French minister warns of 'toxic' Nigel Farage poll win, urges speedy Brexit

webfact

French minister warns of 'toxic' Nigel Farage poll win, urges speedy Brexit

2019-05-21T155017Z_1_LYNXNPEF4K1IU_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-FRANCE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage gestures as he arrives to attend a Brexit Party campaign event in Newcastle, Britain, May 20, 2019. REUTERS/Scott Heppell/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - Victory for veteran British anti-EU campaigner Nigel Farage in this week's European Parliament election will create a big headache for the European Union and the UK should exit the bloc as soon as possible, France's finance minister said on Tuesday.

Opinion polls put Farage's newly created Brexit Party well ahead of its rivals, including Prime Minister Theresa May's governing Conservatives and the main opposition Labour Party, in the countdown to the vote, which in Britain is held on May 23.

"When you have Nigel Farage at more than 35 percent of the vote that won't be easy for the European Union to manage," Bruno Le Maire said. "How long do we continue like that?"

France has previously warned that it would not tolerate repeated extensions of the Brexit deadline and has said it hopes the European Parliament vote in Britain will jolt its political parties into reaching a deal on leaving the EU.

"I consider that the British people decided to leave the European Union and the faster Britain leaves the better," Le Maire told reporters.

Almost three years after Britain voted to leave the EU, the Brexit process is so bogged down that its scheduled departure date has been pushed back to Oct. 31, meaning it is obliged to take part in the European Parliament elections this week.

"The longer this process lasts ... is neither good for Britain nor the European Union. When you push back endlessly it's toxic and that's what's going to happen," he said, echoing comments by French President Emmanuel Macron.

Last month, France pushed for a short extension of the Brexit negotiations, arguing that pressure should be kept on London, but Germany favoured a longer period. In the end EU leaders agreed a six-month delay till Oct. 31.

"When a separation lasts too long it stops each member of the couple from calmly rebuilding their life. It's exactly the same for nations," Le Maire said.

(Reporting by John Irish; editing by Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-22

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Farage talked about this in the European Parliament: he said that if Brexit is delayed the British public will be so incensed that they will return Farage and, if the Euro ministers wanted to avoid this, they could do so very simply by refusing an extension and forcing a hard Brexit.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm missing something here.

So France did not agree to the extension?  How did it pass within the eu?  Presumably it was a majority vote?

Assuming France did not agree subject to France’s conditions on the extension being accepted.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Quite.  It's all about their financial interests.

It's shocking that so many are oblivious to this IMO ☹️.

I’ll agree with that but who’s financial interests?

My guess those of the tax shy Billionaires, Multimillionaires and Hedge Fund managers who bank rolled Brexit.

I love it. 

Here comes, in effect, the Second Referendum all the Remainer dimwits have been calling for.  What will they do when the Brexit forces win (yet again) with an even more decisive percentage margin?

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So France did not agree to the extension?  How did it pass within the eu?  Presumably it was a majority vote?

Only the German vote counts, and they need help with funding the EU.

3 minutes ago, blazes said:

I love it. 

Here comes, in effect, the Second Referendum all the Remainer dimwits have been calling for.  What will they do when the Brexit forces win (yet again) with an even more decisive percentage margin?

They'll demand another vote, same as always.

19 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Assuming France did not agree subject to France’s conditions on the extension being accepted.

So I can assume that none of us know how the eu agreed to the extension - bearing in mind that french politicians made it very clear that they would not support an extension???

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

The odious little turd hates Europe but cannot wait to get in there and collect his salary.

Worth every penny. If the beggars won't let us leave, we'll destroy the whole rotten edifice from within. 

No wonder those Brussels a++holes are twitching!

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

The odious little turd hates Europe but cannot wait to get in there and collect his salary.

Absolutely, no scruples with him, he will take money from any source for his personal benefit.   His dubious relationship and funding by Aaron Banks is odious too. Still, Farage's pal and and his other big pal Trump appear to have a lot in common when it comes to Russian interests.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arron-banks-profile-the-brexiteer-his-russian-wife-and-their-family-runabout-mi5-spy-nj00skhjk

One thing is for sure. Nobody wants farage in the EU parliament. His insults are unforgotten. In the European Parliament, an attempt is being made to work constructively on win-win solutions. There is Farage as an only destroyer out of place. From farage never came a constructive suggestion. His interest is only to destroy the EU.

I'm sure there will be no extension after October. When it comes to Farage there will only be a separation in dispute.

The formally good relations between the UK and the EU will, thanks to this hater, be in the Trash bin. 

The UK is on the path of extreme nationalism. Let's see how long this will work, when the economic conditions deteriorate. The whole thing now has features of the end of Weimar time.

And if the UK no longer shares the EU's goals: Peace and common prosperity for all in europe, then the UK should leave as soon as possible.

35 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree entirely.

Both the uk and eu govts. have been way too complacent when it comes to their electorate.....

Ah, you refer to the people that they lie to constantly, and disregard entirely, except at election time?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Only the German vote counts, and they need help with funding the EU.

I see your paronia rears its head again..ze war is over tommy did you not learn history at school.

2 hours ago, Topdoc said:

FAKE NEWS HEADLINE

The French minister did not warn about 'toxic' Nigel Farage, he simply said "when you push back endlessly it's toxic"
Reuters twisted headline again....

Nothing unusual for Reuters!

53 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Absolutely, no scruples with him, he will take money from any source for his personal benefit.   His dubious relationship and funding by Aaron Banks is odious too. Still, Farage's pal and and his other big pal Trump appear to have a lot in common when it comes to Russian interests.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arron-banks-profile-the-brexiteer-his-russian-wife-and-their-family-runabout-mi5-spy-nj00skhjk

At least trump made the big time.nigelcannot even get elected into the sovereign UK parliament

59 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Worth every penny. If the beggars won't let us leave, we'll destroy the whole rotten edifice from within. 

And replace it with what exactly?

53 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Interesting that Bank's business deals are described as less than transparent but he has deep connections with Russia.

Farage allegedly received GBP 450,000 from him. For what exactly.

Now which country in Europe would benefit from a weakened EU and a weakened UK, the latter possibly becoming militarily incapable under a very left wing future government and facing a real possibility of breaking up?

Any guesses? Clue: Vlad likes the vodka!

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Twitching i doubt...fed up with a former has been super power still thinking it has clout in the world is about all...a handful of meaningless trade deals not worth the paper they were written on in 3 years tells its own story...a piece of cake and win win win was the lies the bulldogs believed...l see british steel and 5000 jobs are ready to go i  scunthorpe a brexit town....how ironic,at least the tatty picking and turkey plucking jobs are near by,turkeys plucking turkeys how ironic

Archived