BANGKOK 23 July 2019 12:48

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s an order saying he has to report to the police and do 20 hours community service. It makes no reference to immigration.

Which he did and successfully completed by paying 20000 baht . Otherwise passport would not have been returned 😉

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately the photograph of the court paper is too blurry to read all of it. What I could read seemed to say you were required to perform community service of 20 hours in stints over one year.

You didn’t pay a B20,000 bribe because you still had to go to court and were convicted. A bribe is normally much less and is paid at the roadblock to allow you to drive off without penalty. B20,000 is the amount of bail you have to post once you have been taken to the cop shop to be allowed to go home and wait for your court hearing. You get a receipt for it and it is returned after you have attended your court hearing on time. In your case your girlfriend paid a B20,000 donation to the police, assuming she really handed it over to them, and you got nothing in return for it, since you were convicted. There was no need to post bail since you were lucky enough to be taken to court first thing in the morning.

I don’t think you will be blacklisted but, if they are efficient, you might have to face some minor consequences for failing to report for your community service. This might delay you at Immigration on arrival but, if you still have the same girlfriend, she might able to arrange a donation to Immigration which will make you feel you cheated the system without making any difference to your penalties.

Edited by Dogmatix

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, RJRS1301 said:

What a lot of mumbo jumbo, how is one supposed to understand that??

It says if you can pay you don't have to do the community service work. If they say it in plain English it makes it sound like a bribe - which it is. Sounds like the 20k baht payment to get the passport back cancelled the community service order.

Edited by Jaggg88
  • Like 1

I appreciate everyone’s replies. Still in the dark. But several mention it probably is community service. This is now 5 years ago, and I have new passport. Does this follow to immigration? Guess I’m not getting a accurate answer.

And yes i did deserve a punishment, but I’m not a bad person. So pls don’t sitt there and judge me. 

My GF says its a paper from the Pattaya court.  Your were convicted of drunk driving and were given two options.  Option one was 1 month in jail and pay 2700 baht upon release.  Option two you are on probation for 1 year and must report 4 times and do total 20 hours community service.  It indicates option 2 was applied/selected.  The rest is about where and when you report.

She's not sure what if anything might happen because you ignored order and five years have passed.

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, ballbreaker said:

My GF says its a paper from the Pattaya court.  Your were convicted of drunk driving and were given two options.  Option one was 1 month in jail and pay 2700 baht upon release.  Option two you are on probation for 1 year and must report 4 times and do total 20 hours community service.  It indicates option 2 was applied/selected.  The rest is about where and when you report.

She's not sure what if anything might happen because you ignored order and five years have passed.

Thx ballbreaker, best answer so far. So I probably go to Vietnam instead. Not want risk to have problems in immigration. Sad tho, Vietnam not the same Thailand.