Dirty water we have to pay for in rural Isaan

Dario

On 5/23/2019 at 7:23 PM, Lacessit said:

Sorry, the clearish white crystals are water softeners. They exchange calcium and magnesium ions for sodium i.e. remove water hardness.

Flocculation is achieved by either adding bentonite clay or adjusting pH. Or both.

Oxidising iron from the ferrous to the ferric state will not change its solubility.

Let me gently suggest you are not a professional chemist.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282273785_A_review_of_removal_iron_and_manganese_by_using_cascade_aeration_systems

There are some very helpful replies in this thread, you just seen like an old miserable troll. 

Correct though. I am not a professional Chemist and from your omissions I gently suggest that you are not either. Happy trolling. 

Shaemus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Here in Thailand we have no idea about saving water, no gutters so it just runs off the roof.

I have no idea where you are looking, every one in our villages saves rainwater. The not having gutters is usually either a foreign builder fashion thing, cost of installation or that full gutters just aren't needed to fill the water tanks. 

Few people save enough water for the full dry season as it just isn't cost effective. Start putting up the price of water on Samui and you will see more water storage going in.

9 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

How funny. If you really want to see how a water tank should be  just GOOGLE   " Poly Water tanks Queensland"  i had two 25,000 ltr ones. What total do these hold  .  Here in Thailand we have no idea about saving water, no gutters so it just runs off the roof. And then here on Samui there is a water shortage every year. How stupid !

The problem with such a large tank is that the water inside weighs 25 tons, and I am not sure of the size. I doubt that they are available in Thailand.

My 20 connected ongs hold about 30,000 litres and the 7 freestanding hold another 10,000 litres.

I have 2 x 3,000 litre stainless steel fresh water tanks which we use for drinking water only and they are fed by the roof gutters.

Many people out here in rural Khampaeng Phet do the same as we do.

If I ever win the lottery I plan to get a water tank 10 x 4 x 2 metres deep dug out of the ground and lined with concrete and concrete slabs on top that will hold about 80,000 litres.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:33 PM, billd766 said:

Fortunately for me I am now too old and fat to climb into the ongs but I have to get my wife to find a body to do the job. Normally I run the tanks in a row down, then undo the plug at the bottom to drain the rest of the water out.

It is possible to scrub most of the tank by standing on a stool with a stiff yard brush and flush it clear. Then I chuck 1 litre of Thai white vinegar in the ong and fill it up. Be careful not to leave them dry too long as the may crack or blow open.

I fill each row from the top and to shut off the water flow I use ordinary ball cocke from a toilet.

Unfortunately with my ong farm I cannot lay any on their sides to clean them 

Try to leave at least 1 metre clear around the tanks so that you can access them from all sides. I only left about 60 cm and it is difficult at times. Figure that a 1,700 litre ong weighs close on 2 tons when it is full and you need a good solid base for them to stand on. My base is OK but in retrospect I should have made the base 10 metres wide and 12 metres long with the base being about 10 to 15 cm of concrete and rebar mesh. I also forgot to put a drainage runaway around the base.

Figure about 15 to 30 minutes per ong and try to start early in the morning before it starts to get hot.

We get somebody to clean the gutters and the downpipe about this time of year and as you say let 3 or 4 days of heavy rain pass before draining into the tanks.

Re: cleaning inside, was referring to the large plastic tanks I bought, not the big, concrete Ongs; we had 6 (like yours), for rain water.   Interestingly, I never saw any algae growth inside, just minor surface floatees, geckos, sometimes the big mot daeng would congregate under the tin lids for a while, then move on eventually.  I liked the Ongs, pretty cool. :thumbsup: 

I'm also struggling with dirty water, but from a bore (no town water where I'm located). The weird thing is that it only happens in wet season, during the dry the water is perfectly clear.

Now considering installing a filter(s) but would appreciate any thoughts on why it only happens in the wet season.

Thanks in advance. 

1 minute ago, vincent13 said:

I'm also struggling with dirty water, but from a bore (no town water where I'm located). The weird thing is that it only happens in wet season, during the dry the water is perfectly clear.

Now considering installing a filter(s) but would appreciate any thoughts on why it only happens in the wet season.

Thanks in advance. 

Mine does that too - but not always (during rainy season).  Chances are you are at the shallow side of the underground water source (my bore is only about 15m) and it's just sediment that gets kicked up when the rains replenish the aquifers.  It will settle by itself if you can leave it a few days.

Archived