India alternative

5 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I've decided that Thailand is not for me.  I am moving to India next year. 

Places I will visit when looking for a more permanent place to reside:

Noida

Jaisalmer

Goa

Kerala

Kasol/Melana/Tosh

Kolkata

I'll report back here what I think.  If India won't allow us to stay pay 6 months then we will hit up other SE Asian countries to reset the clock and head back.  From what I have heard, though, immigration police will help you stay, if you ask.  Especially if you do not work.  How true is this, really? 

Positive vibes

Noida is just New Delhi's suburbia. Might be a comfortable (with caveats) place for expats to stay, but no soul to speak of. If checking future prospect for relocation, maybe yes. Otherwise, utter waste of time.

Kolkata is yet another place I'd skip - in terms of sightseeing or a place to call home, it doesn't stack up well against other options.

Have a great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, taxout said:

No guaranty and the situation could change in any event, but my impression is that if you're one of the lucky nationalities that qualifies for a 180-day stay per entry on your visa, Immigration does not raise a fuss if you stay the full 180 days. Unless of course you were working. Or unless your landlord didn't file Form C with the police registering your address (they now see your Form C filings when you exit India). Whatever, never ever overstay in India, even by one hour. You won't go to jail, but the bureaucracy to untangle the mess could take weeks.

As I mentioned in another thread here, I think Kerala makes a good base. Calcutta is fascinating to visit, maybe spend a month soaking up the atmosphere. But settling down there long term might be a difficult adjustment.

If health care is important, Calcutta and Delhi do have lots of first-class medical options, but Cochin and Trivandrum also have some very good international hospitals. Still, if you haven't spent time in India before, then Indian hospitals, even the most highly-rated, will require an open attitude.

Which nationalities qualify for the 180 day stamp?  I am trying to find a comprehensive list.  I want to know if someone else is also eligible.

Edited by SenorJorge

For evisas now, Americans, Britons, Japanese and Canadians get one-year multiple-entry evisas permiting a stay of up to 180 days per entry. For others, the evisa is now 90 days per entry. (I stress now because there's been a recent change.)

Edited by taxout
  • Thanks 1

Just now, taxout said:

For evisas now, Americans, Britons, Japanese and Canadians get one-year multiple-entry evisas permittiing a stay of up to 180 days per entry. For others, the evisa is now 90 days per entry. (I stress now because there's been a recent change.)

Oh okay.  You are talking about the e-visa.  She is Thai. We decided to meet and talk things over in India.  Can she apply for a 180 day visa in person at the embassy in Bangkok or Laos?

Really? I have the impression that paper visas permiting a 180-day stay are, like 180-day stay evisas, available only to citizens of the UK, the US, Japan and Canada. But perhaps the policy has changed. It's very difficult to get current correct information on Indian visa practices.

Normally you can apply for an Indian visa outside your home country, but you have to wait a bit longer and pay more. This practice may vary at different embassies, though.

i wish you all the best, as i absolutely despise india and think it's the worst country on planet earth i have only one tip for you: Eat as much charcoal tablets till your dump turns green.

I hope you were upfront with your wife and mentioned that it's an absolute hellhole for women: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/jun/28/poll-ranks-india-most-dangerous-country-for-women

Edited by ThomasThBKK

I've heard that with really all of us, it's up to the discretion of the guy stamping the passports at the airport how many days to stamp your passport with.  I think with a lot UK and us travelers they just give us the 180 days.  With other nationalities they're probably a bit more careful.  Our relationship has been very rocky.  Maybe we can talk things over in "neutral territory" for a few months and go back to Hua hin.  I have no idea how my life is going to go.  Things gone so out of hand with my health and relationship that I had to leave thailand.  We shall see.

Some people just have weak stomachs.  There are antibiotics for travelers diahrea if t doesn't resolve on its own

3 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

I've heard that with really all of us, it's up to the discretion of the guy stamping the passports at the airport how many days to stamp your passport with.  I think with a lot UK and us travelers they just give us the 180 days.  With other nationalities they're probably a bit more careful.

Personally have never seen any limitation on time allowed for both myself and the Thai missus and she has been to India 8 times.

I'm sure you are correct in what you say but if you are just an occasional visitor I very much doubt you will be given anything less than the maximum length of stay that the visa allows.

