An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

I just did my annual renewal last week. The lady who was helping me told me that they needed photocopies of ALL of the pages of my passport, not just the relevant pages as in the past. Then she offered to do it for me and went to the machine in back and copied my whole passport. When she asked me to pay for the whole process, I wasn't the least bit bothered at not getting any change when I paid 2,000 baht for the 1,900 baht service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 7:57 AM, evadgib said:

Map: In addition to the satellite maps that have been fine for at least 7 years a hand drawn map is now required.

The hand-drawn map has been requested from me during my last about four annual extensions – almost ever since the office moved from Nathon to Maenam – it's not new. When I made one from home the second time I scanned it, so thereafter I just print a copy of the drawing, as I don't change address; that has been accepted so far.

Some kind Immigration police officers also unannounced visited me one morning, probably to check that my hand-drawn map is correct...????

Portrait photo-copy format has also been a request for ages, but Samui immigration might have been kind and accepted owl-like neck turns for viewing some copies in landscape format.

Good to remind everybody of the procedures, thank you...????

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what the latest requirements are for 90 day reporting in person? Yes, I know about the amnesty but want to avoid doing it once the amnesty ends and immigration offices will be swamped with all the people with WP and Tourist visas that have expired.  I can't do it online as it will be my first time doing it in Samui (oh the great times when travelling was allowed and easy ....) TIA

5 hours ago, huberthammer said:

Does anybody know what the latest requirements are for 90 day reporting in person? Yes, I know about the amnesty but want to avoid doing it once the amnesty ends and immigration offices will be swamped with all the people with WP and Tourist visas that have expired.  I can't do it online as it will be my first time doing it in Samui (oh the great times when travelling was allowed and easy ....) TIA

Normally on Samui we just go to the immigration office with our pasport and a piece of paper with the address, get a queue-number for 90-days address report at the check-in counter, and it's done in short time.

Why can't your do it online, have you tried?

12 hours ago, khunPer said:

Why can't your do it online, have you tried?

Yes I tried and I got the "pls contact your local immigration officer." I read elsewhere that the first time it has to be done at immigration. Will see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, huberthammer said:

Yes I tried and I got the "pls contact your local immigration officer." I read elsewhere that the first time it has to be done at immigration. Will see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for that information – "first time it has to be done at immigration" – I didn't know that.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, huberthammer said:

it will be my first time doing it in Samui

Make sure that you or your landlord has filed a TM30.

When I did my last 90 day report there was a guy who was sent packing because he was not TM30 registered in Samui before.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2019 at 7:29 PM, evadgib said:

7.       Include an original doctor’s letter from a hospital. Thai Inter provides them in 15 mins @THB 250.

Is this something unique to Samui, or is it now universal throughout Thailand?

I know every office invents it's own rules to dissuade farangs from residing in LOS, but that seems taking it to extremes. If one has high blood pressure are they going to decline an extension, or is it just another  piece of paper hoop to make the farangs jump through?

I thought Chiang Mai was appalling in the way it kept coming up with new ways of making it difficult, but Samui imm. seems to have made it an art form.

I remember when Thailand welcomed farangs, but that was in a different world. Rather sad.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, khunPer said:

The hand-drawn map has been requested from me during my last about four annual extensions – almost ever since the office moved from Nathon to Maenam – it's not new. When I made one from home the second time I scanned it, so thereafter I just print a copy of the drawing, as I don't change address; that has been accepted so far.

Some kind Immigration police officers also unannounced visited me one morning, probably to check that my hand-drawn map is correct...????

Portrait photo-copy format has also been a request for ages, but Samui immigration might have been kind and accepted owl-like neck turns for viewing some copies in landscape format.

Good to remind everybody of the procedures, thank you...????

I used to think Chiang Mai was bad, but Samui makes them look like saints in comparison. Hand drawn maps to one's residence are ( ? were ) only for those applying for extensions for marriage.

They must really hate dislike farangs on Samui, IMO.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to think Chiang Mai was bad, but Samui makes them look like saints in comparison. Hand drawn maps to one's residence are ( ? were ) only for those applying for extensions for marriage.

Not really "hate dislike farangs"; they just stick to rules, and it actually works very well.

It's not at all any big work, if you are just little prepared. I talk from positive experience, I've done it for years, and the lady handling the "long stay" queue at the Immigration office politely smiles, when having done one's home works. To me she says: »I like you, you are so organized????«

And always look at the bright side of life: It would be much worse for you, if you were a foreigner living in EU...????

47 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Like the British that bought a house in Spain. ????

It's still within The European Economic Area (EEA), I have British friends that moved to Spain, and also having business there; they havn't complained, but I haven't asked either...:whistling:

I was merely thinking of for example a Thai, or other third country nationality, living in Europe...????

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 7:21 PM, khunPer said:

Not really "hate dislike farangs"; they just stick to rules, and it actually works very well.

It's not at all any big work, if you are just little prepared. I talk from positive experience, I've done it for years, and the lady handling the "long stay" queue at the Immigration office politely smiles, when having done one's home works. To me she says: »I like you, you are so organized????«

And always look at the bright side of life: It would be much worse for you, if you were a foreigner living in EU...????

