LIFETIME VPN ? any good deal ? what VPN do you use from Thailand and how much do you pay ?

myjawe

LIFETIME VPN ? any good deal ? what VPN do you use from Thailand and how much do you pay ?

hello,

do you know any lifetime vpn offer ?

and what VPN do you use from Thailand ? how much ?

I read once that it can happen that Internet is faster through VPN ? it does not seem logic, but is it true ?

thank you.

Your computer will be slower using a VPN,I use Browsec ,google it,

it's not LIFETIME,and i would be suspicious of anyone offering it,

just pay a year at a time, then if something goes wrong get another one.

Browsec very easy to use,has lots of servers and works without fault

to US,UK and Oz, thats all I really use it for,if i remember correctly

something like 2.50 US dollar a month, they also have a free version

with restricted servers.try that first,but it is slower than the full service.

regards worgeordie

regards worgeordie

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Call me a CC but I use the free version without any problems - If I had issues I'd try the upgrade.

Most of the VPN providers I'm familiar with that offer lifetime subscriptions, often at very discounted prices, are marginal providers with some issues -- slow speeds, have bad privacy policies, located in spying/seizure countries like the U.S. and UK, don't have servers that work with Hulu & Amazon Prime, etc etc...

Some of the generally considered better VPN providers include Express VPN and Nord VPN.

I used Astrill for many years and they were quite good, fast and reliable for Thailand, but no longer seem to offer sales/promotions periodically as they used to, and their standard, non-promotion rates are quite high these days.

I'm probably more fussy and demanding about my VPN connections than most customers:

--when a VPN provider offers servers in particular cities, I want that server to actually geolocate in that city (and not somewhere else, which ends up happening quite frequently). Because a lot of the content I deal with is city/region specific, so it matters that my VPN address is recognized as being in the city where the server claims to be located.

--I also want a VPN that offers multiple ways and protocols of connecting, including manual configuration through my wifi router -- and not just only via using their Android or IOS or Windows app. Because sometimes, it's better to use your VPN connection via a router that you know will work with EVERY wifi device you have.

Lately, I tried and ended up subscribing to a very inexpensive service as a backup provider to my main Express VPN subscription called Surfshark that's been surprisingly good... and they pretty much avoid all of the problem issues I cited above. No lifetime plan, but their 2 year promotion right now is very good.

https://www.surfshark.com/

1675624267_2019-05-2218_23_22.jpg.93a65f212b7d2c253255e69e3ca66136.jpg

I should add, there are A LOT of VPN review sites out there when someone is shopping for a new VPN provider. And a lot of them seem to be compromised, in that they recommend whomever pays them or advertises with them.

On the other hand, this VPN review site below seems to be reasonably objective, and also includes user comments at the bottom of their own reviews from people who are or have been actual subscribers with those services, and at times, very negative comments. So you can tell the website is not censoring for that. While not perfect, I've found this website to be very helpful when evaluating different VPN choices.

https://thebestvpn.com/

If you want to check about a particular VPN provider, just type the name in the search box in the upper right corner of the web page, and it will bring up any past reviews the site has done on that particular service. That way you can get a head's up for the various pluses and minuses of each service, including details you may not have thought of on your own.

Another thing is... Thailand is hardly the center of the streaming/internet universe... So when you read that some service may have good speeds in the U.S. or Europe, that doesn't at all mean they're going to have good speeds in Thailand. So I'd always recommend doing a free trial or brief trial with any VPN service FIRST, before entering into any longer-term agreement, just to make sure you're buying into a service that's going to give you the connection you need.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I should add, there are A LOT of VPN review sites out there when someone is shopping for a new VPN provider. And a lot of them seem to be compromised, in that they recommend whomever pays them or advertises with them.

On the other hand, this VPN review site below seems to be reasonably objective, and also includes user comments at the bottom of their own reviews from people who are or have been actual subscribers with those services, and at times, very negative comments. So you can tell the website is not censoring for that. While not perfect, I've found this website to be very helpful when evaluating different VPN choices.