• Thanks 1

India immigration doesn't stamp you in for a period of permitted stay. That's determined by the validity of your visa.

Now, your visa may well have a notice at the bottom that "registration" is required if your continuous stay in India exceeds 30 or 90 or 180 days (depending on your particular visa). But that doesn't really mean what it seems to say -- that you can easily stay longer if only you "register" -- because the FRO/FRRO almost never accepts such registrations from tourists. Not worth even trying. In fact, the notice means you can't stay longer than that period (or the expiry of your visa, if shorter).

My good guess is that you should assume your friend will have a 90-day stay, and with luck a one-year multiple-entry visa so that visa runs are practicable. Note that if your friend gets a single-entry visa, it may run for 90 days beginning with the date of issue, so the actual permitted period of stay of India will be shorter, depending on the date of arrival.

Don't forget what I said here elsewhere: because of the weather it's not practical to live in India much more than seven months/year or so anyway, at least for most foreigners.

Edited by taxout
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SenorJorge said:

<snip> Our relationship has been very rocky.  Maybe we can talk things over in "neutral territory" for a few months and go back to Hua hin.  I have no idea how my life is going to go.  Things gone so out of hand with my health and relationship that I had to leave thailand.  We shall see. 

Some people just have weak stomachs.  There are antibiotics for travelers diahrea if t doesn't resolve on its own 

I hope you can sort your relationship, but IMO, India isn't the best of places for that. Not for first time visitors, anyway. Too overwhelming, too much stress.

Most people I know who had digestion issues weren't careful about the water (the ice thing...) or went too adventurous too fast. Takes a while to figure what's safe to eat and where. And as an aside, if you're using any medicine regularly and carrying them with you, do print a prescription - can save lots of trouble.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Morch said:

I hope you can sort your relationship, but IMO, India isn't the best of places for that. Not for first time visitors, anyway. Too overwhelming, too much stress.

A short story.....Back in 83 I lived in Bangkok and my relationship was in severe trouble due to my drinking. Wife gives me an ultimatum which led to us walking into a travel agents and I simply told the bloke that we needed to get away to somewhere special where I could get off the sauce. Kashmir says he (he was Indian heritage) and he booked us up for 3 weeks without us asking a single question and we had a great time staying on a houseboat on Nagin lake smoking and trout fishing.

So India can be the place but you have to be selective. If your missus is strong on the Buddhist front then research Leh, Ladakh.

Best of luck

52 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

A short story.....Back in 83 I lived in Bangkok and my relationship was in severe trouble due to my drinking. Wife gives me an ultimatum which led to us walking into a travel agents and I simply told the bloke that we needed to get away to somewhere special where I could get off the sauce. Kashmir says he (he was Indian heritage) and he booked us up for 3 weeks without us asking a single question and we had a great time staying on a houseboat on Nagin lake smoking and trout fishing.

So India can be the place but you have to be selective. If your missus is strong on the Buddhist front then research Leh, Ladakh.

Best of luck

We actually already talked about going on some Buddhist pilgrimages.

We plan on staying out of the thick of it as much as possible and taking life slowly and less seriously.  Its time to put the past in the past and create new memories somewhere else.

I actually do love the desert and the scenery.  I do some volunteer work on the computer and a lot of reading. I've never required my surroundings to be "bustling" at all - I think Jaisalmer would work for me just fine.   I am just not so sure about her.  We can try it out for a week and see what she thinks.

Jaisalmer is a unique place and consider taking the overnight train from Delhi but problem is it's isolated and if one of you decides it's not to their liking then you will likely end up back tracking to Delhi. Sure there's plenty else in Rajasthan but the likes of Jaipur and Jodhpur are full on and Udaipur is a shell of its former self but your decision and best of luck with it.

Thats why I am thinking that Jaisalmer and Kasol are good places to reset our relationship.  They're isolated and outside of the necessities of life don't have a whole lot.  We both need a cold reset.  The fact that I've got her to agree to meet me in a neutral third country is pretty good on its own.  Especially a place like India.  Its not exactly Dubai,

9 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

Thats why I am thinking that Jaisalmer and Kasol are good places to reset our relationship.  They're isolated and outside of the necessities of life don't have a whole lot.  We both need a cold reset.  The fact that I've got her to agree to meet me in a neutral third country is pretty good on its own.  Especially a place like India.  Its not exactly Dubai,

Neither is really "isolated". Packed with tourists (foreign and Indian) during the season. Not quite pristine.

