An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

People say it now has to be a hospital, not a clinic.  And on the Immigration Office's list of required documents it says "medical certificate (hospital only valid  for 7 days)".

What kind of form have you seen more recently?

None, but I do not do retirement extensions anymore.

I need a medical for my work permit/visa and the doc just signs a standard letter.

I do not have a copy - immigration keep it.

They usually just ask me how I feel. They sometimes listen to my lungs. Temp, BP and weight, that is it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

What kind of form have you seen more recently?

The one I posted above is from October last year, and accepted by Immigration, and similar to the one I've had for the past several years from Thai International Hospital, except first year 2014, where I used Bandon Hospital, when a health certificate for extensions stay was again needed since before 2007.

I cannot remember what I paid at Bandon in 2014, but they didn't check any more that TIH, i.e. blood pressure, pulse, weight, and a kind doctor that listened to my breast; i.e. no X-ray and no blood test. The certificate was the below image...

PM-health-Bandon-2014.thumb.jpg.294e4145424b2fe77b263e17687c18a8.jpg

Edited by khunPer
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

The one I posted above is from October last year, and accepted by Immigration, and similar to the one I've had for the past several years from Thai International Hospital, except first year 2014, where I used Bandon Hospital, when a health certificate for extensions stay was again needed since before 2007.

I cannot remember what I paid at Bandon in 2014, but they didn't check any more that TIH, i.e. blood pressure, pulse, weight, and a kind doctor that listened to my breast; i.e. no X-ray and no blood test. The certificate was the below image...

PM-health-Bandon-2014.thumb.jpg.294e4145424b2fe77b263e17687c18a8.jpg

Here's what I now heard from a doctor at Bandon (Koh Phangan) by email:  "... Previously last 2 years, our doctors used to do only physical examination in order to sign the medical certificate but it made our team not comfortable with that to sign the form with doubt. So team (doctors) discussed with the boss and came up with the package of this one - investigation for Syphilis and TB with blood and Xray. ..." 

But after further discussion it turns out they are willing to skip the X-ray and instead do a blood test for TB.  That costs an additional B220 for total of 650+220 = 870.  Pricey but in my mind worth it since they're already doing the blood test for syphilis and it avoids the radiation exposure of an Xray.

Edited by TerraplaneGuy
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

That Bandon certificate is for work permit. 

The six items are nation wide requirements for WP. 

Well I told them clearly it’s for a retirement extension and they said it’s the same certificate for all uses at Immigration.  They don’t have other forms. 

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

That Bandon certificate is for work permit. 

The six items are nation wide requirements for WP. 

Five of the six items are on TIH's form, they don't include Syphilis, which to my knowledge is needed for extension based on work permit. Nor do TIH make X-rays of take a blood test.

The "big medical check" for WP at Samui Hospital (government's in Nathon) include blood test for drugs, and it costs around 800 baht a few years ago, and was said to take half a day.

Be aware that from 25th January Covid-19 test might be included in the medical report, it's a new Law published in Royal Gazette the 25th December, starting after 30 days. All foreigners shall show negative Covid-19 test. It might rock the price for the medical certificate up, probably in level of some thousand baht, if not Covid-19 test has become cheaper.

Richard Barrow in Facebook...

IMPORTANT: According to this document published in the Royal Gazette, the Immigration law for Section 12 (4) and Section 44 (2) has been changed to include the need for the foreigners to have a #COVID19 test done in order to stay in #Thailand.

This was published in the Royal Gazette on 25th December 2020. The part that is underlined says it will become law 30 days later. So, that is then 25th January 2021. The week after next. I’ve already had someone tell me that they were told by their local Immigration that they need to do a COVID test before they come in on Monday to extend their stay. This is not correct as it doesn’t start until 25th January. If they try to do that then show them this document.

As usual, not everything is clear yet. From what I understand (and to be transparent here, there has been no announcement by Immigration yet), this is for everyone who is entering Thailand and for everyone already here and need to extend their stay. It is also needed for those people who are applying for residency. The document doesn’t say how far in advance you need to get the COVID test done. And as these are not cheap, who will pay? You or your employer?

???? The need for a COVID test are being added to the following in the Immigration Act:

???? SECTION 12 Aliens falling into any of the following categories are excluded from entering the Kingdom (4) Being of unsound mind or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.
1. Leprosy
2. TB at dangerous stage
3. Lymphatic filariasis (elephantiasis)
4. Drug addiction
5. Stage 3 syphilis
6. Coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19

???? SECTION 44 No alien shall take up residency in the Kingdom, if (2) it appears that such alien is unable to earn own living because of physical infirmity or mental defect or having any diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.
1. Leprosy
2. TB at dangerous stage
4. Drug addiction
5. Alcoholism
6.Stage 3 syphilis
7. Coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19

???? I will of course post more information here once I get some clarity on some of the points and also once Immigration make an announcement. But as we all know, that will probably come the day before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

Five of the six items are on TIH's form, they don't include Syphilis, which to my knowledge is needed for extension based on work permit. Nor do TIH make X-rays of take a blood test.

