French minister warns of 'toxic' Nigel Farage poll win, urges speedy Brexit

webfact

sorry for the British Steel guys, did my apprenticeship with British Steel. whatever all of you post it doesn't matter, the energy cost in the UK is too high to run a steelworks and that's why when I was in the industry they had their own power stations, they still have small one's run off CO gas from blast furnaces. it's easy to pump out medium grade slab like China does but I was in a full finish cold mill and it's expensive and slow to produce steel as if you even have a scratch on a finishing roll it would show up. we shouldn't have shown the rest of the world how to make high quality steel.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Just as well we didn't sell Tower Bridge and Castle to join the European Union, as it wouldn't have been money well spent.

Far from helping the UK economy bounce back from the lean years of the Sixties and early Seventies, our economic performance measured by GDP actually grew more slowly after we joined the EU in January, 1973.

Prime Minister Edward Heath's timing could hardly have been worse, as his decision to take us in coincided with a slow-down in the "catching-up process" which had fuelled rapid economic expansion across the Continent.

"The UK thus joined on a false prospectus that accession would accelerate growth", according to analysts Graham Gudgin and Ken Coutts, of the think tank Social Europe.

After examining the economic factors which combined to produce the Brexit referendum result, they conclude: "If the performance of the EU had been better, and the Commonwealth worse, the UK may have felt less temptation to leave, but this was not the case."

The unfair distribution of incomes in the UK has risen sharply, a few who have already a lot are getting a lot more, and many are only getting crumbs.

To blame the EU for this is propaganda nonsense. Other EU countries have better managed the distribution of the cake within their countries. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-03-01/u-k-inequality-is-deeper-than-you-think

28 minutes ago, Chazar said:

But he won his  vote by a huge margin.

Welcome to the Forum.

If you quote someone then as unabridged.

Please do not tear individual words out of the overall context. 

The EU elections have not yet taken place

or are you talking about opinion polls?

9 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Believe me, I'm wide awake to the dangers of control by the wealthy elite.

In the wake of Brexit will wil be able to hold their political lackeys accountable as a sovereign, independent nation in a way we cannot while a colony of the EU.

How you hold ur own political UK lackeys accountable we can see since 3 Years.

ingeniously.         -     next to it.

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Just as well we didn't sell Tower Bridge and Castle to join the European Union, as it wouldn't have been money well spent.

Far from helping the UK economy bounce back from the lean years of the Sixties and early Seventies, our economic performance measured by GDP actually grew more slowly after we joined the EU in January, 1973.

Prime Minister Edward Heath's timing could hardly have been worse, as his decision to take us in coincided with a slow-down in the "catching-up process" which had fuelled rapid economic expansion across the Continent.

"The UK thus joined on a false prospectus that accession would accelerate growth", according to analysts Graham Gudgin and Ken Coutts, of the think tank Social Europe.

After examining the economic factors which combined to produce the Brexit referendum result, they conclude: "If the performance of the EU had been better, and the Commonwealth worse, the UK may have felt less temptation to leave, but this was not the case."

i think going as far back as 1973 is pretty sad,the UK was it own worst enemy in the 70s and early 80s,the biggest problem being the unions and labour govts

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

see page 2, Abstract  https://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/centre-for-business-research/downloads/working-papers/wp014.pdf..  and  https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-has-shrunk-percentage-world-economy/

Clearly, that a developped economy cannot grow so much in % as a third world economy. 

But...  https://econ.economicshelp.org/2010/02/economy-of-1970s.html  

1976 IMF Bailout… 

In 1976, the UK needed to apply to the IMF for a bailout. This was due to high budget deficit and also concerns over the value of Sterling. Markets believed Sterling was overvalued and so kept selling. This caused the Pound to depreciate.
Britain asked the IMF for a £2.3bn bail out in 1976 saying unemployment and inflation were at exceptional levels. 

I will NEVER forget the Rowntree Macintosh factory in York, I visited around 1980 for an inspection. Still working with leather drive belts. "Oh great, you keep some in the old state, as a kind of a museum"... "We have nothing else…. " was the remark I got back...

if the pound drops any more it will be another IMF bail out,

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

We are currently being mugged off by the rich elite and their allegiances to the EU. That's why we voted out. Haven't you noticed that the rich elites are Remainers? You are the one sleep walking to the Remain tune.

Yes,Nigel garage is a proper salt of the earth diamond geezer, I mean he drinks pints

like other working class people who went to Dulwich college in sarf London.

Everything he does is for his own personal reasons and absolutely does not give a toss for

the mugs who voted for him.

He campaigns on a single issue, and has done a very good job doing so, but the millionaire

stockbroker will be completely immune to any kink in the UKs economy short  or long term.

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The unfair distribution of incomes in the UK has risen sharply, a few who have already a lot are getting a lot more, and many are only getting crumbs.

To blame the EU for this is propaganda nonsense. Other EU countries have better managed the distribution of the cake within their countries. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-03-01/u-k-inequality-is-deeper-than-you-think

I think this article refers to disposable income not total income.

Why is it 'unfair distribution'? Hasn't that always been the case in a capitalist society ? I don't necessarily disagree with you but please remember that the top 1% of earners (and I'm one of them) in the UK are paying 28% of the tax burden.

15 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I think this article refers to disposable income not total income.

Why is it 'unfair distribution'? Hasn't that always been the case in a capitalist society ? I don't necessarily disagree with you but please remember that the top 1% of earners (and I'm one of them) in the UK are paying 28% of the tax burden.

