Unreliable Utilities

worgeordie

The rainy season is just starting,yesterday we had a little wind and rain
and off goes the Electricity,as it does,then late last night the water goes
off, this morning its trickling out the tap,i can piss harder,we live a few Kilometers
from the city centre so it's not like its the back of beyond.

Why the Government spends Billions and Billions on Weapons of War, Subs,
Tanks,Planes,Helicopters and other useless crap that will be broken down
in a few years,spending on this stuff does not help the population,only ones
that gain from it are the Generals, 

They need to spend some money on having a reliable Electricity supply for
everyone in Thailand,as this has been an ongoing problem for years,get the
simple things right...........I know,I know, not much commission from repairing
the electrical system,so don't expect things to improve anytime soon.

Anyone else having problems with electricity ,water supplies ?
regards Worgeordie

Yes, I’ve had it going off a fair bit lately, it’s pathetic in this day and age.

To be fair though it’s not normally off for too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They need to spend some money on having a reliable Electricity supply for

everyone in Thailand,as this has been an ongoing problem for years

Well they are improving it in and around us, improving infrastructure takes a long time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madmen said:

What village are you in? No probs here in bangkok

We are not that far outside BKK (inside the outer ring road) but still everytime there is flash-and-bang in the area the power goes off.

We have an auto-start genset and UPS's on the essential kit (PCs, routers, Madam's TV) so we barely notice anything apart from the aircon beeping when the genset comes on line.

Intermittent and variable (180V) power is just a fact of life. Mitigate it as best you can, nothing is going to change any time soon ????

• Like 2

Yep. one drop of rain or a gentle breeze and the power goes off.

We have had no water for days up here in Khon Kaen.

This is what happens with monopolies.

On the water bill it says "Customers happy with our product and service"

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 2

I log all the power outages we have, I started doing it as we seemed to have so many.

Living in Udon, just outside the ring road, in the past five-and-a-half years we've had 69 power outages, ranging from 5 minutes to 10 hours 45 minutes.

I think the water supply has gone off once, maybe twice, for a day or so. The neighbours told us.

We don't really notice as we have two 800 litre tanks that fill from the mains water supply. It would be days before realised the water was off.

Same here in North Chon Buri, electrical storm, power goes. But, we have a 3 phase supply from PEA for wife's chicken farm. We got the local PEA guys to install the tranformer, wire, posts, shed and generator hook-up and in return they upgraded 7km of 3-phase supply around the area. PEA runs a group on the Line app. Whenever the power goes, day or night, we call and a PEA team goes out to fix it. Gotta say the service is great. Usually only off for an hour or two and we have a 60kVA genny.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well they are improving it in and around us, improving infrastructure takes a long time.

Same in  our area. Outages  used to be frequent and  long. Now they are  infrequent and usually last a few seconds up to 3  times. If a 3rd outage occurs it  can be a long one which I presume is due to all alternative  feeds being damaged. Lightning  strikes are usually  fatal to transformers and it is not PEA's  fault  it happens. Certainly the supply is more consistent although in the last couple of  months depleted and  wavering in voltage. I put it down to the increasing level of  aircon  usage  and  the  supply being regulated to avoid  excess draw on reserves via substations. Always  better at night which may be due to industrial consumers having the priority?

• Like 1

Mind you could be worse on the power cuts front .. Remember the 3 day week back in the 70's .? Imagine if they had that sort of thing going on in Thailand .. Be a good time to move into the candles market though I suppose ..  

14 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I would speculate that everyone of us will have long turned to dust before the 'spaghetti' is gone.

Often it's actually amazed me that any of it actually works at all. How any lineman can identify whats still active or just abandoned cable in the mess of tangled wires truly amazes me.

In our Thai home we always keep a supply of battery lamps, ready for that couple of claps of thunder.

As for the guys in Bangkok, you live in a special Thai bubble, most of the country...not so much!

Agreed. 

I have switched to solar lights around the outside home now too, so if the power is out the place is not in total darkness of an evening.

• Like 1

Close to BKK near central westgate no problems with watersupply only electricity that goes off sometimes for a short time (few seconds) and even rarer longer (think one time this year usually when it rains). So cant complain too much. For the short power breaks i got an UPS.. if longer im F@cked but does not happen often enough to warrant an generator.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

We are not that far outside BKK (inside the outer ring road) but still everytime there is flash-and-bang in the area the power goes off.

We have an auto-start genset and UPS's on the essential kit (PCs, routers, Madam's TV) so we barely notice anything apart from the aircon beeping when the genset comes on line.

Intermittent and variable (180V) power is just a fact of life. Mitigate it as best you can, nothing is going to change any time soon ????

I'm lost when it comes to electric, is this easy to do? in the past i've asked an electrician about it but it just seems way above his knowledge, any info of how to set up would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nong Krot north of Nakhon S. - power out last night for 6 hours, no generator... yet, but have considered it, because of endless unstable electricity. PEA? Gave up on these bastards long time ago: "You need talk to puu yai baan and collect 500 signed letters from people, then we will consider more transformer".

Bangkok political/taharn elite more busy with Thailand 4.0 - whatever that is, and highspeed trains, stupid as they are.. 

FIX THE CRUMBLING INFRASTRUCTURE FIRST, YOU MORONS!!!

Edited by wilailuk
  • Like 1

About five kilometers from Pua in Nan province. Six storms in last eight weeks, lost power in all of them. Not for long, longest maybe 90 minutes. Couple of other outages that turned out to be for planned installations/maintenance. One storm also cut the True fibre optic cable in two places. Was fixed within a day of us reporting it, seems we are the only folks using it in our locale. We have low voltage from PEA but as at least one person above said, nothing you can do about that other than your own mitigations. Village water has been strong and clean to date. All-in-all I'm reasonably happy with our utilities.

4 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I'm lost when it comes to electric, is this easy to do? in the past i've asked an electrician about it but it just seems way above his knowledge, any info of how to set up would be very much appreciated.

Have a look in this thread, it's certainly not beyond a competent DIYer but some knowledge of electrics is really needed.

Alternatively Global (and other places) sell generators that are "auto start ready" along with the transfer switches. One imagines that they also provide an installation service ????

5 hours ago, johng said:

We still get regular power cuts here in Pattaya/Jomtien area.

" The World class family and Riviera of Thailand resort"  !!

You must be unlucky then as, touch wood, central/north Pattaya only recent cuts were when they were doing something along 3rd Road with the power lines - and that was some months ago.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And up North here in San Sai, power goes out nearly every time there's a strong wind or a bit of rain.

In San Sai (the Doi Saket side) as well and luckily haven't had any cuts this year (last year regularly) but my biggest problem is the power flickering on and off (a second or so) when there's really strong wind. Had to go an buy a UPS for my computer it was so bad earlier this month.