Repatriating back to Australia single dad

Kenny202

Moved here about 5 years ago to be with what I thought was my forever girl. Sold everything in Australia, left a very good job etc and here I am. Bought vehicles, furniture (in my name). Plan was to complete my GF's home in the village to a comfortable little place for us. Dropped about 40k AUD on that, not the end of the world. As many of us have learnt, the forever girl quickly turned into a nightmare. Persevered with her for a few years but was unbearable. I won't go into details here. Financially I kept my head but emotionally one of the worst Thai / Farang stories you would have heard. Anyway she left me with a child. Unbeknownst to me when I came here the child was the fourth one she'd had and abandoned at 28yo. Absolute train wreck of a history. Anyway, I quickly got back on my feet. Have a new girl I have been with 2 years who is great. I adore my son so no regrets and not looking for sympathy. I am 56yo and my son 3yo. He Thai born but an Aussie citizen.

I liked living here and still do to a point but I must say the shine is starting to wear off. The heat has been unbearable this year. Everything seems to be just that little bit harder to do, dollar is falling continuously and baht amazingly seems to retain its strength in spite of every reason not too. The cost of living seems to be creeping up slowly but surely and Immigration seem to be slowly dragging the welcome mat back.

Financially I am ok. Not wealthy by any means but comfortable and probably well set up to spend the rest of my life here, albeit carefully. My super kicks in at 58yo, or at least I can access some of it and this would be a good time for me to make a move if I indeed choose to do so. I'd have enough super to support myself maybe 5 years at best in Australia without working or starting a business, which may be difficult. Pension for me doesn't kick in until I am 67 I believe.

Have any single dads here made the move back? The thought of selling up again here and starting again in Australia, not to mention the expense makes me feel sick. Coming here I lost so much money selling everything for next to nothing in Oz then turning around and paying full price for everything to start new again here. 

What is the situation in Australia now? It would be very likely I would have to be on some unemployment benefit in the short, maybe long term. I assume there would be supplements / benefits for my child, maybe rent assistance etc. I remember some time back basically if you were over 50yo in Australia they didn't even expect you to look for a job. Do you qualify for this if you have Superannuation or money in the bank? I won't have a great deal of money in the bank in 2 years, unless I draw a lump sum out of my super. Only thinking out aloud at the moment but like I said, the novelty of living in Thailand starting to wear off a bit and hard to ignore benefits like free medical and better schooling for my son, not to mention some family support etc. Appreciate any advice particularly from someone who has moved back with a child.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newstart is pretty grim. Rent assistance will help some what but I wouldn't want to be living in oz on $300 a week not including rent expenses. even the cheapest granny flat in a small town and with rent assistance you might have $200 a week to live on

Payment rates
Your circumstances Your maximum fortnightly payment
Single, no children, 18 or older and need to live away from parent's home $455.20
Single, with children $596.50
Member of a couple, with no children $455.20
Member of a couple, with children $499.90

Parenting Payment is available until child is 8 years old if single, 6 years old if couple.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$776.10 F/n (single)

Newstart is available with a child 6/8 to 16 years old.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$601.10 F/n (single)

Newstart has liquid assets test, there can be up to 13 weeks waiting period.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631

If entitled, rent allowance is $161.14 F/n.

Superannuation in the accumulation phase will not be income/asset tested.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Newstart is pretty grim. Rent assistance will help some what but I wouldn't want to be living in oz on $300 a week not including rent expenses. even the cheapest granny flat in a small town and with rent assistance you might have $200 a week to live on

I agree, living in Australia on only welfare is living in poverty!

I went through something similar, only in a different country.  My advice is to tell you, as crazy and upside down life is, you will make it.  Everything happens for a reason.  As for leaving Thailand, it's NOT the only option.  Life is not, Thailand or Australia.  There are many options/countries, don't restrict yourself.  You are the master of your destiny. good luck.

59 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Parenting Payment is available until child is 8 years old if single, 6 years old if couple.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$776.10 F/n (single)

Newstart is available with a child 6/8 to 16 years old.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$601.10 F/n (single)

Newstart has liquid assets test, there can be up to 13 weeks waiting period.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631

If entitled, rent allowance is $161.14 F/n.

Superannuation in the accumulation phase will not be income/asset tested.

So Parenting payment or newstart but not both right? looks like parenting payment pays better by a bit so how do you get that  over newstart ?

With the greatest respect... Nothing new here.

I read as far as you saying .."No regrets, I love my son" (or words to that effect)

That makes you a blessed and lucky person in my eyes.....many would give their right arm to have a beautiful child of their own.

OP, you mention a new girlfriend of 2 years, what happens to her in a move back to Australia ?

I have to question how you intended to fund your current life in Thailand, let alone a life back in Australia. If the plan was to draw down savings and super until the pension. You can do that in Thailand or Australia.

