An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

How many days in advance of expiry can you apply in Samui for an extension of stay based on non-OA (retirement) visa?

Up to 45 days in advance has worked there in the past but they can be a bit uppity (& there's nothing stopping them) if they're swamped (ie Songkran etc in normal years).

On 12/21/2020 at 10:22 PM, evadgib said:

Up to 45 days in advance has worked there in the past but they can be a bit uppity (& there's nothing stopping them) if they're swamped (ie Songkran etc in normal years).

Thanks, what about the 90 day in-person report?  In BKK could come 15 days early until 7 days late.  Same in Samui?  I'd like to do both that and the extension in one visit.

20 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks, what about the 90 day in-person report?  In BKK could come 15 days early until 7 days late.  Same in Samui?  I'd like to do both that and the extension in one visit.

If they don't re-set your 90 day during the renewal process you can either report when your existing slip says so or remove it entirely and report 90 days later as usual.

(Having 'reported to immigration' on the date stamped in your passport they can hardly state otherwise ???? )

HTH

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Your 90-days report are always reset when having an extension of stay at Samui Immigration; unlike most other places, where it, according to Thaivisa forum-posters, runs independently of extensions of stay.

You can easily do online reporting by web or app, link HERE.

Doing physical 90-day address reporting by Samui Immigration, I would never come late – unless due date is a public holiday, but I would still avoid to be late – nor would I come more than one week early; I prefer a smile in return for giving my address...????

Edit/addition: On Samui you might often do a 90-day address report from two to four weeks before your annual extension...:whistling:

Edited by khunPer

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Edit/addition: On Samui you might often do a 90-day address report from two to four weeks before your annual extension...

For me they are synced if I don't do the 90 day report too early. 

I apply for the annual extension two weeks before it expires which means that there is still days left before the 90 day report is due, I never have to do a 90 day report weeks before I do the extension.

Edited by lom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Your 90-days report are always reset when having an extension of stay at Samui Immigration; unlike most other places, where it, according to Thaivisa forum-posters, runs independently of extensions of stay.

You can easily do online reporting by web or app, link HERE.

That's interesting about the reset, yes BKK is not like that.  About online:  I've been doing that in BKK, but I think I've heard that if you try to do an online 90 day report from a new address, it doesn't work.  You have to do an in-person 90 day report with the new address, then it's in the system and you can do it online after that.  Is that correct?

6 hours ago, lom said:

For me they are synced if I don't do the 90 day report too early. 

I apply for the annual extension two weeks before it expires which means that there is still days left before the 90 day report is due, I never have to do a 90 day report weeks before I do the extension.

For me it has happened like that every year for 14 years until now...????

However, I do my 90-days address confirmation online, so not a big deal...????

Edited by khunPer

6 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

That's interesting about the reset, yes BKK is not like that.  About online:  I've been doing that in BKK, but I think I've heard that if you try to do an online 90 day report from a new address, it doesn't work.  You have to do an in-person 90 day report with the new address, then it's in the system and you can do it online after that.  Is that correct?

To my knowledge you need to make a TM28 (I think it is, not TM30) when changing address, you cannot change address with a 90-days address confirmation. As I never changed address, I have no experience...????

• 2 weeks later...

Please update re bank documents (for retirement extension in Samui, using the B800K deposit method).  I know we need a copy of a bank book showing the required deposits throughout the year and also a bank letter saying we have B800K as of the date (or shortly before) of applying for the extension.  Questions:

1.  How many days ahead of applying can the bank letter be dated?

2.  What about an additional bank statement for the entire preceding year, as some offices are apparently requiring.  Does Samui require it now?

35 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Please update re bank documents (for retirement extension in Samui, using the B800K deposit method).  I know we need a copy of a bank book showing the required deposits throughout the year and also a bank letter saying we have B800K as of the date (or shortly before) of applying for the extension.  Questions:

1.  How many days ahead of applying can the bank letter be dated?

2.  What about an additional bank statement for the entire preceding year, as some offices are apparently requiring.  Does Samui require it now?

