Unreliable Utilities

worgeordie

1 hour ago, johng said:
1 hour ago, topt said:
emoji106.png

Can I assume the thumbs up means you do still have 230 (odd) volts ?

Yes everything has been working fine. Some lights were out in the village entrance when I came through earlier (not sure why) but had no interruptions or flickering lights personally or around me.

We were smart enough to put in a talk and pump as everyone else does too? No water last week and turned on the pump and 10 minutes later no power. Happens alot here in Chiang Rai area where we live .We are ok when there is high winds , but i a gecko farts the power goes off Bloody  geckos/!!!

When it comes to unreliable utilities it should not be forgotten that those of us who have no choice other than to subscribe to satellite TV services frequently have to endure outages whenever a few drops of rain moisten our dishes - usually when there's something worth watching on the box!????

On top of that we then have to cope with so-called "sun outages" around the equinoxes!

Edited by OJAS

On 5/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, worgeordie said:

Anyone else having problems with electricity ,water supplies ?

We live 1 minute drive to the main part of the village and their 

power didn’t go out. Ours was out 20 hrs. Generally every time it 

rains power goes out. 

Water minor issue but we’ve a well as backup 

• Thanks 1

Apart from the total power outages, there are the brown outs, which are daily.

The refrigerator compressor starts groaning, then the solar inventor kicks out at about 180V.

Its a daily event, for whatever reason around 10-11am

Edited by GinBoy2

On 5/22/2019 at 1:06 PM, bluesofa said:

I log all the power outages we have, I started doing it as we seemed to have so many.

Living in Udon, just outside the ring road, in the past five-and-a-half years we've had 69 power outages, ranging from 5 minutes to 10 hours 45 minutes.

I think the water supply has gone off once, maybe twice, for a day or so. The neighbours told us.

We don't really notice as we have two 800 litre tanks that fill from the mains water supply. It would be days before realised the water was off.

I'm in Udon as well not as many power outages as I remember but lost heaps of water pressure recently inexplicably. We have tanks amd a solid pump but as of late the water only seems to be a drizzle.

17 minutes ago, starky said:

I'm in Udon as well not as many power outages as I remember but lost heaps of water pressure recently inexplicably. We have tanks amd a solid pump but as of late the water only seems to be a drizzle.

If you are losing water pressure from your own pump supply clean your filters (if you have any) or check your pump impellor. That or check the pump voltage...  

Rarely have electric go out. Usually as a result of lightening storm. Aside from those outages, usually not lasting more than 1-2 hours, my utility experience here in Sannameng, Chiang Mai has been good. I construction interrupts water supply, we have a 1500 litre tank and pump that lasts quite a while for our family of 3 people.

10 hours ago, topt said:

Yes everything has been working fine. Some lights were out in the village entrance when I came through earlier (not sure why) but had no interruptions or flickering lights personally or around me.

I don't know if last nights "storm" ( it was quite mild really compared to some)  reached Central/North Pattaya ?? ..for me in Na-Jomtien there was about 3 hours of brown out,  black out, brown out    voltages down to 50 volts  then upto 180 volts I turned most things off  as the on off  brown outs can be very damaging to  electronics...I went to the local Mini Big C  to get some beer ( too much beer)  they had power but the lights in the refrigerators where flashing like a disco and the aircons where off..I surveyed the other apartments  I passed by and about 1/3 seemed to have power even  2 adjacent apartments  one person was happily sitting with fan,lights and TV on and  his next door neighbour fumbling around in the dark with a candle.

Anyway about 11pm 3 PEA employees  fixed the nearby transformer..I think maybe they changed the huge 3 phase fuses,  only saw them right at the end   flipping the  knife switches back on  using a long bamboo pole.

Large_P_20190524_090108_HDR.thumb.jpg.e456127dd85712522a59676ece2c39ea.jpg

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

satellite TV services frequently have to endure outages whenever a few drops of rain moisten our dishes

Assuming you have True with a less than 60cm diameter dish ??

you need a bigger dish..or better still a bigger dish  and "C band LNB"    C band is much less prone to rain outage. ( don't know if True  still broadcast on C band)

Sun outage  nothing can help  as the sun is directly aligned behind the satellite sending massive amounts of radio frequencies that overwhelm anything, luckily they only last for a few minutes for a couple of days around the summer and winter equinoxes.

On 5/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, BritManToo said:

And up North here in San Sai, power goes out nearly every time there's a strong wind or a bit of rain.

Same here. I farted the other day and the light bulb flickered. 

More seriously, same as OP, first clap of thunder out went the power for a mere 4 hours. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, johng said:

I don't know if last nights "storm" ( it was quite mild really compared to some)  reached Central/North Pattaya ?? ..for me in Na-Jomtien there was about 3 hours of brown out,  black out, brown out    voltages down to 50 volts  then upto 180 volts I turned most things off  as the on off  brown outs can be very damaging to  electronics...I went to the local Mini Big C  to get some beer ( too much beer)  they had power but the lights in the refrigerators where flashing like a disco and the aircons where off..I surveyed the other apartments  I passed by and about 1/3 seemed to have power even  2 adjacent apartments  one person was happily sitting with fan,lights and TV on and  his next door neighbour fumbling around in the dark with a candle.

Anyway about 11pm 3 PEA employees  fixed the nearby transformer..I think maybe they changed the huge 3 phase fuses,  only saw them right at the end   flipping the  knife switches back on  using a long bamboo pole.

Large_P_20190524_090108_HDR.thumb.jpg.e456127dd85712522a59676ece2c39ea.jpg

....is the main source of the outages with the exception of trees, branches falling on power lines.

34 minutes ago, johng said:

Assuming you have True with a less than 60cm diameter dish ??

you need a bigger dish..or better still a bigger dish  and "C band LNB"    C band is much less prone to rain outage. ( don't know if True  still broadcast on C band)

Sun outage  nothing can help  as the sun is directly aligned behind the satellite sending massive amounts of radio frequencies that overwhelm anything, luckily they only last for a few minutes for a couple of days around the summer and winter equinoxes.

Maybe cable TV would prove a partial solution at least. I'm not, however, holding my breath for the necessary cables coming our way any time soon. And we would presumably still be stuck with "sun outages"?

7 minutes ago, grollies said:

Fuses dropping out of the 3-phase transformers.

Plus maybe these transformers shorting out through inadequate design and/or incompetent installation??

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Maybe cable TV would prove a partial solution at least. I'm not, however, holding my breath for the necessary cables coming our way any time soon. And we would presumably still be stuck with "sun outages"?

Sun outages affect every geosynchronous orbiting satellite  so if a cable company  was providing  a channel sourced from a satellite it would be affected too...no way around it.

You have internet...there are many Internet Protocol TV (IPTV) providers now    I know TRUE,ToT,3BB,AIS etc all have a TV via internet service...no need to wait for a cable company.