Now it's "Rot Tit" on the sidewalk! Motorcycles - even police - adding to Bangkok pedestrian woes

webfact

Now it's "Rot Tit" on the sidewalk! Motorcycles - even police - adding to Bangkok pedestrian woes

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News laid into motorcyclists for brazenly flouting the law after a picture on the site of JS 100 Radio showed a traffic jam (rot tit) of bikes on the sidewalk at Lat Prao Soi 101. 

Pedestrians could not get through as the motorcycles crowded the walkways, they said. 

Daily News slammed the riders for their "couldn't care less" attitude saying that the law is toothless. 

They said that netizens responded to the pictures by saying that vendors had been cleared from the capitals pavements only for motorcycles to increasingly take over and bring more headaches to pedestrians. 

Some even said that police were often seen riding on the sidewalks of Bangkok as well as going the wrong way against traffic. 

Thaivisa notes that riding on the footpath in the capital has been going on since the invention of the motorcycle.Efforts to rein in the riders - including a rat on your neighbor campaign - have proved ineffectual. 

Most pedestrians in Bangkok know that they have to watch out for bikes both on and off the road.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-22

This is business as usual in Vietnam, and no one cares or even has a on the books for it.

8pm.jpg.1c342d75703875957f47e5d984c62994.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Daily News laid into motorcyclists for brazenly flouting the law after a picture on the site of JS 100 Radio showed a traffic jam (rot tit) of bikes on the sidewalk at Lat Prao Soi 101. 

Pedestrians could not get through as the motorcycles crowded the walkways, they said. 

Daily News slammed the riders for their "couldn't care less" attitude saying that the law is toothless. 

They said that netizens responded to the pictures by saying that vendors had been cleared from the capitals pavements only for motorcycles to increasingly take over and bring more headaches to pedestrians. 

Some even said that police were often seen riding on the sidewalks of Bangkok as well as going the wrong way against traffic. 

Thaivisa notes that riding on the footpath in the capital has been going on since the invention of the motorcycle.Efforts to rein in the riders - including a rat on your neighbor campaign - have proved ineffectual. 

Most pedestrians in Bangkok know that they have to watch out for bikes both on and off the road.

Source: Daily News

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc -- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-22 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did they just figure this out? This has been going on forever.

If the so called police would enforce the law it would stop. Start fining people in these areas and make it a big fine like 1000 baht.

This is a dangerous situation. I can't tell you how many times I was almost run down by a bike on the sidewalk.

I'm glad to be out of that crazy town since I moved to Pattaya. Still crazy but not many bikes on the sidewalk.

I don't understand why if the problem is so serious that simple offset steel tubes that only  accommodate pedestrians are not placed at the  usual points of entry which  is usually intersections  or  vehicle access points. No so many  would  be willing to  jump the kerb to  get onto  the footpath.

Greetings, 
We're talking about Thailand, not Vietnam!
I was sharing an informative anecdote. Some people are gifited with the skill to handle mutiple subjects of a related theme, in the same conversation. Please excuse me if this is not a trait you have.

anecdote noun
an·​ec·​dote | \ ˈa-nik-ˌdōt \
plural anecdotes also anecdota\ ˌa-​nik-​ˈdō-​tə \
Definition of anecdote
: a usually short narrative of an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Instead of fighting against, why not find solutions for motorbikes stuck in traffic jams. Dedicated motorbike lanes (anyway will be blocked by cars), motorbikes allowed on overpasses, ... Having more bikes and less cars could actually ease traffic. Why no effort to make more motorbike friendly traffic?

23 minutes ago, Mak25 said:

Instead of fighting against, why not find solutions for motorbikes stuck in traffic jams. Dedicated motorbike lanes (anyway will be blocked by cars), motorbikes allowed on overpasses, ... Having more bikes and less cars could actually ease traffic. Why no effort to make more motorbike friendly traffic?

Essentially motorcycles are allowed to go virtually anywhere except on the expressway and toll way these days. It's been going on for years now without the police doing much. Bikes also go through red lights and travel on the sidewalks with impunity. We also pay only 105 baht in annual road tax. 

As a bike rider in Krung Thep I must say it is marvelous. 

Rooster ????

If only the so called car drivers were able to drive in a straight line for a minute or so bikes would be able to filter through ! They constantly change/ block lanes with their cars so what choice do the bikers have ?! 

Absolutely no respect for anyone on the roads, it’s like being in the sea only the big fish is by far more clever than these useless savages with money  but without a sense of responsibility and consideration towards other motorists????????‍♂️

When I am walking on the sidewalks in BKK and these clueless motorbike drivers are coming towards me ( or behind me) I yell out “my-dee” (bad) and yell out “ting-tong” pointing to the soi because I am soooo angry. My Thai friends tell me not to say this because some day a hot head driver will stop and kill me. Their warning is probably correct, so I now keep my mouth shut. You can’t fix stupid or change the culture of disrespecting rules. 

Archived