The "big medical check" for WP at Samui Hospital (government's in Nathon) include blood test for drugs, and it costs around 800 baht a few years ago, and was said to take half a day.

Be aware that from 25th January Covid-19 test might be included in the medical report, it's a new Law published in Royal Gazette the 25th December, starting after 30 days. All foreigners shall show negative Covid-19 test. It might rock the price for the medical certificate up, probably in level of some thousand baht, if not Covid-19 test has become cheaper.

Richard Barrow in Facebook...

This is uncertain and a lot of people think it’s an incorrect interpretation of the new regulation. The Covid test requirement may not apply to most kinds of visas and extensions.  See this chain:

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

4 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

This is uncertain and a lot of people think it’s an incorrect interpretation of the new regulation. The Covid test requirement may not apply to most kinds of visas and extensions.  See this chain:

You might well be correct – I wrote "might" – but Samui Immigrations is one of the few immigration offices (if not the only one) requiring a medical certificate (of which "syphilis" has been discussed if included or not) for extension of stay based on retirement, and the demand for that certificate seems to be in accordance with what Richard Barrows says (my bold)...

???? SECTION 44 No alien shall take up residency in the Kingdom, if (2) it appears that such alien is unable to earn own living because of physical infirmity or mental defect or having any diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.
1. Leprosy
2. TB at dangerous stage
4. Drug addiction
5. Alcoholism
6.Stage 3 syphilis
7. Coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19

However, time will show.

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

About the hand-drawn map they require:  do you have to draw it right there in front of them or can you bring one done before?

In the beginning, when the hand drawn map-demand was new, I was handed a paper, a ruler and a pen, and was demanded to draw the map on the spot, i.e. sitting on the floor. Next year I draw one from home (to avoid the "floor work"...:whistling:), which was accepted, but not with a smile, and only after I could explain exactly the directions to my house, and all landmarks in the map.

Before I went to the immigration office I had however scanned my otherwise perfectly fine drawing (I'm an excellent cartographer...????), and the following year I handed in the scanned copy, which were looked at like "not at all acceptable", but after checking all documents again two-three times it was accepted with the words: »I like you are so organized!«

Last October, the second time I used a print of the scanning, there were not bad face, all was Okay...????

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You might well be correct – I wrote "might" – but Samui Immigrations is one of the few immigration offices (if not the only one) requiring a medical certificate (of which "syphilis" has been discussed if included or not) for extension of stay based on retirement, and the demand for that certificate seems to be in accordance with what Richard Barrows says (my bold)...

However, time will show.

Maybe I don't understand you but the Bandon certificate for Samui that I posted above does mention syphilis but does NOT mention Covid-19.  So it's not in accordance with what RB said.  Where did you see C-19 mentioned on a Samui certificate?

35 minutes ago, khunPer said:

In the beginning, when the hand drawn map-demand was new, I was handed a paper, a ruler and a pen, and was demanded to draw the map on the spot, i.e. sitting on the floor. Next year I draw one from home (to avoid the "floor work"...:whistling:), which was accepted, but not with a smile, and only after I could explain exactly the directions to my house, and all landmarks in the map.

Before I went to the immigration office I had however scanned my otherwise perfectly fine drawing (I'm an excellent cartographer...????), and the following year I handed in the scanned copy, which were looked at like "not at all acceptable", but after checking all documents again two-three times it was accepted with the words: »I like you are so organized!«

Last October, the second time I used a print of the scanning, there were not bad face, all was Okay...????

How ridiculous that they even demand this map at all.  But good to hear you didn't have to sit on the floor and draw it ????  By the way, do you know how much detail they expect?  In my case, in Koh Phangan, there is really only one road that goes from the main town (Thong Sala) all the way to my place on the north coast, which is just on a beach.  After drawing the island, the map to my home would really only require two or three lines.  And they aren't straight lines so I don't know what I would use the ruler for.   Is this simple map enough for them?

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

Maybe I don't understand you but the Bandon certificate for Samui that I posted above does mention syphilis but does NOT mention Covid-19.  So it's not in accordance with what RB said.  Where did you see C-19 mentioned on a Samui certificate?

It's a new law that can not be valid before 25th January, as it was posted in Royal Gazette December 25th, 30 days before the rules can begin. You will not see anything about Covid-19 test by now, and it might also take some time to implement the new test in the required documents for extension of stay. And as I said it, "might"...????

How ridiculous that they even demand this map at all.  But good to hear you didn't have to sit on the floor and draw it ????  By the way, do you know how much detail they expect?  In my case, in Koh Phangan, there is really only one road that goes from the main town (Thong Sala) all the way to my place on the north coast, which is just on a beach.  After drawing the island, the map to my home would really only require two or three lines.  And they aren't straight lines so I don't know what I would use the ruler for.   Is this simple map enough for them?

To my understanding it's the details in the area where one lives that they are interested in, like a 7-Eleven corner, or a well-known restaurant or resort, as land marks, the sois and a marking of the actual house.

