Thai Road Rage: BMW driver claims he was in the right - what do you think?

webfact

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

In Thailand they tend to prefer machetes but plenty of guns are used as well!  Don't need to go to the US for bullies and brain dead morons, there are plenty of home grown ones in the land of smiles. 

Well said and agreed 100%. I though maybe the change in scenery might get their attention...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long, the rich big car drivers are not equal, and the law is not enforced against them, nothing will change.

I would recommend to confiscate his driving license for at least one year and after that send him to Mental psychological evaluation as in Germany. People like this, should not drive cars at all.

Thailand copy so many European thing, why not copy some of the strong traffic law enforcement as Germany or Swiss????

I thought the PM wanted to crack down this?

Lucky this didn't end up as a road rage shooting incident. I would see no point in trying to engage in any type of dialogue with people who are obviously not rationale and looking for confrontation.  Maybe wrong but I would not have stopped and wound down the window to talk to the other driver when he pulled alongside in the first instance, thus blocking two lanes of traffic and potentially causing a multiple vehicle pile up. Once the yellow shirted driver had got out of his car, there was an opportunity to reverse out and drive on, which I would have taken without saying anything or showing any expression at all.

In defensive driving courses, as taught to diplomats etc, they teach you among other things to suppress all anger towards idiots on the road and, avoid escalating bad situations and always get away whenever possible.

6 hours ago, seajae said:

bmw failed to give right of way  and came out way too far to turn, he is totally at fault, I had exactly the same thing done to me, hit the horn as I barely missed hoim then he chased me and while I was turning into to get fuel cut across the front of me and I almost t boned him, He didnt move till I got out of my car and bashed his side window and said a few choice words, he realized I was bigger than him and pretty pi**ed off & he took off, Unfortunately many thais cant handle loss of face by being in the wrong so have to try to show how big their dicks are, tends to fall flat when they come up against someone that is more than ready to sort them out

Quite so, but the problem arises when he comes back with six 'brothers' and smashes your car up. And that's the better scenario - he could just as easily pull a gun and shoot you dead.  

6 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well there are a variety of issues here.  Firstly the BMW exited the soi, not into the nearside lane and then increased his speed which would then allow a safe filter across the other lanes, rather he drove straight out,with poor car control to actually swerve slightly back to the middle lane. He was in the main the poor driver.

However, secondly, the vehicle with the cam sounds like an old tractor so judging by the stupid selection of dials stuck on the dashboard it would suggest it was a tarted up old pick-up driven by a boy racer, witness the speed he was doing compared to other traffic. So whilst the BMW I would apportion 60% of the fault to the other 40% must lie with the other driver for driving to fast and not paying sufficient attention as he should have seen the exiting BMW sooner to allow him to take a smoother line of avoidance.

Punishment should be a Wai and give the local Monk a few baht for the BMW driver and for the pick-up driver, confiscate his pick-up until he fits a legal exhaust. Next case.  ????

Glad you are not Police or a Judge. The law states that you 'must' give way to oncoming traffic when exiting a side road. It does not say 'except if you are travelling faster than adjacent traffic' or ' you are going faster than tbe speed limit for the road'. It was the BMW who should be aware of oncoming traffic and wait and take the furthest left lane and not the centre or right hand lane. You need to study the rules of the road and redo your test, as you would be a danger on the road witb your 60% / 40% in such a clear case of dangerous driving, blocking traffic, cutailing and abusing another road driver. Disgraceful.

3 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

As long, the rich big car drivers are not equal, and the law is not enforced against them, nothing will change.

I would recommend to confiscate his driving license for at least one year and after that send him to Mental psychological evaluation as in Germany. People like this, should not drive cars at all.

Thailand copy so many European thing, why not copy some of the strong traffic law enforcement as Germany or Swiss????

I thought the PM wanted to crack down this?

In all probability he does not have a license to confiscate

This is a no brainer!

The problem here is you got a driver regardless of what he is driving now think he is still on a motorbike!  Just come out and hope someone else looks after him. 

This video is what is wrong with many drivers in Thailand they can't understand and the police and media can't seem to understand " it is slow down stop and safely proceed into the main road "  then the proper execution of a left turn is if you start on the left you finish closes to the left. I wish it was an 18 wheel that he encounter!

The <deleted> in the BMW is clearly correct, he is doing everything correctly- He wears a yellow shirt, drives an expensive car and is obviously much cleverer and richer than the other driver, absolutely not his fault at all, he is  ENTITLED to drive as he pleases, until hopefully one day he does the same stunt in front of an 18 wheeler with bad brakes or he pulls up another driver with a short fuse and a loaded 45!

Everytime I see this idiots, on an almost daily basis,

it reminds me of the 1950 cartoon of Goofy, called "Motormania"!

Goofy actually made his entrance to the comic with this one!

After that, they made a lot short movies with Goofy, titled "how to"

fish, how to hunt, and so on, but the first one made him famous.