43 minutes ago, Morch said:

Neither is really "isolated". Packed with tourists (foreign and Indian) during the season. Not quite pristine.

300kms to Jodhpur which is nearest city of any size to Jaisalmer makes it pretty isolated and there's only Pakistan beyond but I agree it's certainly not deserted. 

1 hour ago, Mahseer said:

300kms to Jodhpur which is nearest city of any size to Jaisalmer makes it pretty isolated and there's only Pakistan beyond but I agree it's certainly not deserted. 

It's a small town, it's packed with tourists, and they all go to about ticking the same sightseeing lists. For "isolated", as in peaceful, less crowds and such, one needs to go a bit further afield. This means a bit of research, and the option of either paying much more, or foregoing some basics and perks. 

This applies to almost any major tourist site in India. Certainly the ones listed. With regard to Rajasthan, I'd say it's easier to get that "isolated" feeling (for a price) in other places.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:35 AM, SenorJorge said:

We actually already talked about going on some Buddhist pilgrimages.

We plan on staying out of the thick of it as much as possible and taking life slowly and less seriously.  Its time to put the past in the past and create new memories somewhere else.

I actually do love the desert and the scenery.  I do some volunteer work on the computer and a lot of reading. I've never required my surroundings to be "bustling" at all - I think Jaisalmer would work for me just fine.   I am just not so sure about her.  We can try it out for a week and see what she thinks.

I guess you already know about Deer Park at Sarnath, near Varanasi? A lot of Thai tourists go there to see the site of Buddha's first sermon, so Thai food is available in the area, an essential requirement for many Thais .... maybe a good place to start off rather than straight in to the maelstrom of places like Kolkata, Delhi or Mumbai.

Don’t know that I could handle living in Jaiselmer full time, ok for tourists for a few days. Darjeeling is nice, or Kerala. India is so big and varied that if you can handle living out of a suitcase you could spend years traveling around it.

Feeling hedonistic ? Head to Goa.

Feeling spiritual ? Head to Dharamsala.

• Like 1

Most expats have left, many have come here due to visa hassles. It's chaotic and dirty. I can only handle it for 2-3 months at a time.

It's just old hippies. No real expat community. Maybe Goa and to a lesser extent Himachal Pradesh.

7 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Most expats have left, many have come here due to visa hassles. 

India to Thailand right? If so incorrect as it's never been easier to spend a year in India courtesy of the recently improved e visa. 

All but a very privileged few can really afford to stay in Thailand.  Many are going to be leaving.  400 and 800k in a Thai bank is not something the average us pensioner anyway can afford.  If you have a real RETIREMENT FUND and not a pension sure it's easy.  Your average retiree (or even foreign spouse) in se Asia has no such luxury.  It's cheaper and easier just to live on tourist visas in your suitcase.  

• Confused 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2019 at 6:27 AM, Mahseer said:

My personal favourites? Love Leh in the summer, Spiti area for exploring and Kashmir for trout fishing but all are seriously cold in winter.

In Spiti it does get icy-cold during winters but winter has its charm. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:19 PM, SenorJorge said:

No more income affidavits,

Does this mean that you do not meet requirements legally and can no longer lie about it... so, you and others are angry at authorities for uncovering your lie and calling you on it? 

I was there long ago as a backpacker on the cheap... it was dirty and disgusting. I never returned nor wanted to... followed through the streets by beggars I could not take a walk...

To answer your question... no way Jorge... 

but good luck to you.

21 hours ago, pawanranta said:

In Spiti it does get icy-cold during winters but winter has its charm. 

Just looked at your 4x4 winter Spiti trip and that's certainly one facet of India that the vast majority will never see. Love Spiti and sincerely hope 2021 will see the doors open once more but '22 would be more realistic.

Great stuff.

• Like 2

About the only place that I would consider civilized in India is the north-east, which also happens to be the least culturally "Indian." Gangtok is livable, but has/had almost no expats.

Also consider Sri Lanka. The GDP per capita is higher and boy does it show. Much less conservative culture. Excellent p4p mongering scene. The women look just like Indians, but are friendlier and more humble. Nice beaches and less greasy food. And, the Sinhala are Buddhist. Visas are easy and you can own freehold condos.

Edited by themechanic