BANGKOK 20 July 2019 11:55
worgeordie

Unreliable Utilities

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And up North here in San Sai, power goes out nearly every time there's a strong wind or a bit of rain.

Can concur, I’m also in San Sai and as soon as the wind starts to blow, I plug in my phone. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Anyone else having problems with electricity ,water supplies ?

I have my own water supply so no problems there. Electricity this year has been bad since the strong winds /  storms started, but I noticed they are puling new lines along the main road on higher / bigger poles so I hope it will get better in the near future. I usually alert them through the app as soon as the power cuts off and normally they fix it very fast (about 10 days ago I had to notify them through the app twice - 05:40 + 10:30, a neighbor told me he called the hotline at 07:30, and I visited their local offices 3 times at 12:30, 14:30 and 16:30 before it was fixed...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midzo said:

Can concur, I’m also in San Sai and as soon as the wind starts to blow, I plug in my phone. 

I live in San Sai too,seems ,for some reason to be prone

to problems when the wind blows or it rains,and it's been

like this for a very long time.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well they are improving it in and around us, improving infrastructure takes a long time.

Yes especially when you have a military government where the priorities are tanks and submarines.

• Haha 1

Phuket during the dry season has few electricity problems, but once the rain starts you hear the BANG of exploding fuses every few days. And we live right next door to the electricity sub-station.

20 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Anything here takes a long time.

Well, they (the locals) do tend to drive very fast on the roads.

14 hours ago, connda said:

Electricity in Thailand is many place is a relatively recent technological arrival.  Not quite up to first world standards yet.

Same goes for drivers of motorized vehicles on the roads.

22 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

Near Kalasin   this year particularly  worse than others   slightest indication of faraway thunder /lighting also close  off it goes   friend suggested  they off the power to save damage to power lines/equipment   but not to sure  

however far more cuts so far than other years  i conclude lack of preventive maintenance  

I'm in the Kalasin area and have problems with the electric supply being too weak to run the aircon in the recent hot weather. Probably because the locals are getting richer and buying their own aircon etc, and of course there has been no forward planning by the authorities. It was so uncomfortable that I've decided to delay a trip back to the UK planned for September until next April to avoid the problem.

I've repeatedly asked my wife to speak with the local office and check if they are aware of the problem and if there is anything being done to fix it. And she has repeatedly not done so as she doesn't think she will get a sensible answer. And so it continues, Thai-style, doing nothing.

Where I live in Bangkok power was out last night for about two hours after the storm.

• Like 1

Sitting outside right now, slight storm power brown-out 50- 150 volts
Thailand 4.0 !

• Haha 1

You must be unlucky then as, touch wood, central/north Pattaya only recent cuts were when they were doing something along 3rd Road with the power lines - and that was some months ago.
Still have power up there in north Pattaya ? ?

23 minutes ago, johng said:
On 5/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, topt said:
You must be unlucky then as, touch wood, central/north Pattaya only recent cuts were when they were doing something along 3rd Road with the power lines - and that was some months ago.

Still have power up there in north Pattaya ? ?

:thumbsup:

Can I assume the thumbs up means you do still have 230 (odd) volts ?

We also get regular Electricity cuts here on the outskirts of Chiangmai. 11 Kms along the Hang dong road - just before Kad Farang.

I've been here for almost two years - at least a dozen power cuts - if not more!