The official list of required documents by immigration shared earlier, is still valid.

1. The bank-letter and 3-month statement shall be no more than 7 days old.

2. It seems to vary, what has been asked for, based on comments in this thread. Some few have been asked to show proof of fund upon (first) 90-days reporting after extension of stay by the new rules. I recently extended my stay based on retirement, and was not asked for anything apart from the bank letter with 3-month statement, and photocopies of all pages of the bankbook. I however have my 800k in a 12-month fixed deposit.

A 3-month statement would show both not less than 400k baht, and from not less than two month before request of extension of stay, 800k baht. But you can always ask in the immigration office before applying for extension of stay, they are normally very kind and helpful (I only have positive experiences).

Depending of your bank, a 12-month printed statement might need to be requested in advance from the bank's head office (Bangkok Bank for example). You should be safe, if you have a 12-month bank statement.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

My Non O retirement expires this  month.

Are the Samui specific forms available as a downloadable .pdf? Or do we still have to go Immigration and get them in person?

TIA

If it's retirement extension, you might need to get the form from the immigration office, ask at the counter, cannot use the form for 30-day tourist visa extension.

I tried to use a download form, but Samui Immigration has an extra line on top of page 2 for e-mail address, and even I nicely wrote "E-mail:" on the downloaded form, if was not accepted; it had to be their form with pre-printed "E-mail address:_________"...????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

I tried to use a download form, but Samui Immigration has an extra line on top of page 2 for e-mail address, and even I nicely wrote "E-mail:" on the downloaded form, if was not accepted; it had to be their form with pre-printed "E-mail address:_________"...

I even went one better a couple of years ago, I scanned one of their own forms into my computer and saved it as a PDF, and then filled it in on the computer...even that wasn't accepted, it had to be hand written...go figure ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I see it in the list but do they definitely require a copy of the household book as well as the lease?  I have the lease but might have a trouble getting the book. 

They require a copy of the house book signed by the house master (owner of the house) who has given you the lease.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lom said:

They require a copy of the house book signed by the house master (owner of the house) who has given you the lease.

Thanks.  Do you know what happens if it is a large condo building or similar development?  Can a staff member sign for the company that is the owner?

On 5/22/2019 at 2:29 PM, evadgib said:

Residents that prepare templates electronically at home should note that Samui's TM7 (annual extn)  and TM8 (re-entry permit) are slightly different from the online versions therefore you will be expected to peel off your photos and complete their version by hand. To save yourself any problems I suggest picking up copies of their version a few days beforehand or during a 90 day report so that you can complete them at home rather than trying to elbow your way onto the (6' x 2') surface where others are doing same.

The only other change is that payment is at the desk at the point of applying (it used to be afterwards) and passports are available the following week (used to be the same day).

Embassy letters (issued by the four that discontinued the service on 01 Jan) are being honoured.

HTH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office.

A factual first-hand account aimed at dispelling some of the myths that have arisen in recent months.

1.       Prepare a double sided TM 7 including photo. Sign and date it on the day you apply.

2.       Print and sign the Bio Page, entry page and all previous pages of passport since your visa was issued/entered the Kingdom. Do same re your departure card (TM6). 2 sets are needed if applying for re-entry permit (double sided TM8 plus photo) too.

3.       Print a Satellite Map with GPS coordinates and an arrow to your house. An A4 sheet showing a Satellite image (top) with a map (below) has been accepted for my last 6 extensions.

4.       Print copies of your Rental agreement, House book & Landlords ID.

5.       Include any further financial proof that has cropped up of late.

6.       Copy all pages of your bank book and add them to your file. Have the book with you incase asked to show it.

7.       Include an original doctor’s letter from a hospital. Thai Inter provides them in 15 mins @THB 250.

8.       The correct fee is THB 1,900 plus an additional THB 1k or 3.8k if applying for single/multiple re-entry permit.

9.       The office opens @0830hrs but is quite uncomfortable until the aircon kicks in therefore it’s advisable not to arrive too early. 1045hrs is fine and you’ll be out before midday & given a date in which to return the following week to collect your passport.

