An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Is this simple map enough for them?

To ease your worries I suggest that when arriving to Samui Immigration you go to the last small office on the right hand side just 10 meter before the main building. Give the guy there a purple and tell him that what remains of it afterwards is his tip. He will take your photo and print it on photo paper, make all copies needed of your bankbook and other docs, he will print out a google satellite map with your condo x-marked  and a road only map of the way to get there. He will also fill in the application form for your extension to stay and then sort the papers in the right order and make sure that nothing is missing before you take the short walk up to the immigration office.

• Like 2
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Residents that prepare templates electronically at home should note that Samui's TM7 (annual extn)  and TM8 (re-entry permit) are slightly different from the online versions therefore you will be expe

Yes thanks - was all in order and once I was inside immigration it took less time than me asking the question here for the paperwork being done. It really was unseen efficiency! Glad I got it done bef

Notable observations while renewing this year   -          Samui Specific forms: Having collected blank TM7 & TM 8 templates during my last 90 day report I was surprised to learn that th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

How ridiculous that they even demand this map at all.  But good to hear you didn't have to sit on the floor and draw it 🙂  By the way, do you know how much detail they expect?  In my case, in Koh Phangan, there is really only one road that goes from the main town (Thong Sala) all the way to my place on the north coast, which is just on a beach.  After drawing the island, the map to my home would really only require two or three lines.  And they aren't straight lines so I don't know what I would use the ruler for.   Is this simple map enough for them?

To my understanding it's the details in the area where one lives that they are interested in, like a 7-Eleven corner, or a well-known restaurant or resort, as land marks, the sois and a marking of the actual house.

Immigration or police do now and then make home visits to check that people live, where they state to live, and they use the maps for that purpose; both the Google satelite with coordinates, and the simple hand drawn map, the latter just like when having stuff delivered from HomePro, so the driver can find the address.

Don't be surprised if a couple of polite police officers visits you and wish a photo of you together with one of the police officers, in front of the house with the mandatory house number visible, and you holding your passport with the name-page visible...😉

My "hand drawn map" is very simple. In the gray square-cover I wrote my name, passport number and address. I have removed the exact marking of my house, but otherwise the below map has been accepted ever since the beginning of hand drawn maps...

Hand-drawn-map_sample.jpg.9f9316ed857b98f64a566baecfb395c9.jpg

47 minutes ago, lom said:

To ease your worries I suggest that when arriving to Samui Immigration you go to the last small office on the right hand side just 10 meter before the main building. Give the guy there a purple and tell him that what remains of it afterwards is his tip. He will take your photo and print it on photo paper, make all copies needed of your bankbook and other docs, he will print out a google satellite map with your condo x-marked  and a road only map of the way to get there. He will also fill in the application form for your extension to stay and then sort the papers in the right order and make sure that nothing is missing before you take the short walk up to the immigration office.

Sounds good.  By a purple you mean B500?   But I already have my photos and photocopies made so the main thing he could do is fill in the form and sort paper etc.  Maybe I should give him B300?

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Sounds good.  By a purple you mean B500?   But I already have my photos and photocopies made so the main thing he could do is fill in the form and sort paper etc.  Maybe I should give him B300?

It's not complicated...

Fill in the form is easy (data from passport, local address, email address).
Order of paper is exactly as the list.

All copies shall be in portrait mode, so like a book (excluding maps).

All photo copies shall be signed.

No staples.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Maybe make a living drawing maps for retirees?

Many thanks for the remark and suggestion, but no thanks; i.e. no way, because then I need a work permit...🤨

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do they insist that your bank book show a transaction on the day you apply?  (Bangkok does.) My bank letter and statement will be as of the day before.

No they don't, the day before is what I usually have.

When I did my last extension application I got the bank letter and bank book transaction on a Wednesday and went to immigration the next day just to find it closed because of a "long weekend".😒

No complaints when I got back after the weekend, I think they require the statement letter and bank book transaction to be less than a week old.

• Like 1