Thai Road Rage: BMW driver claims he was in the right - what do you think?

webfact

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

would suggest it was a tarted up old pick-up driven by a boy racer, witness the speed he was doing compared to other traffic. 

Careful with this. Dash cams always make it look like you're going faster than you actually are. 

But the bottom line is still the behaviour of the BMW driver, both during his first manoeuvre and subsequent one. What a tool.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

A Thai driver gave me the finger yesterday. Obliviously another idiot? I was merging into a stationary U turn lane when he decided there was enough room to squeeze by thus leaving me out to dry. I inched forward a then he inched forward. Eventual to break the stalemate I opened my drivers door thus impeding his forward progress. he honked his horn so i opened the door wider.  So when the traffic started i merged as planned. he then decided he didn't want to U turn after all and passed me giving me the finger. 

Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm!

Good job! I'm glad he didn't come after you with a 2-3 foot long blade as MANY thais do...stay safe and good luck in the LOS.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

A Thai driver gave me the finger yesterday. Obliviously another idiot? I was merging into a stationary U turn lane when he decided there was enough room to squeeze by thus leaving me out to dry. I inched forward a then he inched forward. Eventual to break the stalemate I opened my drivers door thus impeding his forward progress. he honked his horn so i opened the door wider.  So when the traffic started i merged as planned. he then decided he didn't want to U turn after all and passed me giving me the finger. 

Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm!

I would suggest that you invest in a bullet proof vest.

Just in case....

Rooster

There is absolutely no question that the BMW idiot is at fault. Not that he'd see it the same way, because like so many "big car" owners he appears to be a self-entitled pr**k who can do no wrong. Book him, suspend his license for six months, slap him with a hefty fine and even charge him with illegally blocking a traffic lane and verbally abusing another motorist. I know, it's not going to happen, but it really should.

BMW X1 = big car owner?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The BMW driver comes out of the side street making a very long turn. His turn is so long he finishes half way into the third (outside) lane. Aside from this, he probably did not look. He then proceeds to block the outside lane with totally no consideration for other road users.

Most Thai drivers sit far too close to the steering wheel. This makes it very difficult to make a tight turn. That's why 3 lanes are needed to make a left hand turn.

There are 2 cars coming out of the soi almost simultaneously. A white car on the BMW's left turns correctly into the far left lane as the BMW shoots to the middle lane and overshoots half way to lane 3. There is a 3rd car travelling on the main road in the far left lane, which turns into a second soi just before the main soi. 

Presumably, the BMW is trying to get in front of the white car by manufacturing a second turn lane in the same Soi. He is also blocking the white car's view of the main road. Worse things could have happened.  Very bad driving.

23 minutes ago, Nielsen said:

The BMW driver comes out of the side street making a very long turn. His turn is so long he finishes half way into the third (outside) lane. Aside from this, he probably did not look. He then proceeds to block the outside lane with totally no consideration for other road users.

Most Thai drivers sit far too close to the steering wheel. This makes it very difficult to make a tight turn. That's why 3 lanes are needed to make a left hand turn.

recently I was driving past a tesco, the one at on nut, and a man on a motorbike with a kid riding pillion, neither wore a helmet, came speeding into the traffic with right of way. he almost side swiped me and i tooted my horn as warning that he was getting close. He followed me down the red lights and rapped on my window. at first he was super aggressive until he noticed that i was just coming form my mma class and was still wearing my rashguard and and was accompanied by my cauliflower ear comrade. I am 6ft 3 200 lbs and my comrade is similar. his demaeanour shifted from I am going to hurt you to 'be careful i have a kid'. I pointed out that i had 3 kids in the back seat all wearing seatbelts so that they wouldnt die if idiots hit them. he didnt know what to say and just told his kid in thai "nevermind the farang doesnt understand"....the thai male ego is so fragile one wonders why they keep whipping it out.....

25 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

BMW drivers are the same the world over "A-Holes" except in Germany. In Germany, a BMW is a normal car. I am from the UK before anyone starts. Audi owners are not far behind BMW owners either. 

Haha. Agree, except that Audi owners are the worst by miles. Also a Brit and used to own a rather fast sports car. It was always the Audis that wanted to race me, less so the Beemers.

Never the Mercs - too much class (and age) amongst Merc drivers in the UK - doesn't apply here of course, though now I'm a sedate SUV owner so it's not an issue.

And how can the BMW driver be in the wrong? This is normal Thai driving.

Seriously. Thai lane darting is probably within the top 1-2 idiotic most dangerous things Thai do. Leave a soi and dart straight across to the middle or far lane. I see this at least once a day getting my daughter from school at a particular road on the other side near a school called Varee. 

As usual an absolute peanut brain thinking he is in the right just to save 'face'. 

That turn is the sort of thing you expect to see from someone in the early stages of driving lessons. He nearly went two full lanes over of where he should have been - which was the far left lane. 

So he decides to stop his car in the far right lane to argue.....he doesn’t have the right to stop in a continuous lane and he doesn’t even use his emergency blinkers.... this guy doesn’t know the rules of the road....

you never enter from a side road and go straight to the middle lane... you enter into the far left lane to merge when safe and enter to the speed of the traffic...and if you want to go to the middle lane, you do so the speed of the traffic and merge only when safe....

he basically cut this guy off trying to get to the far right lane....100% fault 

very common driving error I observe all the time here....thinking I want to go there w/o going thru safety protocol on how to get there in a safe driving manner  

3 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Mr BMW could do with some retraining in how to be a beautiful, caring, Buddhist Thai. 

How can he be re-trained when he is just <deleted> anyway?

You can't merge across three lanes of traffic, one lane at a time Somchai, you numnuts! No Blinker, and trying to beat the white car in front of him, that white car did enter the proper lane first, then merged over one lane at a time properly. This happens daily here, its called no training, and entitlement syndrome, I wish he pulled me over, I would have knocked him out cold and threw his keys into the woods, he could hunt for them when he woke back up.

44 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

And how can the BMW driver be in the wrong? This is normal Thai driving.

Seriously. Thai lane darting is probably within the top 1-2 idiotic most dangerous things Thai do. Leave a soi and dart straight across to the middle or far lane. I see this at least once a day getting my daughter from school at a particular road on the other side near a school called Varee. 

I see it daily too, and also wish an aggressive driver like this would pull me over, God how I wish!!!  LOL

I've always wondered....why is it so painfully difficult for people to turn (properly) into the (close) lane without taking 1/2 of the next lane or 1.5 in this case? It doesn't even appear from simply cutting the corner too short, just plain unable to turn the wheel the another round it seems.

I got these 2 big intersections on my way home and for the life of mine I need to make sure I am either far ahead or decently far behind the car to my right hand side as I have no idea just how far they need to push me off my lane.

Archived