BANGKOK 24 June 2019 22:15
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Mexicans Are Buying Fake Phones to Hand Over When Robbed

Armed robberies have become so common in Mexico City that people have started buying fake smartphones to hand over to trigger-happy criminals who would rather shoot them than leave empty-handed.

Walking on the street or getting on public transportation in Mexico City have become increasingly risky affairs. According to recently released data, there were an average of 70 violent reported muggings in the Mexican capital in the first four months of 2019. Around two thirds of these crimes targeted pedestrians, while the rest were evenly committed against public transportation passengers and motorists stuck in traffic jams or waiting at traffic lights.

The incidence of such crimes has been steadily increasing in the city, but it has gotten so bad that people are now buying fake smartphones to hand over to muggers instead of their real ones.

Smartphone “dummies” reportedly cost between 300 and 500 Mexican pesos – $15 and $25 – and are seemingly perfect replicas of the originals. They feature the same design and branding of popular smartphone models like Iphone and Samsung Galaxy, as well as a display that mimics a startup screen. On the inside, they have a large piece of metal meant to give them the weight of a real smartphone.

“It’s useful for robberies, the large number of muggings happening in Mexico City,” Axel, a smartphone dummy seller told The Associated Press. “They say ‘hand over your cellphone, give me everything’, and people know now they have to hand over the phone quick, in a matter of seconds, so they hand over these phones and often the thieves don’t realize it.”

Axel, who asked that his full name not be revealed for fear of being accused of selling fake goods, said that all of his clients know that they are buying useless replicas. That’s the whole point, really. They’re buying cheap dead-ringers to hopefully fool muggers into letting them walk away with both their lives and actual smartphones.

However, handing over a fake handheld at gunpoint does have its risks. If the muggers realize they are being played for suckers, there’s a high chance they’ll beat or even shoot their victim. That’s why some Mexicans choose to buy a cheaper but real smartphone to hand over in case of emergency.

Full article

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

However, handing over a fake handheld at gunpoint does have its risks. If the muggers realize they are being played for suckers, there’s a high chance they’ll beat or even shoot their victim. That’s why some Mexicans choose to buy a cheaper but real smartphone to hand over in case of emergency.

I'd go with the $29.99 genuine WalMart burn phone.

I'd go with the $29.99 genuine WalMart burn phone.

The idea is for it to look like a real phone. Don't think they want burners. They might kill you for that.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

29 minutes ago, impulse said:

WalMart burn phone.

What is  a burn phone?

What is  a burn phone?

Throwaway phone untraceable number. Popular with drug dealers. But phone thieves want expensive phones.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Wait. You are in fear for your life. 

I think I would just go with a cheap smartphone. 

My God, really. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

What is  a burn phone?

Burner phone means a cheap dumb phone not requiring personal info, that one can throwaway with minimal financial loss.

Usually used for anonymity.

Edited by JimmyJ

40 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Burner phone means a cheap dumb phone not requiring personal info, that one can throwaway with minimal financial loss.

Usually used for anonymity.

Not 100% true.  You can buy a very expensive burn phone...  With some pretty nifty features.

I didn't buy mine for anonymity or price.  I bought it because it's a monthly pre-pay contract with no long term obligation.  So, no credit check and no information required to get it set up.  And when friends come to visit from overseas, I buy them burn SIMs for the time they're in the USA.  Pop them into their 2nd SIM slot and they're good for domestic calls and data for a month with no roaming charges.  If they need to call Thailand, they have to use their roaming Thai SIM, unless I paid a few more $$$ for a monthly international package- still anonymous, and still disposable when they leave the country.

They're not just for pimps and drug dealers...

To be hornest, that's nice business. They carring about themselfs and do what it's better for them. So.. let shit going on)