I think the top 1% are paying 28% of income tax, I'm sure vat, and various taxes on financial

and property transactions, for example, account for a fair chunk of government income.

If you really are part of the top 1% earners, then I am sure you can afford an accountant firm

to make the burden less painful.

To think a Thai visa forum member is earning more than 90% of premiership footballers

is somewhat doubtful in my mind. *

* I apologize, to be in the top 1% you only need to earn £162,000 per anum

I wrongly assumed that footballers on their crazy money would be included.

48 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Yes,Nigel garage is a proper salt of the earth diamond geezer, I mean he drinks pints

like other working class people who went to Dulwich college in sarf London.

Everything he does is for his own personal reasons and absolutely does not give a toss for

the mugs who voted for him.

He campaigns on a single issue, and has done a very good job doing so, but the millionaire

stockbroker will be completely immune to any kink in the UKs economy short  or long term.

I live in that area and I know two fellows who attended Dulwich College whose parents lived in local authority accommodation. I also knew the caretaker. Anyone who was sufficiently bright could gain a scholarship to DC. 

Do you know of anyone who went to Eton or Harrow where Boris and CMD and their chums were educated and who were from working class backgrounds. No you don't.

The fees alone prohibit Joe Bloggs from even thinking about sending his sons to such emporiums of education.

And SOUTH as in South London is spelled and pronounced as it is written. It is not spelled SARF.

8 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I live in that area and I know two fellows who attended Dulwich College whose parents lived in local authority accommodation. I also knew the caretaker. Anyone who was sufficiently bright could gain a scholarship to DC. 

Do you know anyone who went to Eton or Harrow where Boris and CMD and their chums were educated and who were from working class backgrounds. No you don't.

I went to school in Harrow!

My mother trained as a nurse at kings college in Denmark Hill

Farage is the son of a stock broker who went to prep school before going to Dulwich.

I was being sarcastic regarding his humble roots.

14 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

I think the top 1% are paying 28% of income tax, I'm sure vat, and various taxes on financial

and property transactions, for example, account for a fair chunk of government income.

If you really are part of the top 1% earners, then I am sure you can afford an accountant firm

to make the burden less painful.

To think a Thai visa forum member is earning more than 90% of premiership footballers

is somewhat doubtful in my mind.

Yes, income tax. I quoted from an article.

https://fullfact.org/economy/do-top-1-earners-pay-28-tax-burden/

And according to the IFS, I am in the top 1% of taxpayers. Obviously this does not include what I pay in additional taxes such as VAT, London charge, Petrol, ciggies (dirty habit) etc

https://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/where_do_you_fit_in

2 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

I went to school in Harrow!

My mother trained as a nurse at kings college in Denmark Hill

Farage is the son of a stock broker who went to prep school before going to Dulwich.

I was being sarcastic regarding his humble roots.

Try and keep it real if you want to be taken seriously because you did not say nor give any indication that you were being sarcastic.

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

I apologize, to be in the top 1% you only need to earn £162,000 per anum

Using the calculator provided a lot less, I entered 100k with council tax of 1k pm; result in top 1%

3 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Couldnt have put it better myself .

Or perhaps slightly better .

The odious , fake , self serving   little turd hates Europe but cannot wait to get in there and collect his salary.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Oh I'm sure you could have, I've read some of your other posts.

Yes , of course i could , but not without getting banned . The moderator is a trump maga man .

9 hours ago, bomber said:

i think going as far back as 1973 is pretty sad,the UK was it own worst enemy in the 70s and early 80s,the biggest problem being the unions and labour govts

Sad, maybe, but necessary in the context of what was being discussed, as we joined the EU in 1973.

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Absolutely agree that domestic policy has driven an ever wider gap between the haves and have-nots, but this is a separate issue from the pros and cons of EU membership, which is what I was addressing.

11 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Sorry but that's just the tip of the iceberg regarding the issues of British Steel over the last 40 years or. It's been Nationalised (failed) and privatised (failed). I'm not arguing that Brexit uncertainty isn't an issue but it's really the nail in the coffin for the company, sad as it is.

Bet the Extinction Rebellion lot are cheering.

A comment on moderation has been removed.   If you have questions about moderation, contact the moderator involved.   Do NOT post in the open forum.  

21 hours ago, bomber said:

its privately owned,and trump and brexit are factors,read up

it's not the same British Steel as i used to work for. Nothing to do with brexit, everything to do with energy costs.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:11 AM, tomacht8 said:

One thing is for sure. Nobody wants farage in the EU parliament. His insults are unforgotten. In the European Parliament, an attempt is being made to work constructively on win-win solutions. There is Farage as an only destroyer out of place. From farage never came a constructive suggestion. His interest is only to destroy the EU.

I'm sure there will be no extension after October. When it comes to Farage there will only be a separation in dispute.

The formally good relations between the UK and the EU will, thanks to this hater, be in the Trash bin. 

The UK is on the path of extreme nationalism. Let's see how long this will work, when the economic conditions deteriorate. The whole thing now has features of the end of Weimar time.

And if the UK no longer shares the EU's goals: Peace and common prosperity for all in europe, then the UK should leave as soon as possible.

The British people have no dispute with the people of Europe, it’s the E.U. They despise. Just as it seem an ever increasing number of Europeans are also turning against Brussels. Don’t agree with me,then just Waite for Sunday and the result of the E.U elections.

Archived