Immigration or police do now and then make home visits to check that people live, where they state to live, and they use the maps for that purpose; both the Google satelite with coordinates, and the simple hand drawn map, the latter just like when having stuff delivered from HomePro, so the driver can find the address.

Don't be surprised if a couple of polite police officers visits you and wish a photo of you together with one of the police officers, in front of the house with the mandatory house number visible, and you holding your passport with the name-page visible...????

My "hand drawn map" is very simple. In the gray square-cover I wrote my name, passport number and address. I have removed the exact marking of my house, but otherwise the below map has been accepted ever since the beginning of hand drawn maps...

Hand-drawn-map_sample.jpg.9f9316ed857b98f64a566baecfb395c9.jpg

47 minutes ago, lom said:

To ease your worries I suggest that when arriving to Samui Immigration you go to the last small office on the right hand side just 10 meter before the main building. Give the guy there a purple and tell him that what remains of it afterwards is his tip. He will take your photo and print it on photo paper, make all copies needed of your bankbook and other docs, he will print out a google satellite map with your condo x-marked  and a road only map of the way to get there. He will also fill in the application form for your extension to stay and then sort the papers in the right order and make sure that nothing is missing before you take the short walk up to the immigration office.

Sounds good.  By a purple you mean B500?   But I already have my photos and photocopies made so the main thing he could do is fill in the form and sort paper etc.  Maybe I should give him B300?

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Sounds good.  By a purple you mean B500?   But I already have my photos and photocopies made so the main thing he could do is fill in the form and sort paper etc.  Maybe I should give him B300?

It's not complicated...

Fill in the form is easy (data from passport, local address, email address).
Order of paper is exactly as the list.

All copies shall be in portrait mode, so like a book (excluding maps).

All photo copies shall be signed.

No staples.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do they insist that your bank book show a transaction on the day you apply?  (Bangkok does.) My bank letter and statement will be as of the day before.

No they don't, the day before is what I usually have.

When I did my last extension application I got the bank letter and bank book transaction on a Wednesday and went to immigration the next day just to find it closed because of a "long weekend".????

No complaints when I got back after the weekend, I think they require the statement letter and bank book transaction to be less than a week old.

• Like 2

Covid-19 test 

According to news article today, it seems like Covid-19 test will be mandatory from January 24th for extension of stay...

BANGKOK — A test for COVID-19 will soon be required for every foreigner who wishes to extend their stay in the kingdom, the immigration police said Monday.

Bureau spokesman Archayon Kraithong said the new measure will make it mandatory for foreigners to obtain a proof of negative coronavirus test before visiting the immigration to extend their visa.

He said the stringent rule will apply to every type of visa, regardless of how long the foreigner has stayed in the country...

Source: Khaosod English, 19th January 2021: "COVID-19 TEST WILL BE MANDATORY FOR ALL VISA EXTENSIONS".

Just finished my retirement extension in Samui.   No Covid test required (maybe I just got under the wire).  Paperwork went smoothly.  Arrived today about 9:30 AM, left the office about 10:30 AM.    I had expected to have to come back from Koh Phangan (where I live) in a week to pick up my passport with the new stamps but they told me I could pick it up the next afternoon (tomorrow).    When I asked if it was possible to pick it up tomorrow morning they said no problem, can even come back today (same day) at 3 pm. Went back at 3, everything done.  Extension, multiple re-entry permit and even my 90 day report, which they did entirely themselves without asking me to fill out the usual form.   Very impressive service!

Edited by TerraplaneGuy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Covid-19 test 

According to news article today, it seems like Covid-19 test will be mandatory from January 24th for extension of stay...

Source: Khaosod English, 19th January 2021: "COVID-19 TEST WILL BE MANDATORY FOR ALL VISA EXTENSIONS".

The article you link does not say that. I suspect they updated it since you saw it.  It now says that the official soon backtracked his statement.  ““I apologize for the misunderstanding,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said. “It will only apply to certain types of visa, most likely the permanent resident visa.”

Edited by TerraplaneGuy
  • Like 1

Covid-19 UPDATE (my bold): 

BANGKOK — A spokesman for the immigration police on Tuesday walked back on his announcement that a negative COVID-19 test result will be mandatory for every foreigner who wishes to extend their stay in the kingdom.

Immigration bureau spokesman Archayon Kraithong previously said on Monday the new measure will be applied to “every type of visa,” regardless of how long the foreigner has stayed in the country.

But less than an hour after his remark was reported on Khaosod English – sparking an uproar among expats on social media – the spokesman reached back to say he was misinformed about the new policy, and offered an apology.

“I apologize for the misunderstanding,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said. “It will only apply to certain types of visa, most likely the permanent resident visa.”...

Source: Khaosod English "IMMIGRATION BACKTRACKS ON PLAN TO REQUIRE COVID-19 TEST FOR VISA EXTENSIONS".

53 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

The article you link does not say that. I suspect they updated it since you saw it.

Yes, Immigration seems to apologize now, it's not yet settled what kind of visas/extensions are going to be included in Covid-19 test.