11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I remember some time back basically if you were over 50yo in Australia they didn't even expect you to look for a job. Do you qualify for this if you have Superannuation or money in the bank?

The first statement is rubbish. My brother-in-law was "let go" 8 months shy of his 65th birthday a couple of years ago and Centrelink insisted in him undertaking job search related activities. You can access your superannuation at age 55 but that would mean forgoing Newstart - ditto money in the bank above some sort of ludicrously small amount. And remember you have to be back in Australia for two years before you can apply for the pension at age 65 or whatever it is for your DOB if you've been living abroad

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

The first statement is rubbish. My brother-in-law was "let go" 8 months shy of his 65th birthday a couple of years ago and Centrelink insisted in him undertaking job search related activities. You can access your superannuation at age 55 but that would mean forgoing Newstart - ditto money in the bank above some sort of ludicrously small amount. And remember you have to be back in Australia for two years before you can apply for the pension at age 65 or whatever it is for your DOB if you've been living abroad

The OP is right about access to super they added years a couple of years ago, born before 1960 its 55, born 1961 it 56, 1962 its 57 etc. So if OP is born 1963 he has to be 58 to get super. (any super prior to 60 year old is taxed)

Also they have newstart program now if you are over 60 and do some volunteer work (i think its 10 hours a fortnight) you dont have to look for work.

The asset test for newstart is $400k and money still in a super-fund isnt counted. you dont have to spend your savings to get newstart.

image.png.f645bd9ee435428db086c8c9e925ec04.png

You can apply and get the pension without the 2 years, the 2 years is to do with whether you can take it overseas. You can arrive the day before your 65th birthday apply and get the pension the next day, you just cant take it overseas for another 2 years.

Surely you would be better off staying here. If you can do a teaching qualification and get a teaching job at a govt' uni or school here you would then qualify to get free social security health ins' here (400 baht a month for life). After 60 yrs old perhaps start a small business with your wife. In issan you might find it easy to get a job at a govt uni where you will not need a teachers license. 

I would not move back to the nanny state. It will be incredibly expensive. Everything adds up there. Bills are out of control there. 

I wish you the best of luck. At your age you should be careful not to impregnate your new gf. It sounds like you are not financially strong enough. 

3 hours ago, justin case said:

please report your whole story... then I can compare to mine...

I don't know what more I can tell you? If your talking financials etc PM me. Other wise let me know what more you need to know. Would be interested to here your story

10 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Not being from OZ, I'm not up on all the government options available to you.  However, your son will definitely have a better life growing up in a western nation when compared to Thailand.

I'm a bit on the fence about that. As far as education yes definitely better in Australia and maybe more opportunities but I spent the latter part of my middle years basing all of my life around children's education, private schools etc and not one of my children picked up the ball. Was a waste of money and effort really. A lot of that depends on the kid. Funnily enough they are all doing well now. After leaving school with poor results 2 went through all the hoops to qualify for Uni and both have medical degrees now and study junkies. And as far as better quality of life.....sitting in traffic every morning, to go and sit in an office or otherwise chained to a job you hate for the rest of your life, then retire and die...albeit with a lot of toys and assets, not sure that's the good life. Don't forget he has Aussie citizenship so he can take advantages of all of those opportunities later on. Life here is good in many ways. For some anyway. Why very hard for Thais to live in another country. My son being half Aussie / Thai and pretty much looking 100% farang will definitely have an advantage. 

11 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I agree, living in Australia on only welfare is living in poverty!

Yes it certainly looks like that. My best bet if returning to Australia would be to try and start some sort of business but would have to be a guaranteed winner or I'd be even further up Sh%&$T creek. It does look like you can hang onto your super though and maybe use that as a supplement or take a monthly pension from super

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

With the greatest respect... Nothing new here.

I read as far as you saying .."No regrets, I love my son" (or words to that effect)

That makes you a blessed and lucky person in my eyes.....many would give their right arm to have a beautiful child of their own.

Not really sure what your point is but yes very happy to have my son and I am lucky. I am not in a bad position at all nor am I complaining just weighing up options. However having a child does come with an extra responsibility and giving my right arm won't pay the rent in the future

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you mention a new girlfriend of 2 years, what happens to her in a move back to Australia ?

I have to question how you intended to fund your current life in Thailand, let alone a life back in Australia. If the plan was to draw down savings and super until the pension. You can do that in Thailand or Australia.

About me and the current GF my concern, a whole different post and wont be rising to the bait. You do not know our situation nor how long we have been together etc so please don't start banging on about that. With all due respect it's not my immediate concern and to be honest none of your business.  

