Khon Kaen: BMW man threatens action after dealership puts his red plate on another car

webfact

BMW man threatens action after dealership puts his red plate on another car

4pm.jpg

Caption: Red plate removed

An owner of a new BMW has complained after he spotted his red plate on another vehicle of the same make. 

Phiphak Netrasai had bought his BMW in Bangkok and had put it in for some minor repairs at a dealership in Khon Kaen. 

Then he saw his own red plate on another BMW in the north eastern Thai city. 

He was initially told by the dealership that his plate had been lost along with a registration booklet.

Later calls to the dealership elicited an apology as a person who claimed to be a manager said it was done by a female staffer who had been reprimanded. He couldn't say why - it was being looked into. 

Phiphak told them he wanted his car taken to Bangkok for repair as he couldn't trust them.

He said this was not a small matter. Police said that if the car with the new plate was involved in an accident or drugs deals he could wind up in a lot of trouble himself. 

He said he would go to the police if the matter is not resolved quickly. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-22

3 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Right;

but a Bangkok dealer ( Phiphak Netrasai had bought his BMW in Bangkok  )  not one from Khon Kaen .

and a Red Plate can't be driven at night , nor out of the designated original Province?

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

and a Red Plate can't be driven at night

right and we can see many red plates in the night all over Thailand...

nor out of the designated original Province? "

I heard about that but I'm not sure if it's exact .

55 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

We do a lot of traveling and have never had a problem driving outside of our province with a red plate.....as long as the entries are properly made in the book that comes with the plate. As far as driving at night......in most areas, the RTP doesn't seem to work at night so it has never been a problem.

1 hour ago, Retfed50 said:

As far as driving at night......in most areas, the RTP doesn't seem to work at night so it has never been a problem.

Until, knock on wood, you have an accident and then the police looks at your plate and the insurance doesn't pay.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:28 PM, Assurancetourix said:

Correct on both points but you get a registration book with the red plates and if you plan to travel outside the provence of registration, you simply fill in the log in the registration book.

On 5/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, Retfed50 said:

We do a lot of traveling and have never had a problem driving outside of our province with a red plate.....as long as the entries are properly made in the book that comes with the plate. As far as driving at night......in most areas, the RTP doesn't seem to work at night so it has never been a problem.

Not entirely correct. A red plate car cannot be taken out of the province without permission from the DLT. So prior to leaving the province you would need to ask for permission from the DLT. After gaining permission, the DLT will stamp your one entry of leaving the province. Except for plates from Bangkok. Those do not need permission from the DLT to travel outside Bangkok. However, this rule is rarely enforced.

18 hours ago, JoeW said:

Not entirely correct. A red plate car cannot be taken out of the province without permission from the DLT. So prior to leaving the province you would need to ask for permission from the DLT. After gaining permission, the DLT will stamp your one entry of leaving the province. Except for plates from Bangkok. Those do not need permission from the DLT to travel outside Bangkok. However, this rule is rarely enforced.

That's the way it had always been here. You go to the DLT office to get permission and the fill in the details in the book. Up until a couple of years ago that is. My wife went in to get permission to leave the province and was told we didn't need to do that. Just fill in the book. So that's what we do and have never had a problem, knock on wood.

Archived