If you want to check about a particular VPN provider, just type the name in the search box in the upper right corner of the web page, and it will bring up any past reviews the site has done on that particular service. That way you can get a head's up for the various pluses and minuses of each service, including details you may not have thought of on your own.

Another thing is... Thailand is hardly the center of the streaming/internet universe... So when you read that some service may have good speeds in the U.S. or Europe, that doesn't at all mean they're going to have good speeds in Thailand. So I'd always recommend doing a free trial or brief trial with any VPN service FIRST, before entering into any longer-term agreement, just to make sure you're buying into a service that's going to give you the connection you need.

Interesting points. So you use region/city specific vpn servers based on your own location needs at the time. So for example. 

If I clicked on a server in Italy and then go to Google.it and type in a search term in Italian due to the location of the VPN it could yield different more local results to my current system of just being on vpn-uk typing in Google.it and entering an Italian phrase?

If not, then how does it benefit?

6 hours ago, Bkkjimbo said:

Interesting points. So you use region/city specific vpn servers based on your own location needs at the time. So for example. 

If I clicked on a server in Italy and then go to Google.it and type in a search term in Italian due to the location of the VPN it could yield different more local results to my current system of just being on vpn-uk typing in Google.it and entering an Italian phrase?

In the U.S. these days, there are quite a few different online/OTT cable TV replacement services...all paid, fully legal and legit... etc etc... And, they give you all the national networks, but also in many cases the local network affiliates for the TV market where you live (or where your computer tells the Internet you live).

Thus, if you're connecting from a NY IP address, you'll get the ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox stations for New York, including local news and even local games from the various major sports.  But if you're connecting with a VPN server that says it's located in NY, but actually shows up via internet geolocation as being in Tennessee, then you're going to get Tenn. locals, affiliates, news, sports... which you may not want or expect...

I dunno if the same kind of inter-country localization issues arise for folks from other countries when it comes to accessing legitimate, legal cable TV content over the Internet.... but it certainly applies for folks from, and services being delivered from, the U.S.

The same geolocation issues do also, as you point out, end up affecting the default Google search results you see and even default language displays... But those two issues are relatively easy to change and adjust in Google even without using a VPN, if those were the only issues one is trying to manage.

I'll give you two examples. If you want to use the BBC iPlayer you will need a VPN using a UK server. It will only work if it detects an IP address from the UK. If you subscribe to Netflix in Thailand you will get the Thai service, but if you use a VPN and use a US server you will get the full US Netflix service with a lot more movies.

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thank you for your posts, so it seems that the cheapest among the 3 best is Surfshark. $50 for 2 years.

29 minutes ago, myjawe said:

Thank you for your posts, so it seems that the cheapest among the 3 best is Surfshark. $50 for 2 years.

VPNs are a tool. And whether any particular tool is going to work well for you depends a lot on what exactly you're trying to accomplish with the tool.

For me, and for making connections to the U.S., Surfshark seems to work well at a very affordable price. But I still keep and use a more expensive Express VPN subscription for a particular tech reason.

I like to run my VPN service via my ASUS wifi router, instead of individually via an app on each different device. There are reasons for that. Given that, Express VPN has an advantage for me in that they allow much faster PPTP and L2TP connections via the built-in VPN client on ASUS routers, whereas Surfshark on routers only allows the slower, but more secure, OpenVPN connections. For me, speed is the priority, so I like to use Express VPN L2TP when I can.

With their apps for various kinds of devices, I believe Surfshark mainly relies on either the Open VPN or IKEv2 protocols for VPN...  I installed their app on a couple of my Windows PCs and tested it on them, but I had some issues with it. So I ended up uninstalling their Windows app and manually configuring Surfshark IKEv2 connections (another fast protocol) on my PCs using Windows networking.  I haven't really much used or tested their Android app thus far.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:42 PM, trd said:

I'll give you two examples. If you want to use the BBC iPlayer you will need a VPN using a UK server. It will only work if it detects an IP address from the UK. If you subscribe to Netflix in Thailand you will get the Thai service, but if you use a VPN and use a US server you will get the full US Netflix service with a lot more movies.

