BANGKOK 18 June 2019 10:08

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, madmaxx77 said:

1) I am under the impression that all of the above does not matter when one holds an MEV. Has this changed?

Apparently not, it seems to vary. These 'rules' are being applied to people with Visas and without.  Heard of a few. Usually land borders (except Poi-Phet) are Ok though. 

The 15 days flight out does not make sense .

What type of Multiple Entry Visa do you have?

Edited by jacko45k

What type of multiple entry visa (MEV?) do you have?

1. Many crossing at the border with Malaysia require you to stay overnight before re-entering the country.

2.  Odd requirement.

3. That makes no sense unless you were applying for a 15 day visa on arrival.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is it possible that the official missed the fact that you had a visa, and thought you were trying to enter visa exempt? That would make the requirements a little less strange. Overall, though, it seems like the official took a dislike to you, and decided to show you the requirements for a visa on arrival, claiming they applied to an METV.

EDIT: I would personally not try to make a formal complaint, even though justified. It is unlikely to get you anywhere.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, madmaxx77 said:

My questions are?

1) I am under the impression that all of the above does not matter when one holds an MEV. Has this changed?

2) Besides the fact that having a flight out in 15 days when the entry allows two months does not make sense, and the rudeness and yelling; how can we react to such behaviour? Can I make a formal complaint?

At the discretion of the Immigration Officer?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Apparently not, it seems to vary. These 'rules' are being applied to people with Visas and without.  Heard of a few. Usually land borders (except Poi-Phet) are Ok though. 

The 15 days flight out does not make sense .

What type of Multiple Entry Visa do you have?

Have you been in the kingdom more than 180 days in the past year? If so, you cannot call yourself a tourist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hi All,

as I am new, I hope this reaches everyone.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

The Visa number was on the card and was noticed. I am not covered in tats and my Thai is basic to be optimistic.

One needs a rental contract to open a bank account to then bring the money in for a Retirement visa.

I concur on the disliking theory and relative lack of results via a formal complaint. However the point that remains is the requirement to spend a day out when having a visa (officially!) is or is not existing (anyone can enforce whatever comes to their mind). In this case there can be 2 days 3 days or more.

And following one of the questions, are there more than one type of MEV? The one I have allows 5 entries and I am not aware of others.

Have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, madmaxx77 said:

And following one of the questions, are there more than one type of MEV? The one I have allows 5 entries and I am not aware of others.

There is a multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from date of issue. Code TR on the visa sticker.

There is also multiple entry non immigrant visas that allow unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue. 

To repeat what I said in another thread, I was worried that I might be refused on an METV as I come and go so much.  I asked at Suvarnabhumi when I left in April - the I.O. looked at my entry and exit stamps and said I'd be OK as I leave and stay out a number of weeks. I got the impression that what they are looking for is border runners who are in fact, living in Thailand on tourist visas.  Clearly they don't pull everyone as there seems to be plenty still living in Thailand without the correct visa but I think they should count thereselves lucky - times seem to be changing.  I wouldn't rely on that for much longer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1