Blacklisted?

Hi, in 2014 i was caught in a road block and I had been drinking and driving motorbike. They took us all to the local “monkey house” and held us there for few hours and then to the court house. The judge sentenced me for a fine about few hundred bath... but before I got out they gave me a paper I not understand... some say it is community service or a blank list notification. Can u get black listed for a DUI? Or what happen if you not show up for that community service? I left Thailand 3 days later. My worst night in my life in that Pattaya holding police station. And now I want go back with my family. Don’t want get stopped in immigration.

87807116-6C1E-4960-BE1F-ED9793366DAC.png

Highly unlikely you were blacklisted. If you were, you would have been detained and deported.

when you say few hundred baht, do you know know how much you had to pay ? How did you get your passport back from police ? 

Fines are not few hundred baht but few thousand baht and fine must be paid before you can get your passport back. 

I am guessing you skipped a few things in your story 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Highly unlikely you were blacklisted. If you were, you would have been detained and deported.

when you say few hundred baht, do you know know how much you had to pay ? How did you get your passport back from police ? 

Fines are not few hundred baht but few thousand baht and fine must be paid before you can get your passport back. 

I am guessing you skipped a few things in your story 

Yes i did skipped that. I paid 20k att the police station... or rather my gf did who was outside. Can’t remember if I got it back there or after the courthouse. Was a French guy with me who didn’t pay, ha had to get back after the sentence... but I did not pay much for the DUI... remember it as a ridiculous sum, under 1000 bth. But some Thais say this paper mean I have to visit a office outside Pattaya, or community service. I want to know I’m not have problems when arriving in BKK. It was a shitty thing. Dam it was day after Martial Law and lock down ended. The military had the PM removed that summer. I had a lot drink that night and got swooped in with 30 or so more for DUI

1 hour ago, Helander said:

Yes i did skipped that. I paid 20k att the police station... or rather my gf did who was outside. Can’t remember if I got it back there or after the courthouse. Was a French guy with me who didn’t pay, ha had to get back after the sentence... but I did not pay much for the DUI... remember it as a ridiculous sum, under 1000 bth. But some Thais say this paper mean I have to visit a office outside Pattaya, or community service. I want to know I’m not have problems when arriving in BKK. It was a shitty thing. Dam it was day after Martial Law and lock down ended. The military had the PM removed that summer. I had a lot drink that night and got swooped in with 30 or so more for DUI

No one here can answer you with certainty if you were put on blacklist or not.

i have never heard of anyone being ordered to do community service for DUI.

sounds like your GF paid a bribe of 20000 to get your passport back , so I would say , it all ended there   No blacklist or anything else to follow

• Like 1

I think he failed to attend community service and on arrival back here he will be arrested and taken to jail. Then in all likelihood be deported after serving time. Damn foreigners. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

The notice says you are on probation for 1 year. Never heard of a foreigner getting probation.

I know of one. Drink driving was his crime. He worked offshore but the Thais allowed him to do his service on his time off. 

25 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Surprisingly...no one answered your question...."What does the paper say"?

It’s an order saying he has to report to the police and do 20 hours community service. It makes no reference to immigration.

This may assist the OP.

Section 30/2. Violation of Community Service

If afterwards, the Court issues an order granting the permission under Section 30/1, it appears to the Court itself or according to prosecutor or official's statement that the fined person has enough money to pay the fine, in the time to file a petition under Section 30/1 or violates or not to perform according to an order or a condition designated by the Court, the Court will revoke an order premising as aforesaid and fine or detain on behalf of the fine by deducting work day amount from fined money amount.

In the period of Social Service or Public Interest on behalf of the fine, if the fined person does not desire to the said word thenceforward, it may be changed as the fine or detention on behalf of the fine. In this case, the Court shall issue an order premising according to petition by deducting a workday amount from the fined money amount.

Section 30/3. Community Services Orders are Final

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-punishment-sections-28-30-3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

This may assist the OP.

Section 30/2. Violation of Community Service

If afterwards, the Court issues an order granting the permission under Section 30/1, it appears to the Court itself or according to prosecutor or official's statement that the fined person has enough money to pay the fine, in the time to file a petition under Section 30/1 or violates or not to perform according to an order or a condition designated by the Court, the Court will revoke an order premising as aforesaid and fine or detain on behalf of the fine by deducting work day amount from fined money amount.

In the period of Social Service or Public Interest on behalf of the fine, if the fined person does not desire to the said word thenceforward, it may be changed as the fine or detention on behalf of the fine. In this case, the Court shall issue an order premising according to petition by deducting a workday amount from the fined money amount.

Section 30/3. Community Services Orders are Final

What a lot of mumbo jumbo, how is one supposed to understand that??

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Like all things Thai, it's open to interpretation in their favour. Same applies to most laws in Ting Tong land.

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s an order saying he has to report to the police and do 20 hours community service. It makes no reference to immigration.

Which he did and successfully completed by paying 20000 baht . Otherwise passport would not have been returned ????

Unfortunately the photograph of the court paper is too blurry to read all of it. What I could read seemed to say you were required to perform community service of 20 hours in stints over one year.

You didn’t pay a B20,000 bribe because you still had to go to court and were convicted. A bribe is normally much less and is paid at the roadblock to allow you to drive off without penalty. B20,000 is the amount of bail you have to post once you have been taken to the cop shop to be allowed to go home and wait for your court hearing. You get a receipt for it and it is returned after you have attended your court hearing on time. In your case your girlfriend paid a B20,000 donation to the police, assuming she really handed it over to them, and you got nothing in return for it, since you were convicted. There was no need to post bail since you were lucky enough to be taken to court first thing in the morning.

I don’t think you will be blacklisted but, if they are efficient, you might have to face some minor consequences for failing to report for your community service. This might delay you at Immigration on arrival but, if you still have the same girlfriend, she might able to arrange a donation to Immigration which will make you feel you cheated the system without making any difference to your penalties.

Edited by Dogmatix

On 5/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, RJRS1301 said:

It says if you can pay you don't have to do the community service work. If they say it in plain English it makes it sound like a bribe - which it is. Sounds like the 20k baht payment to get the passport back cancelled the community service order.

Edited by Jaggg88
  • Like 1

I appreciate everyone’s replies. Still in the dark. But several mention it probably is community service. This is now 5 years ago, and I have new passport. Does this follow to immigration? Guess I’m not getting a accurate answer.

And yes i did deserve a punishment, but I’m not a bad person. So pls don’t sitt there and judge me. 

My GF says its a paper from the Pattaya court.  Your were convicted of drunk driving and were given two options.  Option one was 1 month in jail and pay 2700 baht upon release.  Option two you are on probation for 1 year and must report 4 times and do total 20 hours community service.  It indicates option 2 was applied/selected.  The rest is about where and when you report.

She's not sure what if anything might happen because you ignored order and five years have passed.

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, ballbreaker said:

My GF says its a paper from the Pattaya court.  Your were convicted of drunk driving and were given two options.  Option one was 1 month in jail and pay 2700 baht upon release.  Option two you are on probation for 1 year and must report 4 times and do total 20 hours community service.  It indicates option 2 was applied/selected.  The rest is about where and when you report.

She's not sure what if anything might happen because you ignored order and five years have passed.

Thx ballbreaker, best answer so far. So I probably go to Vietnam instead. Not want risk to have problems in immigration. Sad tho, Vietnam not the same Thailand.