Advice Needed on Visa Extension Problem

I have a very specific problem and wondered what the best solution would be.

I currently have a 1 year non o extension based on marriage. This expires 4th July, at the moment I don't have enough funds in the bank or income. By the middle to end of November required funds will be in place for the 2 months. So I need to find the cheapest/best way to extend my stay until then and possibly change to a retirement visa as it's a lot easier to do than a marriage visa. I don't really want to pay an agent so I wondered if the below plan would work:

1. Fly out of Thailand just before my visa expires to anywhere.

2. Come back in on a 30 day exemption (will I need 20000 in cash for this?)

3. Before the 30 days end apply for a 90 day Non-O based on marriage at the local immigration office. (hopefully, no financials required)

4. I believe you can apply to extend up to 60 days if needed?

5. Apply for extension in November/December - can I change to retirement at this point?

If this is not correct can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks

Just now, BritManToo said:

I'd go to Suvannakhet or HCMC and buy a 90 day non o to visit my wife.

Then extend for 60 days in Thailand, to visit wife, if I needed.

Thanks, that is one of the other options I am considering. Is it easy to get the 60 day extension and would they question why I didn't extend while in Thailand?

If you got to Savannakhet you can get a 1yr Non- O if you are married and if they are still allowing them.

Documents needs

1 Original marriage cert

1 photo copy of cert

1 signed copy of wife ID

1 signed copy of Blue house book

Nothing else is needed.

Just now, ally3220 said:

Thanks, that is one of the other options I am considering. Is it easy to get the 60 day extension and would they question why I didn't extend while in Thailand?

Who can predict Thai immigration?

Why not buy a multi-entry for 5,000bht (HCMC $200), and forget about Thai immigration for 15 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

If you got to Savannakhet you can get a 1yr Non- O if you are married and if they are still allowing them.

Documents needs

1 Original marriage cert

1 photo copy of cert

1 signed copy of wife ID

1 signed copy of Blue house book

Nothing else is needed.

This is a very attractive option. How can I find out if they still do them? Anyone done this recently?

Just now, ally3220 said:

This is a very attractive option. How can I find out if they still do them? Anyone done this recently?

They always do them, if you go to HCMC you need an additional letter written in Thai from your wife.

"Please give my husband a 1 year VISA" and signed by her.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Who can predict Thai immigration?

Why not buy a multi-entry for 5,000bht (HCMC $200), and forget about Thai immigration for 15 months.

I had thought about this but having to leave every 90 days doesn't appeal to me. I live in Hua Hin and the nearest border checkpoint is about 3 or 4 hours drive I think. It could still be an option if all else fails though.

Just now, BritManToo said:

They always do them, if you go to HCMC you need an additional letter written in Thai from your wife.

"Please give my husband a 1 year VISA" and signed by her.

Excellent sounds the best option so far.

3 minutes ago, ally3220 said:

I had thought about this but having to leave every 90 days doesn't appeal to me. I live in Hua Hin and the nearest border checkpoint is about 3 or 4 hours drive I think. It could still be an option if all else fails though.

The 60 day extension would be easy to get. Your wife will need to be with you when you apply.

You could apply for the 60 day extension near the end of your current one year extension. Then go to Vientiane or Savannakhet to get as single entry non-o visa. And then apply for another 60 day extension near the end ot the 90 day entry from it if you needed more time.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 60 day extension would be easy to get. Your wife will need to be with you when you apply.

You could apply for the 60 day extension near the end of your current one year extension. Then go to Vientiane or Savannakhet to get as single entry non-o visa. And then apply for another 60 day extension near the end ot the 90 day entry from it if you needed more time.

That sounds a good option, thanks ubonjoe.

So I can get my current extension extended by 60 days without any financials? I can then go and get a new 90 day Visa at either Vientiane or Savannakhet (do they do them in HCMC? Always fancied a quick visit to Vietnam) which should take me up to the required date but I would have the option to extend by a further 60 days if required.

2 minutes ago, ally3220 said:

So I can get my current extension extended by 60 days without any financials?

No need for financial to get the 60 day extension. Wife, marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of her house book registry and ID card.

3 minutes ago, ally3220 said:

I can then go and get a new 90 day Visa at either Vientiane or Savannakhet (do they do them in HCMC? Always fancied a quick visit to Vietnam) which should take me up to the required date but I would have the option to extend by a further 60 days if required.

No problem to get the single entry non-o at all 3 locations.

The 60 day extension would allow more time if needed.

But if you do get one you will not be able to get another one until you get a new entry from a visa. Only one per entry is allowed and using a re-entry permit is not a new entry.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

No need for financial to get the 60 day extension. Wife, marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of her house book registry and ID card.

No problem to get the single entry non-o at all 3 locations.

The 60 day extension would allow more time if needed.

But if you do get one you will not be able to get another one until you get a new entry from a visa. Only one per entry is allowed and using a re-entry permit is not a new entry.

So provided I then apply for a 1 year extension before the 90 day runs out all will be good. Can I change to retirement at this point?

6 minutes ago, ally3220 said:

Can I change to retirement at this point?

You could apply for an extension based upon retirement with the non-o visa based upon marriage unless the embassy or consulate marks it as based upon marriage and you are applying at a bad immigration office that will not accept it.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for an extension based upon retirement with the non-o visa based upon marriage unless the embassy or consulate marks it as based upon marriage and you are applying at a bad immigration office that will not accept it.

Many thanks ubonjoe, you have been very helpful as always. Very much appreciated.

On a similar note, my 1 year Non O / Thai wife visa from Sawannakhet says "enter before 6th June 2019. My border run 90 days finishes 27th May. I was planning to go and do a new border run to Kanchanaburi this weekend and then go and get a new 1 year Non O in Sawannakhet end of August.

Can you please confirm this is acceptable? (Their are no planned changes with having 400K here or the insurances)

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just as a heads up for anyone else doing the 60 day extension based on marriage at Prachupkirikhan. They also required to see the original house book and ID card. We didn't have the original house book so they sent us away to get it.