Have job offer but visa running out

Hi - not sure if anyone can be of any help on my query here.

I am currently on my second visa exempt from the border that runs out in a few weeks. Before that I was on an SETV and before that I was on a Non-B for about 4 years while working for an IT company.

My situation is this - I have found a position for work with another IT company, but the application etc will not be ready by the time my visa runs out and will all be ready a few weeks afterwards.

My query is this - I will move to somewhere - most probably, Vietnam - until the application is ready; but how do I get back into Thailand?

* My visa exempts from border run will be over for the calendar year, so I cannot do this.

* If I apply for a SETV in Vietnam (with then this being converted to a Non Imm B when back in Thailand, seems the normal procedure), I have a red stamp in my passport, which was why I get rejected in Vientienne about 6 months back and means I cannot get in other places too. So, not sure what will help me here.

* If I fly back with visa exempt through the airports, worried I will run into issues with the IO etc.

Must stress, I'm not working illegally or anything and this company is all legit. Is there anything I can get from the company or Labor dept before I leave for Vietnam to help with any application for a SETV. Or can I just apply for a Non B there?

Regarding the company, I know they successfully have employed in other employees from other Asian countries, but I'm one of their first farang I think, so some of my questions to them, they are a little unsure of.

The obvious solution is to have the company courier you the documents you need to apply for the Non B  in Vietnam, and to apply for the Non B there.

You could also get a replacement passport, after which getting an SETV in Vietnam would be possible.

I would not recommend trying to return visa exempt via an airport with your history.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

I am currently on my second visa exempt from the border that runs out in a few weeks.

Have you done a 30 day extension of that entry?

I doubt you will be able to get a single entry tourist visa in Vietnam with a the stamp on the visa. You could try though,

Unless you many visa exempt entries by air I don't think you will have a problem entering the country.

• Like 1

Hmm. I think they should be able to give you an introduction letter so you can apply for a business visa. Then get the work permit etc. 

You'll still have to leave and comeback even for your non-immigrant visa. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Hmm. I think they should be able to give you an introduction letter so you can apply for a business visa. Then get the work permit etc. 

That would not be enough to get a non-b visa for working. A work permit application approval letter or a WP3 is required to apply for one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The obvious solution is to have the company courier you the documents you need to apply for the Non B  in Vietnam, and to apply for the Non B there.

You could also get a replacement passport, after which getting an SETV in Vietnam would be possible.

I would not recommend trying to return visa exempt via an airport with your history.

Thanks BritTim. If all options point to a replacement passport, will have to do that.

Would flying through be okay though if I have letters etc from the Labour dept re the job and the documents you mention?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would not be enough to get a non-b visa for working. A work permit application approval letter or a WP3 is required to apply for one.

Thanks UbonJoe.

I will mention this to the company to get sorted before I fly out of here.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you done a 30 day extension of that entry?

I doubt you will be able to get a single entry tourist visa in Vietnam with a the stamp on the visa. You could try though,

Unless you many visa exempt entries by air I don't think you will have a problem entering the country.

I actually wasn't aware you could do a 30 day extension on a 30 day exempt. Thank you.

I have never done any visa exempt entries by air, only 3 by border. 1 last year, two this year,

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I'm not suggesting that a business visa is any good for a work permit. However it may solve the problem that the OP seems to have used up his tourist visa "nine lives" so needs some reason to be allowed back in. If his potential employer can invite him for an interview...?

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm not suggesting that a business visa is any good for a work permit.

Getting a non-b visa for business reasons is almost as difficult now as getting one based upon working. It requires paperwork from the company you are working for outside of the country and proof of business contacts in Thailand to get one now.