Repatriating back to Australia single dad

Kenny202

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Robert Gottliebsen in today's 'Australian':

"In the wake of the surprise May 18 election result Australia is experiencing one of the biggest sudden stimulations in its peacetime history.

"The Chinese realise Australia’s outlook has changed and have created a surge of buying that has skyrocketed Sydney apartment prices by 10 per cent in just two weeks.

"As I talk with east coast home builders and land developers, they all say the same thing----there is a rush of buyer interest which is being converted to orders.

"All the banks are seeing a big rise in loan inquiries —at the Commonwealth Bank it’s spectacular---and banks, as I pointed out this week, have eased the credit squeeze so loan approvals are set to rise sharply. Auction clearance rates are rising and the demand for cruises has suddenly recovered.

"These fundamental changes will soon spread throughout the economy (retail will take longer) and the Reserve Bank should delay next week’s planned interest rate reduction. Its pre-May 18 economic data is about the past and does not reflect this dramatic turnaround."

I read the opposite here :   May 30 2019.

"Growth in the economy was subdued, reflecting soft household spending and a decline in dwelling investment," ABS chief economist Bruce Hockman said.

and ... Australia's economy just entered recession on a per capita basis.

Thursday, 30 May 2019 Australian housing struggles to rebound.

The fallout is weighing on weak inflation and consumer spending in an economy that’s already slowed enough to warrant a likely interest-rate cut next month.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Time will tell. Let's continue this learned discussion in 3 months.

yes ,  it's just not looking as rosy as they make it out to be imo. And i'm looking to buy in rural nsw or qld either an older house or 2 or 3 units or a shop there and I don't really know what to do. When I see several unit blocks for sale in the same town I would worry, as for a shop I guess if it's got tenants then that's a start with less risk, and the older house or houses don't bring in much rent either, probably lucky to get 220/pw .

On 5/31/2019 at 7:13 PM, steven100 said:

yes ,  it's just not looking as rosy as they make it out to be imo. And i'm looking to buy in rural nsw or qld either an older house or 2 or 3 units or a shop there and I don't really know what to do. When I see several unit blocks for sale in the same town I would worry, as for a shop I guess if it's got tenants then that's a start with less risk, and the older house or houses don't bring in much rent either, probably lucky to get 220/pw .

Just remember a couple of things, with all the legislative changes to tenancy laws, leases are virtually worth nothing, e.g. did you know a tenant could up and leave under financial hardship, lost job, business doing bad, or emotional hardship, i.e. the break up of a relationship, your investment if in a rural town just went south as vacancy factors are up there, well so I have read.

If your going to be living in Thailand and a non resident, property would be your worst enemy in Australia, the taxes make it not worth having a property, just saying out a loud in case you didn't know.

Page 7 of a newspaper today from the “Lucky Country”....

EZEKIEL Mbuto cannot afford electricity for a heater.

Faced with three shivering children he resorted to lighting charcoals in the loungeroom of his sparsely furnished Sydney unit.

It was a decision which could have cost him, his children Byaombe, 6, Angel, 3, and Happy, 1, and his pregnant partner their lives with the family taken to Liverpool hospital on Monday with carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Mbutos are among a growing number of people unable to afford their power bills and are instead resorting to dangerous methods of keeping warm, charities say.

Thousands of others are having their power cut each month for failing to pay their bills and debt to energy companies has reached record levels over $1000 per debtor.

“My kids were shaking it was so cold so I started three coals and once they were on fire I put more on,” the Congolese immigrant said.

“After about four hours my eldest boy, Byaombe, fell ill, he started vomiting. I started to feel a headache, a strong one, my youngest girl Happy started to vomit too.

“I started to worry … and then I called an ambulance.”

The family were on oxygen and a drip for six hours.

Mr Mbuto said he burnt the charcoal, which costs $4.50 a kilogram, because he couldn’t afford to use an electric heater, which costs about 56c an hour to run.

He recently lost his job in a burger bun factory in Brisbane and moved to Sydney to find work. When the family moved to Australia six years ago they lived in Coffs Harbour and were stung by power prices.

“We had a massive electricity bill in the winter,” he said. “We never had bills up to $1000 but from that time it was $1400.”

While he looks for work he is receiving $400 a fortnight from Centrelink which stretches only as far as his children’s needs and rent.