You don't need a VPN when there are other less costly and more reliable alternatives for streaming geographically restricted content.  I have been streaming BBC iPlayer and other UK providers, US TV Networks, Netflix US, VUDU and AUS TV using the same Proxy service over the last 2 years. Just renewed the 2-year subscription that costs me less than 35baht a month. 

You don't need a VPN when there are other less costly and more reliable alternatives for streaming geographically restricted content.  I have been streaming BBC iPlayer and other UK providers, US TV Networks, Netflix US, VUDU and AUS TV using the same Proxy service over the last 2 years. Just renewed the 2-year subscription that costs me less than 35baht a month. 
I tried DNS proxy about a year ago and I didn't get very good results.

2 hours ago, trd said:
2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I tried DNS proxy about a year ago and I didn't get very good results.

One of the issues about DNS proxy services is that they tend to require you have a consistent IP address.... and that doesn't tend to remain the case if your Thai ISP has dynamic IP assignment where every time you restart your PC or modem or wifi router you're likely to get a new/different IP assigned.

In my experience, when that happens, in order to keep the DNS proxy service functioning, you have to log into your DNS proxy provider account and update your account to your latest IP address, or instead, use some kind of parallel service that provides you a consistent IP, even when your ISP is changing theirs.

Another thing about DNS proxy services is they ONLY work with the specific content providers that that particular DNS service has configured. And if you try to use them with any other content provider or site, it's not going to work. So unlike a VPN service, you're pretty well locked into only what your DNS proxy provider specifically supports.

One of the issues about DNS proxy services is that they tend to require you have a consistent IP address.... and that doesn't tend to remain the case if your Thai ISP has dynamic IP assignment where every time you restart your PC or modem or wifi router you're likely to get a new/different IP assigned.

In my experience, when that happens, in order to keep the DNS proxy service functioning, you have to log into your DNS proxy provider account and update your account to your latest IP address, or instead, use some kind of parallel service that provides you a consistent IP, even when your ISP is changing theirs.

Another thing about DNS proxy services is they ONLY work with the specific content providers that that particular DNS service has configured. And if you try to use them with any other content provider or site, it's not going to work. So unlike a VPN service, you're pretty well locked into only what your DNS proxy provider specifically supports.
Okay then so for $2 a month I get a blazing fast VPN that will cover everything with servers in 60 countries. That's about the price of one beer.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:05 AM, tweedledee2 said:

I use Nord  but BBC have recognised I use VPN.  Which VPN do you use ?

21 hours ago, myjawe said:

Nord is supposed to ne the best ?

There is no "best."  There's just a lot of different providers with different prices, different features, different server locations, different levels of customer service, etc etc....

It's all a matter of identifying exactly what you need from a VPN service (what you want it for and how you want to use it), and then finding the VPN service that best meets that need.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:09 PM, oxysong said:

I use Nord  but BBC have recognised I use VPN.  Which VPN do you use ?

I use SaferVPN which have a special STREAMING UK service for UK TV. Very good most of the time.

• 6 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 5:25 AM, bendejo said:

Lifetime means until the company goes out of business.

That could happen a week after you subscribe.

And that can happen with any subscription service (on the internet).

A while ago I paid for a three year subscription at NordVPN for about 73 Euro.

That's an amount that I could write off without too much crying to the pillow.

Never pay more than you can easily write off.

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And that can happen with any subscription service (on the internet).

A while ago I paid for a three year subscription at NordVPN for about 73 Euro.

That's an amount that I could write off without too much crying to the pillow.

Never pay more than you can easily write off.

Learned my lesson some years back, and not online.  My local video rental place (tapes, remember them?) at the time had a deal on 10 rentals for a steep discount, so I took it.  The next week they went out of business.

Why would you be looking to buy any technology for a lifetime?

I previously used Nord and it's quite good, but have switched to Express which I consider to be better. It's more expensive, but by linking to a Singapore server my speeds have increased dramatically. I no longer have buffering problems with tv program downloads.

Archived