Unreliable Utilities

worgeordie

1 minute ago, lordblackader said:

In San Sai (the Doi Saket side) as well and luckily haven't had any cuts this year (last year regularly) but my biggest problem is the power flickering on and off (a second or so) when there's really strong wind. Had to go an buy a UPS for my computer it was so bad earlier this month. 

Me too!

We have outages with the water supply (we are semi rural) but it is no wonder as the plastic pipes are laid alongside the concrete road but no one looks after the road shoulders so the are often exposed and easy to break.

Electricity only goes off only in big storms (although many of them at this time of the year) but we have just sold a bike at a low price to our PEA service man and am expecting better service.

4 hours ago, fishtank said:

Yep. one drop of rain or a gentle breeze and the power goes off.

We have had no water for days up here in Khon Kaen.

This is what happens with monopolies.

On the water bill it says "Customers happy with our product and service"

And I am guessing you will use quite a bit of the wet stuff, given your username ???? ???? ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, johng said:

We still get regular power cuts here in Pattaya/Jomtien area.

" The World class family and Riviera of Thailand resort"  !!

Lived in Jomtien full time almost three years, had maybe two or three brownouts max...if you are in a condo, maybe its their fault.

Its an issue because every service is on a pole nothing will ever improve until it all goes UG in Hang Dong area yesterday savage bit of wind brought down trees (and my awning) electric off for 4 hours looking out outside via cam looks like round 2 coming????

Our water has been off all day,started late last night,

this is the longest its ever been down, good job I have a tank

and pump,it's been raining a little bit with thunder and lightning

so expecting the electric to go off too.

regards worgeordie

Our water was off for a couple of hours just this morning, electricity seems to be off for short periods on a monthly basis, often due to a mixture of high winds, trees and cables.

Have you not considered getting a tank and pump? They do away with the inconvenience of short term interuptions to the water supply and are quite inexpensive to have installed.

You should be glad you didn't live here 50 years ago.  You'd be complaining when you ran out of kerosene for the lamps.  :thumbsup:
Electricity in Thailand is many place is a relatively recent technological arrival.  Not quite up to first world standards yet.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Have a look in this thread, it's certainly not beyond a competent DIYer but some knowledge of electrics is really needed.

Alternatively Global (and other places) sell generators that are "auto start ready" along with the transfer switches. One imagines that they also provide an installation service ????

Thank you.

Earlier this month the headland wife went to our little park and announced to all who were there that the following day there will be 

No electric from 9-5pm.

There was 20 people in the park for our moo bahn but there's 300 houses!

So we get up early to prepare electric stays on no outrage at all.

Driving past a road close by that day and a little sign advising people of the same power outrage but it's next Friday.

The outtage lasted 2 hours.

This year our power seems like it's been out more than it's been on. We have to limit ourselves to one room and one a/c unit and sometimes not even that works because the power drops so low. Also it doesn't take much of a storm to knock the lights out for hours and hours, usually that only happens when the temperatures are sweltering hot and just before bedtime...so you can't shower or run the a/c or fan.

It does seem odd that in a country where everyone is running around with internet connected smart phones and many have modern conveniences and cars that keeping utilities operating smoothly seems like an impossibility.

3 hours ago, mlkik said:

We had a big storm yesterday evening in our village about 20 kms from Udon. The electricity went off as well as water and it only came back on after 22 hours!

And the locals will say nothing. Ant things will continue the same way.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And up North here in San Sai, power goes out nearly every time there's a strong wind or a bit of rain.

Can concur, I’m also in San Sai and as soon as the wind starts to blow, I plug in my phone. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Anyone else having problems with electricity ,water supplies ?

I have my own water supply so no problems there. Electricity this year has been bad since the strong winds /  storms started, but I noticed they are puling new lines along the main road on higher / bigger poles so I hope it will get better in the near future. I usually alert them through the app as soon as the power cuts off and normally they fix it very fast (about 10 days ago I had to notify them through the app twice - 05:40 + 10:30, a neighbor told me he called the hotline at 07:30, and I visited their local offices 3 times at 12:30, 14:30 and 16:30 before it was fixed...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midzo said:

Can concur, I’m also in San Sai and as soon as the wind starts to blow, I plug in my phone. 

I live in San Sai too,seems ,for some reason to be prone

to problems when the wind blows or it rains,and it's been

like this for a very long time.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well they are improving it in and around us, improving infrastructure takes a long time.

Yes especially when you have a military government where the priorities are tanks and submarines.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, connda said:

Electricity in Thailand is many place is a relatively recent technological arrival.  Not quite up to first world standards yet.

Same goes for drivers of motorized vehicles on the roads.

22 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

Near Kalasin   this year particularly  worse than others   slightest indication of faraway thunder /lighting also close  off it goes   friend suggested  they off the power to save damage to power lines/equipment   but not to sure  

however far more cuts so far than other years  i conclude lack of preventive maintenance  

I'm in the Kalasin area and have problems with the electric supply being too weak to run the aircon in the recent hot weather. Probably because the locals are getting richer and buying their own aircon etc, and of course there has been no forward planning by the authorities. It was so uncomfortable that I've decided to delay a trip back to the UK planned for September until next April to avoid the problem.

I've repeatedly asked my wife to speak with the local office and check if they are aware of the problem and if there is anything being done to fix it. And she has repeatedly not done so as she doesn't think she will get a sensible answer. And so it continues, Thai-style, doing nothing.

You must be unlucky then as, touch wood, central/north Pattaya only recent cuts were when they were doing something along 3rd Road with the power lines - and that was some months ago.
Still have power up there in north Pattaya ? ?

23 minutes ago, johng said:
On 5/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, topt said:
You must be unlucky then as, touch wood, central/north Pattaya only recent cuts were when they were doing something along 3rd Road with the power lines - and that was some months ago.

Still have power up there in north Pattaya ? ?

:thumbsup:

We also get regular Electricity cuts here on the outskirts of Chiangmai. 11 Kms along the Hang dong road - just before Kad Farang.

I've been here for almost two years - at least a dozen power cuts - if not more!