Check it out, it`s like a How to do in "Thai Trafic"    

Happen every day in the land of no drivers licence.

They will never learn!!!   

1.                             Take it easy out there!!!    Greetings!!   

7 hours ago, seajae said:

bmw failed to give right of way  and came out way too far to turn, he is totally at fault, I had exactly the same thing done to me, hit the horn as I barely missed hoim then he chased me and while I was turning into to get fuel cut across the front of me and I almost t boned him, He didnt move till I got out of my car and bashed his side window and said a few choice words, he realized I was bigger than him and pretty pi**ed off & he took off, Unfortunately many thais cant handle loss of face by being in the wrong so have to try to show how big their dicks are, tends to fall flat when they come up against someone that is more than ready to sort them out

On any given drive for me between rural Lamphun and Chiang Mai on Highway 11 I'll see multiple instance of driving just like this.  Honestly, think:  1/3 of Thai don't have a driver's license.  Of the other 2/3rds, probably less than 5% actually understand Thailand road law.  Virtually no one in Thailand, cops included, seem to understand 'right-of-way' laws judging my their driving behavior.
All driving here is like a surreal ballet of near misses due to utter stupidity and moronic driving.  Call someone on their stupidity, especially someone driving an upscale vehicle, and suddenly we have "road-rage."  
Thank God this isn't Arizona.  There'd be dead bodies with bullet holes stacked up like cord wood along the road.  It's good that Thailand comes down hard on those who carry guns.  Although - if you're driving a Benz or BMW???  ????

1 hour ago, crickets said:

Entitled Hi-So Thai. You could argue until you are blue in the face with some Thais about road rules but you can never win even with an idiot.

I had one who hit me and said he wanted to go to the police to sort it out, even after showing him the dashcam and myself, my wife, and the insurance guy explaining that he can't do what this guy did. Same situation, except the guy ran out across the lanes right into my left rear passenger door, he was adamant that he was right, refused to accept he was stupid. I even got the "he is a farang, he is a farang" like I am automatically in the wrong, yet he refused to show his license or his insurance to my Insurance guy. I however was fully licensed and have first-class insurance, when we got to the police station we couldn't find him, I eventually found him and his buddy hiding around the corner of the building.....I walked right up to him and brought him into the police officer, and showed the dashcam footage, and the officer who told him he can't merge like that, DUH!!!!!

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

There is absolutely no question that the BMW idiot is at fault. Not that he'd see it the same way, because like so many "big car" owners he appears to be a self-entitled pr**k who can do no wrong. Book him, suspend his license for six months, slap him with a hefty fine and even charge him with illegally blocking a traffic lane and verbally abusing another motorist. I know, it's not going to happen, but it really should.

Agree in most you say, BUT it could help if Mr right had kept the speed limit as he passed every car on his way something that made his maneuverability more challenging ...

We may assume that the unnecessary honking trigged the road rage (light) as it does everywhere nowadays ... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, alzack said:

Never but never toot your horn to a Thai driver, seen it many times it is a loss of face to them, always can end badly that's Thailand

I blare my horn all the time, I want them to be shamed and lose face, in fact I have been known to lay on the horn for quite awhile when someone is so greedy they block an intersection.

Strange all these falang saying that Thais drive like this all the time. Only once in 10 years has a Thai pulled straight out in front of me in a way that I would say was dangerous and caused me to emergency brake and that was only a couple of months ago as it happens). Yes quite a few pull out discourteously causing one to brake or pass around but only the once in the dangerous fashion portrayed here.

Why am i so lucky? I promise you i am not a complete apologist for Thai drivers generally but I do think the critics go way over the top. As I've said in comments a few times before on ThaiV "you should see some other countries (Turkey, Iran, India in my experience) if you want to see $hit driving.

Now the motorcycles - that's a different story. Less than 30 yo = flying suicide packages.

4 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Strange all these falang saying that Thais drive like this all the time. Only once in 10 years has a Thai pulled straight out in front of me in a way that I would say was dangerous and caused me to emergency brake and that was only a couple of months ago as it happens). Yes quite a few pull out discourteously causing one to brake or pass around but only the once in the dangerous fashion portrayed here.

Why am i so lucky? I promise you i am not a complete apologist for Thai drivers generally but I do think the critics go way over the top. As I've said in comments a few times before on ThaiV "you should see some other countries (Turkey, Iran, India in my experience) if you want to see $hit driving.

Now the motorcycles - that's a different story. Less than 30 yo = flying suicide packages.

You either live nowhere near Bangkok, or your lying thru your teeth, I see this same stunt multiple times EVERY DAY here.

12 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Yes - during my 12 years driving a car in Thailand it has not happened often, but I have learned that it is all about to read the traffic carefully and expect the impossible to happen meaning never take anything for granted something we often do in the west where the majority follow the basic traffic rules... :thumbsup:

In a country with a functioning police department, the BMW idiot would have been swiftly taken care of by calling the police to the scene using an emergency number.  This is not the case in this topsy-turvy world.

Archived