An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

How early can you apply for retirement extension in Samui?  I have a note from previous years that you can apply up to 45 days before your expiry date but another that maybe 30 days early is the maximum.  Any recent experience on this?

I have a non-OA retirement extension.

Cheers!

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

23 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

How early can you apply for retirement extension in Samui?  I have a note from previous years that you can apply up to 45 days before your expiry date but another that maybe 30 days early is the maximum.  Any recent experience on this?

I have a non-OA retirement extension.

Cheers!

Count with 30 days in advance at Samui Immigration.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks.  About the medical certificate (x-Ray etc) how long is it valid?   Can you get it a week before or does it have to be the previous day?

No x-ray required for medical certificate ? Last year was just asked to walk in a straight line .

8 minutes ago, lom said:

Yes but you lose the other 600.000 because that is a non-refundable fee for the Elite Visa

Yes but if you plan on staying for 5+ years  , 800,000 is locked . It releases funds now . I look at the 800,000 as locked cash , so unable to use until or if you want to return to Europe .

Also has a few other benefits when travelling overseas , transport to and from airport , use of lounges , fast track , re-entry permit included , help with bank accounts if needed , driving license renewal etc ... and no annual hassle of printing , signing  and presenting piles of forms ( in the right order ) , saving of annual immigration fees . 

I think it gives some peace of mind and security for the future .

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks.  About the medical certificate (x-Ray etc) how long is it valid?   Can you get it a week before or does it have to be the previous day?

One week before, no x-ray, just a small heath check. I normally use Thai International Hospital opposite Lotus's in Bo Phut (Chaweng). I use to obtain the health certificate a few days before. Last time for me was October, and the price was still 250 baht; took about 15 minutes from walk-in to pay and walk-out...????

Edit: The is a still valid list of needed documentation a bit back in the thread...

imageproxy.jpeg.2039e26aaf57f3bf9ed4bc2b

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

One week before, no x-ray, just a small heath check. I normally use Thai International Hospital opposite Lotus's in Bo Phut (Chaweng). I use to obtain the health certificate a few days before. Last time for me was October, and the price was still 250 baht; took about 15 minutes from walk-in to pay and walk-out...????

Edit: The is a still valid list of needed documentation a bit back in the thread...

imageproxy.jpeg.2039e26aaf57f3bf9ed4bc2b

Thanks a lot!  One thing I don't see listed here (wasn't in previous years' lists either but was required) is the medical insurance, if your category is non-OA.  I assume you still need to show a certificate for coverage of THB3 million (and outpatient THB 40,000 I think?) and also a certificate of Covid coverage or a statement in the first certificate that Covid is covered - unless they've dropped that now. 

One other question:  I understand they now have an online appointment booking system.  Is it working these days?  I think the URL is https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/[email protected]/bookings/

11 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks a lot!  One thing I don't see listed here (wasn't in previous years' lists either but was required) is the medical insurance, if your category is non-OA.  I assume you still need to show a certificate for coverage of THB3 million (and outpatient THB 40,000 I think?) and also a certificate of Covid coverage or a statement in the first certificate that Covid is covered - unless they've dropped that now. 

One other question:  I understand they now have an online appointment booking system.  Is it working these days?  I think the URL is https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/[email protected]/bookings/

The list from October this year that includes the non-OA insurance...

image.thumb.jpeg.b885738a03c14ad355a40d893c8d613b.jpeg

I didn't use the appointment system, I'm not sure if it works or not – you'll probably just be seated with a queue-number like everybody else, and asked to wait while they check your documents, until you get a new number and a date to return to pick up your passport. If your papers are in order, it's not that bad...????

• Like 2

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

The list from October this year that includes the non-OA insurance...

image.thumb.jpeg.b885738a03c14ad355a40d893c8d613b.jpeg

I didn't use the appointment system, I'm not sure if it works or not – you'll probably just be seated with a queue-number like everybody else, and asked to wait while they check your documents, until you get a new number and a date to return to pick up your passport. If your papers are in order, it's not that bad...????

Thanks, you're very helpful!  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this kind of TM30 screenshot acceptable to Samui Immigration?  I just got it from the landlord and it's a different setup than the ones I had in past years.  I pointed out to her that it doesn't actually seem to say "TM30" but she says it is and it's the new style.

image.thumb.jpeg.a9d434a67d579d4c9139a5d8cb2a4914.jpeg

Edited by TerraplaneGuy
  • Like 1

Is this kind of TM30 screenshot acceptable to Samui Immigration?  I just got it from the landlord and it's a different setup than the ones I had in past years.  I pointed out to her that it doesn't actually seem to say "TM30" but she says it is and it's the new style.

As long as it has the house details (blacked out?) then yes.

They reference the database direct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks.  It does seem to contain the address of the house and name of the company that owns it.   

In the end did you have to rent a place or they accepted a hotel/short stay address?

8 minutes ago, gearbox said:

In the end did you have to rent a place or they accepted a hotel/short stay address?

I haven't gone in yet, will in the next couple weeks.  But anyway I got a lease (rental) at a serviced apartment.  I didn't want to take a chance on just a hotel booking confirmation.  I was told by a couple of Samui bungalow developments that their retired guests have been fine with just a booking confirmation, no lease, but who knows if that's reliable.   The Samui immigration list says "house rental contract" which sounds like more than just a hotel booking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Getting my medical certificate for retirement extension this week.  I've read here that Thai International charges B250 for it and I just checked Bangkok Hospital Samui and they charge B900!  Is Thai International still 250 and is it definitely accepted at Immigration?   If so the choice is obvious ????

Getting my medical certificate for retirement extension this week.  I've read here that Thai International charges B250 for it and I just checked Bangkok Hospital Samui and they charge B900!  Is Thai International still 250 and is it definitely accepted at Immigration?   If so the choice is obvious ????

Last time I used it was October 2022 and 250 baht. It's been accepted for me so far, and almost as long as medical certificate has been required; I think I used Bandon Hospital the first time...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do you have to make an appointment or just walk in?

I use Bandon Hospital for my WP medical certificate and it is just turn up. Never had to wait long.

From what I can remember, Thai Inter was the same. Just a longer wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do you have to make an appointment or just walk in?

Just walk in together with my passport – needed for identification to the immigration office – it takes all together about 15 minutes from walk-in til payment and walk-out. Remember to ask for medical check for "retirement extension", work permit is to my knowledge a larger test...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just extended for one more year, no changes. The same lady in the immigration, Bangkok bank 6 months statement, Thai international medical certificate still 250 baht, copy of the yellow book. There were heaps of Russians/Ukrainians when I submitted the application, around 1.5 hours waiting time.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 9:23 PM, gearbox said:

Just extended for one more year, no changes. The same lady in the immigration, Bangkok bank 6 months statement, Thai international medical certificate still 250 baht, copy of the yellow book. There were heaps of Russians/Ukrainians when I submitted the application, around 1.5 hours waiting time.

Good to hear.  What about picking up your passport with the extension in it?  Is that what you refer to re the 1.5 hours or was that to submit (in which case, when was pickup)?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Good to hear.  What about picking up your passport with the extension in it?  Is that what you refer to re the 1.5 hours or was that to submit (in which case, when was pickup)?

Picking up was 5 min, you just go straight to the counter 4, they take a photo and give you back your passport. The submission is longer, however when I went back to get my passport there was a very short queue downstairs, so it probably depends on your luck how long to wait to submit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...