BANGKOK 19 June 2019 06:17

Anyone else thinking this way?  Cheaper. Friendlier.  English.  Better health care.  Yeah, there's no good longterm visa options.  However, you can just get a five year multiple entry tourism visa and go home for two months once a year to avoid overstays.

Run away from all of the problems and it's not even that far away.  Am I deluded here?  Has anyone else tried this yet here?

Thanks.

• Haha 2

What is it about India that actually attracts you? It seems quite different than Thailand especially regarding nightlife, bars, etc.

• Thanks 1

When you say you need to go home, that could mean anyplace outside India, right?

I looked into it years ago but I think the visa possibilities changed since then. 

10 months a year isn't so bad. 

5 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What is it about India that actually attracts you? It seems quite different than Thailand especially regarding nightlife, bars, etc.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just letting you know where I stand on this issue.  I'm not like most expats here.

I am dynamically opposed to the bar scene in thailand.  If it were up to me nana, soi cowboy, walking street, all of it would be overpriced hotels for Chinese tourists and condos etc.  I can't stand bar girls and I can't drink alcohol anymore due to poor health.

I like good health care, low cost of living, and that's about it.  Its ok here in isan but I've got major health issues that even the docs in bangkok can't assist with anymore.  And immigration is just annoying here.

My experience with india is just hot and cheap.  Completely immersed in cultural heritage but more westernized than thailand in lots of ways.  Maybe a little grimy in some areas.  All ok with me.  I haven't stayed long enough to have more of an impression of the place, I guess.  I guess I should do that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

When you say you need to go home, that could mean anyplace outside India, right?

I looked into it years ago but I think the visa possibilities changed since then. 

10 months a year isn't so bad. 

Exactly.  If your craving for thailand strikes you could easily buy a cheap tourism visa here.

2 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

It's getting more and more ridiculous.  No more income affidavits,  four hundred and eight hundred in a thai bank.  Lots of people are getting cranky, it's all I hear about with expats these days it seems.

Totally agree. To many of us, Thai immigration has gone too far and at the very least it's time to seriously look at Plans B and even Plans C.

I've never even been to India. 
I assume there are pros and cons.

Pros such as English spoken and the food if you like the food, which I do.

Cons such as ridiculous crowding and pollution in the bigger cities.

But it's a very big country.

Other then the must leave thing for that 5 year thing, what are the other requirements?

The question is where to stay in India? And would you be caught up in their tax system? 

I’ve been to Delhi several times, on business trips, nice hotels, driver, etc. I’m not sure I’d like to do it as a backpacker type. 

• Like 1

Indian women have bigger boobs

• Haha 1

https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/tourist-visa

Apparently Americans who aren't of Indian origin may apply for the ten year visa but if you are of Indian descent you must apply for the ten year.  Confusing.

Everything else is shockingly lenient.  From what I've heard you will have to go through a more thorough biometrics system on the ten year than what you are used to with thailand.  

Aha. So you have to leave every 6 months. That's what I remember from before. But can't you just come back in a few days?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app