BANGKOK 18 June 2019 10:01
Kenny202

Repatriating back to Australia single dad

Posted (edited)

Newstart is pretty grim. Rent assistance will help some what but I wouldn't want to be living in oz on $300 a week not including rent expenses. even the cheapest granny flat in a small town and with rent assistance you might have $200 a week to live on

Payment rates
Your circumstances Your maximum fortnightly payment
Single, no children, 18 or older and need to live away from parent's home $455.20
Single, with children $596.50
Member of a couple, with no children $455.20
Member of a couple, with children $499.90
Edited by madmen

Posted (edited)

Parenting Payment is available until child is 8 years old if single, 6 years old if couple.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$776.10 F/n (single)

Newstart is available with a child 6/8 to 16 years old.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$601.10 F/n (single)

Newstart has liquid assets test, there can be up to 13 weeks waiting period.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631

If entitled, rent allowance is $161.14 F/n.

Superannuation in the accumulation phase will not be income/asset tested.

Edited by LosLobo

59 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Parenting Payment is available until child is 8 years old if single, 6 years old if couple.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$776.10 F/n (single)

Newstart is available with a child 6/8 to 16 years old.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$601.10 F/n (single)

Newstart has liquid assets test, there can be up to 13 weeks waiting period.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631

If entitled, rent allowance is $161.14 F/n.

Superannuation in the accumulation phase will not be income/asset tested.

So Parenting payment or newstart but not both right? looks like parenting payment pays better by a bit so how do you get that  over newstart ?

Yes not both.
Your child needs to be under 6 or 8 years depending if you're partnered or not.

So Parenting payment or newstart but not both right? looks like parenting payment pays better by a bit so how do you get that  over newstart ?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

please report your whole story... then I can compare to mine...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OP, you mention a new girlfriend of 2 years, what happens to her in a move back to Australia ?

I have to question how you intended to fund your current life in Thailand, let alone a life back in Australia. If the plan was to draw down savings and super until the pension. You can do that in Thailand or Australia.

Edited by Peterw42

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I remember some time back basically if you were over 50yo in Australia they didn't even expect you to look for a job. Do you qualify for this if you have Superannuation or money in the bank?

The first statement is rubbish. My brother-in-law was "let go" 8 months shy of his 65th birthday a couple of years ago and Centrelink insisted in him undertaking job search related activities. You can access your superannuation at age 55 but that would mean forgoing Newstart - ditto money in the bank above some sort of ludicrously small amount. And remember you have to be back in Australia for two years before you can apply for the pension at age 65 or whatever it is for your DOB if you've been living abroad

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

The first statement is rubbish. My brother-in-law was "let go" 8 months shy of his 65th birthday a couple of years ago and Centrelink insisted in him undertaking job search related activities. You can access your superannuation at age 55 but that would mean forgoing Newstart - ditto money in the bank above some sort of ludicrously small amount. And remember you have to be back in Australia for two years before you can apply for the pension at age 65 or whatever it is for your DOB if you've been living abroad

The OP is right about access to super they added years a couple of years ago, born before 1960 its 55, born 1961 it 56, 1962 its 57 etc. So if OP is born 1963 he has to be 58 to get super. (any super prior to 60 year old is taxed)

Also they have newstart program now if you are over 60 and do some volunteer work (i think its 10 hours a fortnight) you dont have to look for work.

The asset test for newstart is $400k and money still in a super-fund isnt counted. you dont have to spend your savings to get newstart.

image.png.f645bd9ee435428db086c8c9e925ec04.png

You can apply and get the pension without the 2 years, the 2 years is to do with whether you can take it overseas. You can arrive the day before your 65th birthday apply and get the pension the next day, you just cant take it overseas for another 2 years.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Not being from OZ, I'm not up on all the government options available to you.  However, your son will definitely have a better life growing up in a western nation when compared to Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, justin case said:

please report your whole story... then I can compare to mine...

I don't know what more I can tell you? If your talking financials etc PM me. Other wise let me know what more you need to know. Would be interested to here your story