Open bank account. Yes again

So decided go down the fixed term deposit acc for money in bank method extension based on retirement. I have savings ac (light blue bank) zero interest. I want open new account at another bank (bkk bank). So just now bank tells me I need embassy letter re residence. I say au embassy does not do that now. (Not to be confused with income letter). Then tell me he needs letter from my au bank. When pressed about what do I ask for.... I get "au bank need give your details". Somewhere in there was SWIFT. So my question.. can anyone advise me how to proceed. For the record bkk bank offered 1.5%. My rubbish bank 1.05%.

Any advice appreciated.

9 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Go to another branch, or another bank altogether. That branch doesn't want your business.

I have been to 2 previously already. Didn't get past embassy letter with first one. BTW this post was regarding head office sukhumvit rd Nana

Find out which branches are foreigner-friendly - I have no idea personally. I tried Bangkok bank (letter from embassy) and Kasikorn (was told "no foreigners") on Sukhumvit, and finally got an account at a small Krungsri branch without any hassles. My friend was going there in person for money transfers so he became friendly with bank staff, when he introduced me they didn't ask for anything other than passport and lease copy. They opened an account for him too and didn't even ask for a lease (he was a tourist staying at an Airbnb at the time). I think maybe smaller branches more likely to open an account for you - especially if they know you.

52 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

My previous post shows what was the easiest. 

David 

Thank you. Read your post. I took my Thai partner with me. Very good English and she has an account with bangkok bank. I have a lease same place 7 years. I had the 800k with me in cash..... Result..."we need your Australian bank send us your details". What the heck does that mean. My au bank would be amiss to send anything. He mentioned "swift". I showed my westpac app on phone with all details. 

" no your bank need send your details".

Fancy trying to do business here. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Thank you. Read your post. I took my Thai partner with me. Very good English and she has an account with bangkok bank. I have a lease same place 7 years. I had the 800k with me in cash..... Result..."we need your Australian bank send us your details". What the heck does that mean. My au bank would be amiss to send anything. He mentioned "swift". I showed my westpac app on phone with all details. 

" no your bank need send your details".

Fancy trying to do business here. 

Was her account at that branch? If not, try the one where she banks. They all ave the same name but operate fairly independently.

David

1 minute ago, Genericnic said:

Was her account at that branch? If not, try the one where she banks. They all ave the same name but operate fairly independently.

David

Thanks David. Went to both branch with her. No success. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks David. Went to both branch with her. No success. 

Did you get an income letter before they were stopped in December or do you use the 800k method for your extensions?

12 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I opened a Bangkok Bank account at the Si Racha branch in January. Easy and straight forward.

On their website it gives a list of what documents are needed, including:

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

I also used my yellow book as a second form of confirmation of my address. (could also have used my wife's ID card and Tabien Baan but she needed to be with me then)

Note, only one reference letter is required from the list.

The reference letter is just to confirm your name, passport number and permanent address in Thailand from an official/trusted source. I didn't need a new letter from the Embassy, I just used the income letter I received from the British Embassy in December. It contained all the information they required, and more.

They probably went on to ask about needing a reference from your Australian bank because you'd said a letter from the Embassy was not an option.

A friend who has a Bangkok Bank account can also supply the reference required if no other options are available.

Thank you. I think joining dots from your post and what bank told me.... I need this letter from my au bank. Bit difficult to contact them from los but might get family member to go in person to au branch and get more info.

I sometimes worry simple question can clog busy visa threads, however I'm thinking some members may now opt for fixed term money in bank method. If not the 800k perhaps 400k to avoid slip ups.

BTW bkk bank offered 1.5%.

My light blue bank 1.05% and citi bank 0.3% if I deposited 1mill baht. Think the last guy was confused. All done today

Edited by DrJack54
Error

4 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Did you get an income letter before they were stopped in December or do you use the 800k method for your extensions?

Have never used income letter. Always money in bank. Previously just made sure the 800 was there for 3 months then just lived off it for next several months. I really hate these new requirements but I accept as I wish to live here. 

Slightly unrelated. After the money in bank changes (800 for 3 month after then min 400k), I hatched a plan to obtain my next extension with money in bank, with no intention of maintaining it in bank after extension granted. Then just prior to permission expire return to Au and obtain a non O-A. 

Then they introduced the compulsory insurance for O-A. Maybe they are more clever than I imagined.

• Like 1

Are you and your Thai partner married by any chance? I recently opened a certificate of deposit account at Thannachart Bank. I no longer have a work permit but they said a copy of my wife's ID (she's Thai) and our marriage certificate would be enough for them to let me open the account. They were quite cheery about it to. 

For the record, it pays 1.8% interest, 1 yr term--crap by any reasonable investment standards but the rules say the money's gotta be in a bank here.

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have never used income letter. Always money in bank. Previously just made sure the 800 was there for 3 months then just lived off it for next several months. I really hate these new requirements but I accept as I wish to live here. 

Slightly unrelated. After the money in bank changes (800 for 3 month after then min 400k), I hatched a plan to obtain my next extension with money in bank, with no intention of maintaining it in bank after extension granted. Then just prior to permission expire return to Au and obtain a non O-A. 

Then they introduced the compulsory insurance for O-A. Maybe they are more clever than I imagined.

Yes, these 'minor changes' can be really disruptive for some. I've watched 'minor' changes to the various visa/extension rules over the years and think 'today's' changes are just a small part of a long term plan to update and streamline the outdated system we have at the moment.   I think the new 800k rules actually make the income method a more attractive option than money in the bank. contrary to popular belief on TV I actually think encouraging the income method is the preferred option for the powers that be and the 800k option would only remain available (and more controllable) to those who don't have the required monthly income. 

Could that not be an alternative option for you?

But back to your initial problem. You shouldn't have to, but do you know another Thai person (other than your wife who has a BB account at a different branch? Then go, with him, to his branch and start by saying the Au letter isn't an option but your friend will offer his reference as the preferred option right from the start instead of just asking them to state what your options are. The bank has a list of reference options and, if an Au letter or Au bank letter is listed before a friends reference you can never get to it unless you offer the friend option before they look at the list.

I hope this makes sense.

• Thanks 1