Other Considerations

-          TM7 TM8 Templates: Samui IO’s templates differ slightly from the ones downloaded from the main office in Bkk & completed electronically therefore it’s advisable to pick some up a few days beforehand & complete them by hand at home.

-          Data/Security: It is advisable to redact or otherwise protect some of the above documents, particularly passports and bank books. CROSSING them as per a cheque isn’t ideal but may reduce the chances of your data proving useful to 3rd parties.

-          Creature Comforts: A small bag containing 2 clipboards, a pen & a glue-stick makes all the difference, as does a bottle of water. 1 Clipboard contained my completed application while the other contained any spares I felt might be necessary. None were needed this year.

-          There is ample parking behind the building. The road has been concreted.

-          Passports are returned a week later. Applicants are given a ‘raffle ticket’ in lieu of a receipt.

Eva

22 May 2019

I have picked up a couple of Samui specific TM.7's and TM.8's. Scanned them into my computer as .pdfs, completed and printed them off. I have to renew my Non O retirement extension this week, so will see if they will accept them. Or not. Will take hand  written ones along. Just to be sure.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

I have picked up a couple of Samui specific TM.7's and TM.8's. Scanned them into my computer as .pdfs, completed and printed them off. I have to renew my Non O retirement extension this week, so will see if they will accept them. Or not. Will take hand  written ones along. Just to be sure.

Even if they will not accept it, it´s good that you and others don´t stop trying this again and again, just so they become aware, that this non-downloadable-superspecial-form-craziness is getting on everyones nerves for absolutely nothing. Good on you.

Edited by starfish

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Great idea.  I'm on Koh Phangan and will be going to Samui soon to apply.  So I can't get the forms in advance. Would you mind posting your pdf versions (the blank ones of course) here so I and others could download them? ????

Eva's list above (from May) includes "4. Print copies of your Rental agreement, House book & Landlords ID."

My landlord is a large company (based in BKK) and I don't see how I could get an ID (I suspect there are multiple owners and anyway I have no contact with them, just the local manager).  I do have the lease and house book.  Do I really need the ID?  

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Great idea.  I'm on Koh Phangan and will be going to Samui soon to apply.  So I can't get the forms in advance. Would you mind posting your pdf versions (the blank ones of course) here so I and others could download them? ????

No problem. I will post them in a separate post after this reply.

I have to file my 90 day report as well as get my visa extension in Samui.   When filing the 90 day do you have to return later for passport/receipt etc. (as with the extension) or is it finished the same day?  If the latter, timing is better if I first apply for my extension, then file the 90 day the next week when I return.

5 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I have to file my 90 day report as well as get my visa extension in Samui.   When filing the 90 day do you have to return later for passport/receipt etc. (as with the extension) or is it finished the same day?  If the latter, timing is better if I first apply for my extension, then file the 90 day the next week when I return.

90 day takes 5 minutes,( depending on how busy they are. ) I left with my passport straight away. Visa renewal takes one  week. So no passport for one week.

Edited by phetphet

Filling out the needed form by hand is not that big a challence, and there are tables and chairs for doing the job on the groundfloor, but remember a pen, that might no be available. If you don't live nearby and can pick-up the Samui-version of forms, then just save yourself from all the worries, and remember a photo, and fill the form at the office; there are no questions you cannot answer, if you have your passport, and know your physical address and your email address.

It's some of the additional documents that can be a problem, if youfor example dont have the right rent agreement and documentation from owner; however the specified list from the immigration office includes all you need to prepare...????

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks.  What about the multiple re-entry permit, is that also a same-day thing?

Yes, you can do both extension of stay and multiple re-entry in one go, but remember an extra photo; and if you don't have one the immigration office offers photo-service for a reasonable small fee...????

34 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It's some of the additional documents that can be a problem, if youfor example dont have the right rent agreement and documentation from owner; however the specified list from the immigration office includes all you need to prepare...????

Thanks - did they make you give them a copy of the owner's ID?  (Above I noted that may be impossible for me).