It's not the rules per se, but that they invent things in one office not necessary in another, and the rules they invent have nothing to do with proving that someone is able to live in LOS without being a burden to the Thais. Seems to me that the rules are more about making the process difficult than for an actually relevant reason.

There should be the same rules in every office in LOS, and they should only be what is needed, and not ridiculous and stupid, as some of the rules are.

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:09 PM, PoorSucker said:

Replacement for the old pinned topic that's outdated. 

Samui immigration check list here. 

imageproxy.jpeg.2039e26aaf57f3bf9ed4bc2bee746ac4.jpeg

Is there any rule about how long the term of the lease must be?  Suppose I rent a serviced room or even hotel room in  Samui or Phangan for a month.  If I apply for my extension during that period will it work?  Reason I ask is I’m currently on the move and not sure how long I’ll stay in the area. 

On 8/15/2020 at 6:38 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

No, I am on a NON O-A

Not married and they requested a hand drawn map showing my condo.

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Is there any rule about how long the term of the lease must be?

No, but be aware that your landlord must have registered you as living on the premises. (TM30)

If you are registered somewhere else then Samui Immigration will not process your application.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, lom said:

No, but be aware that your landlord must have registered you as living on the premises. (TM30)

If you are registered somewhere else then Samui Immigration will not process your application.

If I’m in doubt they’ve filed a TM30 can’t I do it myself online?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Surat Thani Immigration, which Samui is a brach of, has their own TM30 page...
http://suratimmigration.go.th/extranet/index.php

You need to register first as "house master" in the top link.

If I’m staying at a hotel in Samui at the time (being a nomad with no other residence) how can I show them a “lease”?   Would a hotel check-in receipt and TM30 be enough?

42 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

If I’m staying at a hotel in Samui at the time (being a nomad with no other residence) how can I show them a “lease”?

So you are retired and plan to live for the rest of your retirement in a hotel. Ok I know one guy who did for a while but he signed a "long stay" agreement. Which by the way is a lot cheaper. 

They probably assume that if one is going to "retire" here then you need some form of "long stay" agreement. 

Of course what you do is up to you but don't complain if you don't fit their idea of a retireee.

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

If I’m staying at a hotel in Samui at the time (being a nomad with no other residence) how can I show them a “lease”?   Would a hotel check-in receipt and TM30 be enough?

A hotel is by law supposed to register a TM30 for all guests; it's a job for the landlord, not the guest. If you own a home, you are the landlord, and shall register any foreign guest in your house. Ask in the reception about TM30, and also for a confirmation for your agreed period of stay: Samui Immigration might accept that.

You can also try go to the left office on the ground floor at Samui Immigration and register there, and get a receipt.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 9:14 PM, VocalNeal said:

So you are retired and plan to live for the rest of your retirement in a hotel. Ok I know one guy who did for a while but he signed a "long stay" agreement. Which by the way is a lot cheaper. 

They probably assume that if one is going to "retire" here then you need some form of "long stay" agreement. 

Of course what you do is up to you but don't complain if you don't fit their idea of a retireee.

No, I'm not planning to live for the rest of my retirement in a hotel.  I was living for years in a condo in BKK, recently decided to move south but haven't decided where exactly to settle down.  So I'm checking out various places and will probably be in a hotel in either Koh Phangan or Koh Samui when it's time for me to extend (late next month).  Once I find a location I think I can be comfortable in long-term, of course I'll rent something.   But if Immigration requires a lease, the best I might be able to give them  this time is the hotel paper.   Maybe I can get the hotel to give me something that looks more like a lease but I don't know.

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

So I'm checking out various places and will probably be in a hotel in either Koh Phangan or Koh Samui when it's time for me to extend (late next month).

When staying on Phangan you will still need to use the Samui Immigration, and you might need two trips over for an extension of stay; one for application, and one more for later collecting your passport and be photographed. It might save you some daylong excursions to Samui to stay here, until you get your extension of stay sorted out.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, khunPer said:

When staying on Phangan you will still need to use the Samui Immigration, and you might need two trips over for an extension of stay; one for application, and one more for later collecting your passport and be photographed. It might save you some daylong excursions to Samui to stay here, until you get your extension of stay sorted out.

Thanks for the suggestion.   Any idea how the Surat Thani office compares with Samui? Do they too require a lease and a return trip to pick up passport, etc? 

4 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks for the suggestion.   Any idea how the Surat Thani office compares with Samui? Do they too require a lease and a return trip to pick up passport, etc? 

Unfortunately not; to my knowledge you need to live over there on the mainland to use the Surat Thani Immigration's main office for extension of stay. Perhaps other posters have better knowledge about that possibility...

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

How many days in advance of expiry can you apply in Samui for an extension of stay based on non-OA (retirement) visa?

30 days according to the rules, but it's been little different on Samui, however lately 30 days has been possible for yearly extensions of stay based on retirement. 14 days has to my knowledge and experience never been a problem.

Edited by khunPer