usually land borders (except Poi-Phet) are Ok though. 

The 15 days flight out does not make sense .

What type of Multiple Entry Visa do you have?

Have you been in the kingdom more than 180 days in the past year? If so, you cannot call yourself a tourist

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

as I am new, I hope this reaches everyone.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

The Visa number was on the card and was noticed. I am not covered in tats and my Thai is basic to be optimistic.

One needs a rental contract to open a bank account to then bring the money in for a Retirement visa.

I concur on the disliking theory and relative lack of results via a formal complaint. However the point that remains is the requirement to spend a day out when having a visa (officially!) is or is not existing (anyone can enforce whatever comes to their mind). In this case there can be 2 days 3 days or more.

And following one of the questions, are there more than one type of MEV? The one I have allows 5 entries and I am not aware of others.

Have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, madmaxx77 said:

And following one of the questions, are there more than one type of MEV? The one I have allows 5 entries and I am not aware of others.

There is a multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from date of issue. Code TR on the visa sticker.

There is also multiple entry non immigrant visas that allow unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue. 

To repeat what I said in another thread, I was worried that I might be refused on an METV as I come and go so much.  I asked at Suvarnabhumi when I left in April - the I.O. looked at my entry and exit stamps and said I'd be OK as I leave and stay out a number of weeks. I got the impression that what they are looking for is border runners who are in fact, living in Thailand on tourist visas.  Clearly they don't pull everyone as there seems to be plenty still living in Thailand without the correct visa but I think they should count thereselves lucky - times seem to be changing.  I wouldn't rely on that for much longer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, gamini said:
Have you been in the kingdom more than 180 days in the past year? If so, you cannot call yourself a tourist

Of course you can

Of course you can call yourself whatever you like.  The Thai Revenue Department says you're a tax resident, though.

https://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Not a big stretch to believe that IO's know this inconvenient little tidbit, and have a hard time with a tax resident coming and going on tourist visas.

• Like 1

Ahh Damnit, I am scheduled to cross at Pedang Besar on an METV in a few days time. Ahh well I guess Ill see how it goes, If denied, I might try a direct flight to CNX, as there still seem to be very few reports of issues there.

12 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The whole point of the METV is to grant long-term stays.

Its for multiple entries for "tourism" a 60 day stay each time. I dont think it was ever intended as a visa to use back to back to live in Thailand.

I know its not official and the rules say otherwise but there appears to be an awful lot of these denials of entry for people using the visa as a pseudo long stay visa. I think its important nowadays to present as a tourist doing tourist things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If the visa is "incorrect" then the terms specified for the visa functionality is incorrect. 

I'll stand corrected but as far as I know, a visa doesn't guarantee entry. I believe immigration officers have a degree of discretion - I know they do in the UK. Granted, that discretion probably has ground rules which are probably abused but isn't living in Thailand on tourist visas a form of abuse too?

• Like 2

You are not allowed to leave Thailand and return same day - even if you have a valid visa. This regulation Was introduced around 2014. I know, as I experienced a non-entr on theses grounds at Sadao. Came back next day, no problem.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, riclag said:

If some one applies and meets the requierments for a visa by represenitives of the kingdom and then comes half way around the world in some cases ,only to find another department refuses their entry is wrong 

While I agree that there is a little too much uncertainty, there are a lot of people who apply for and receive a tourist visa, who then show up and start tending bar, doing wedding photos for cash, running illegal tourist groups, work in illegal boiler rooms, etc.  That's why IO's always have discretion.

Whether they use it wisely and for legitimate purposes is another question entirely.

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

If some one applies and meets the requirements for a visa by representatives of the kingdom and then comes half way around the world in some cases ,only to find another department refuses their entry is wrong 

Yes, it is wrong that the embassy can issue a visa without having the ability to know whether or not the visitor would be allowed to enter. The embassy would say they are just doing their job. Likewise immigration in the country of choice.

As far as the traveller is concerned, it's tough luck.

We live in the information technology age, embassies round the world should be able to communicate with immigration instantly and seamlessly. I can book a taxi in Ecuador from my mobile phone, but the Royal Thai Consulate in New York cannot get in touch with Thailand immigration before issuing a visa.

• Like 1

On a separate note, if you enter Thailand 3 times within a rolling period of 180 days without a  valid visa, you may be considered as a non-tourist with the the prospect of being denied entry. I understand this rule can be applied to those entering by air, so be aware that you think you can enter multiple times without a visa. Maybe, Ubonjoe can confirm

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

While I agree that there is a little too much uncertainty, there are a lot of people who apply for and receive a tourist visa, who then show up and start tending bar, doing wedding photos for cash, running illegal tourist groups, work in illegal boiler rooms, etc.  That's why IO's always have discretion.

Whether they use it wisely and for legitimate purposes is another question entirely.

yes thats true to some extent but the people who are denied entry aren't being denied  for running illegal tourist groups,work in illegal boiler rooms, start tending bar, doing wedding photos for cash, etc. Many are being denied before those violations occur!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

yes thats true to some extent but the people who are denied entry aren't being denied  for running illegal tourist groups,work in illegal boiler rooms, start tending bar, doing wedding photos for cash, etc. Many are being denied before those violations occur!

That's true in some cases, but there are many cases where the illegal activity has been going on for months and only ends when an IO stops them from coming back into Thailand.  So a lot of legitimate tourists pay for the transgressions of others. 

Not unlike a lot of life...

On a side note, I've never understood the mentality that says it's better to show your long term apartment lease than a hotel reservation when protesting your status as a "tourist".   With computers, printers and refundable online bookings, that's just lazy.

21 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Yes, it is wrong that the embassy can issue a visa without having the ability to know whether or not the visitor would be allowed to enter. The embassy would say they are just doing their job. Likewise immigration in the country of choice.

As far as the traveller is concerned, it's tough luck.

We live in the information technology age, embassies round the world should be able to communicate with immigration instantly and seamlessly. I can book a taxi in Ecuador from my mobile phone, but the Royal Thai Consulate in New York cannot get in touch with Thailand immigration before issuing a visa.

It is not as simple as just contacting immigration. To know if entry will be denied, you need to know, at least, the entry point that will be used, and the IO supervisor who will be on duty. At the majority of land crossings, and some airports, there is no need to check with anyone because we know if you have a visa entry will only be denied according to the rules prescribed by Thailand's Immigration Act. At those entry points that do not follow the law, it often depends on which immigration official is at the counter when you arrive, and that official's supervisor, whether additional unofficial reasons for denied entry (over and above those prescribed by law) will be applied.

Indeed, it is instructive to look at what happens when immigration is consulted before issuing a visa. When you apply for the Thailand Elite program, immigration typically takes 1-4 months to screen your application. At the end of that time, you receive a notification that your membership application is accepted, but that immigration may still deny entry when you arrive at the airport to have the Thailand Elite visa affixed to your passport.

• Like 1