New data shows that NSW households in debt to energy providers now owe an average of $1016, up from $889 in just a year.

And in the last three months of 2018, 6861 homes had their power cut-off up from 6382 for the same time the previous year.

Wholesale power prices increased more than 150 per cent between 2015 and 2019

— from $35.15 per kWh to $88.49 per kWh — according to Australian Energy Market Operator.

And charities say increases mean power is now out of reach for many people who resort to cheaper heating.

Salvation Army Moneycare manager Tony Delvin said burning charcoal instead of electricity was becoming a common problem.

“It is a real tragedy to hear stories like that but you do every winter,” he said.

“The price is increasing way out of reach for some people but they have no choice but to resort to things like this without knowing the health impacts.”

Average debt owed to power companies among those helped by the Salvation Army is $1920.

IMG_4977.PNG

14 hours ago, Nemises said:

Wholesale power prices increased more than 150 per cent between 2015 and 2019

— from $35.15 per kWh to $88.49 per kWh — according to Australian Energy Market Operator.

The prices you have quoted are incorrect they are for MWh not kWh!

Prices at June 2018 :

State                      Wholesale price $/MWh        Retail price $/kWh

South Australia        $114.16/MWh                       43.67c/kWh

Victoria                   $100.12/MWh                       27.56c/kWh

New South Wales      $88.06/MWh                      33.33c/kWh

Tasmania                  $82.73/MWh                      25.90c/kWh

And guess why SA's prices are so extraordinarily high? Because they have closed down their coal-fired stations & are devoted to renewables, of which, inconveniently, there's never enough just when you need them - so now they have to buy from Victoria & Tassie ...

7 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Retail Prices at June 2018 :

South Australia                  43.67c/kWh

So electricity retails for 43.67c/kWh in South Australia.

The retail cost in Thailand is about 18.00c/Kwh on current exchange rates.

To be honest, I just don't get it with Australian's ....

They have the highest electricity prices ...

Rental prices are expensive ...

Food prices has blown out of proportion ...

Petrol prices are just ridiculous ....

Wages are stagnated ...

Permanent Job growth is almost nil ....

And yet, no one protests .... no one jumps up and down, no one pushes the government to do something,  it just continues on.

29 minutes ago, steven100 said:

To be honest, I just don't get it with Australian's ....

They have the highest electricity prices ...

Rental prices are expensive ...

Food prices has blown out of proportion ...

Petrol prices are just ridiculous ....

Wages are stagnated ...

Permanent Job growth is almost nil ....

And yet, no one protests .... no one jumps up and down, no one pushes the government to do something,  it just continues on.

Could that be because the average wage is so astonishingly high? and because the minimum wage has just been increased by $20 a week by fiat of the independent work tribunal?

On 6/6/2019 at 6:48 AM, mfd101 said:

Could that be because the average wage is so astonishingly high? and because the minimum wage has just been increased by $20 a week by fiat of the independent work tribunal?

This is australia for you ....

Scott Morrison is in line for a $10,000-a-year payrise after a decision made by an independent tribunal.
The Remuneration Tribunal announced that every public office in its jurisdiction would get a two per cent payrise from the start of next month.
That includes all federal politicians.
Mr Morrison's pay will go up to $550,000-a-year.
Australia pays its prime minister more than any country in the world except for Singapore.
Mr Morrison will earn more than ten times the salaries of the prime ministers of Poland, Thailand and Malaysia.
On 6/6/2019 at 9:48 AM, mfd101 said:

Most my mates get paid 150K a year. Just about everyone I know owns their house outright. When I left work in 2009 I was on good money. Wages are good and means you can live a higher lifestyle.

19 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Most my mates get paid 150K a year. Just about everyone I know owns their house outright. When I left work in 2009 I was on good money. Wages are good and means you can live a higher lifestyle.

Try telling that to the Heavens-are-falling moaners on this site!

On 5/23/2019 at 10:16 AM, Kenny202 said:

About me and the current GF my concern, a whole different post and wont be rising to the bait. You do not know our situation nor how long we have been together etc so please don't start banging on about that. With all due respect it's not my immediate concern and to be honest none of your business.

Unnecessarily offensive response. I thought he was asking if she would be going along or not because it does make a marked difference.

You mentioned her in the first place, why do this if it is only your business and nowt to do with anyone else?

Archived