I have funds invested in Australia which I already mentioned would be how I intend to fund my life in Thailand. Also GF has a business we are just getting off the ground may or may not succeed. You must realise funding a life in Thailand is at least a quarter of the cost of living in Australia. Advantage of being in Australia I can work, start a business...obtain government benefits now and in the future. Downside is should I start a business etc and it fail....I have enough to fund at least 20 years living here. Probably about enough to fund living in Australia 4 or 5 years at best. And what then. A life on the dole or the pension, all super and savings gone. Just weighing everything up now. Advantages to both

I am in Australia now on a long holiday. All I can tell you is you are shoveling shit up a hill if you do not have your own house. Rent is pretty crazy. Australia is a great country but with limited funds, it would be hard. The costs for staple foods is not expensive but everything else that goes with it all is difficult. At least you and your child's health care costs in Australia would be covered and a much better education system. 

I wish you the best.

56 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

Surely you would be better off staying here. If you can do a teaching qualification and get a teaching job at a govt' uni or school here you would then qualify to get free social security health ins' here (400 baht a month for life). After 60 yrs old perhaps start a small business with your wife. In issan you might find it easy to get a job at a govt uni where you will not need a teachers license. 

I would not move back to the nanny state. It will be incredibly expensive. Everything adds up there. Bills are out of control there. 

I wish you the best of luck. At your age you should be careful not to impregnate your new gf. It sounds like you are not financially strong enough. 

Getting a teaching job isn't quite as easy as it used to be. I don't have a degree for a start although these can be obtained I believe. Certainly a government school I don't think these days will employ a teacher without a teaching qualification or at the very least a degree. TEFL doesn't cut it I don't think unless you get a job with a small English teaching school and then you wont get a work permit / teachers license without a degree. At least thats my take on the current situation please correct me if I am wrong. A few of my friends are teachers and many of them seem to be having endless issues getting their pay on time, pay reductions etc and does appear to me they are being squeezed out. Some schools do seem to be favouring Filipino teachers as they work at a rate close to Thai teachers. I think if I was going to go back to work I would choose employment in Australia over being a teacher in Thailand

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

It would appear that at least 3 of your statements are rubbish

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

About me and the current GF my concern, a whole different post and wont be rising to the bait. You do not know our situation nor how long we have been together etc so please don't start banging on about that. With all due respect it's not my immediate concern and to be honest none of your business.  

I have funds invested in Australia which I already mentioned would be how I intend to fund my life in Thailand. Also GF has a business we are just getting off the ground may or may not succeed. You must realise funding a life in Thailand is at least a quarter of the cost of living in Australia. Advantage of being in Australia I can work, start a business...obtain government benefits now and in the future. Downside is should I start a business etc and it fail....I have enough to fund at least 20 years living here. Probably about enough to fund living in Australia 4 or 5 years at best. And what then. A life on the dole or the pension, all super and savings gone. Just weighing everything up now. Advantages to both

I wasnt meaning to pry or bait, just pointing out a factor you appeared to overlook in weighing up your options. I imagine your current GF may be somewhat of a mother figure to your son etc, or a big expense to take the GF to Australia etc. It was more a suggestion to help you compare apple with apples.

Hmmm.... I agree with your observation that Thailand has taken back the welcome mat. I think that us “aliens “ have never been welcome and I no longer go there as a result. They only want your money so I suggest you move away from this situation

20 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I am 56yo and my son 3yo. He Thai born but an Aussie citizen.

i am 63 and my son 8yo. He is Thai born but a Brit citizen.

So same game but I'm a little further down the road. I'm trying to hold out here as my kids prospects are far better than my former kids back in the UK. It isn't a good time to be living in the west as far as I can see. At least here he has a chance of his own house and a relatively happy and carefree life free of educational debt.

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I wasnt meaning to pry or bait, just pointing out a factor you appeared to overlook in weighing up your options. I imagine your current GF may be somewhat of a mother figure to your son etc, or a big expense to take the GF to Australia etc. It was more a suggestion to help you compare apple with apples.

You honestly think I don't have that under consideration or simply "overlooked" it? I hope I don't come across as that stupid. Of course it figures highly in my final decision but like I said now looking for facts on the viability of living in Australia again. An actual move, should I decide to go that way would be two years away. The way our dollar is falling and the baht holding steady it may be difficult for many of us to live here in the not too distant future. I remember being shocked when a guy told me he was around when they were getting 14 baht for a dollar many years ago. We're not that far away from it now   

15 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

And as far as better quality of life.....sitting in traffic every morning, to go and sit in an office or otherwise chained to a job you hate for the rest of your life, then retire and die...

Amen to that, brother. On the one hand it would of course be good for the kid should you go back to Oz, though going later would keep him connected with Thailand also. It does seem like there's been more of a concerted effort to squeeze out the long-term farang contingent of late... almost as if it's been purposefully made expensive by the knobs currently 'ruining' the place. Visa wise, other than retirement, believe you can get an extension of stay based on parent of Thai kid...

All the best

Archived