BANGKOK 22 July 2019 19:19
webfact

Thai exports pay price for US-China trade war

The sooner Trumps gone the better

A fat global disaster

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Apart from the French breakfasts, the food is boring. There's only so much pho and spring rolls one can eat. I agree Vietnamese are more open and friendly. Don't know about the girls, they looked squattier than Thais to me.

Fair enough. Both are attractive. I tend to like the lighter variety, slightly more northeastern mix they have going in Vietnam. It's like the Thai Chinese girls minus the unbearable arrogance and minus the Chinese. 👍

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Purchases of military hardware, civil and military planes, etc etc will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Overseas investment opportunities will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Overseas travel and shopping will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Offshoring money into overseas bank accounts in foreign currency will be cheaper with a strong baht - buys much more of the foreign currency.

Now ask yourself which tier in Thailand can benefit from all those?

While what you and most of us think and say sounds logical , US fed believes baht is undervalued and should be stronger.

13 hours ago, mikebell said:

Well what's Vietnam got that Thailand hasn't?

A free trade a agreement with the USA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, khunpa said:

And the Thai-Logic reaction will most likely be to raise the prices 🙂

Anyway I am confused about the overall economy situation. I thought it was fantastic and no government has ever done better.

I hope that was sarcasm. My Thai GF says a lot of people are hurting, especially the agricultural sector.

For example, Australia used to be a key buyer of Thai vehicles and auto parts in the past decade. However, Thai automotive exports to Australia have been falling this year, as Australia has shifted its emphasis to electric vehicles from other markets, she explained.

So the shift to electric cars is the reason YTD exports are down.  They really need to be more creative than this.  In my working years a subordinate that came to me with something this lame walked out of my office with a shoe up their backside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Purchases of military hardware, civil and military planes, etc etc will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Overseas investment opportunities will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Overseas travel and shopping will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Offshoring money into overseas bank accounts in foreign currency will be cheaper with a strong baht - buys much more of the foreign currency.

Now ask yourself which tier in Thailand can benefit from all those?

Correct, and they are not doing millions but billions

10 billion THB exported - just a small 1% change in the exchange rate is 100,000,000 THB extra for them

21 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Girls are better looking in Vietnam - don't get me started on those French Viet girls' measurements.

Food is healthier in Vietnam.

People are not perfect but far friendlier and more genuine than people in Thailand.

Vietnamese people are generally open and interested in the world outside their borders -- unlike Thailand.

Vietnam has edible bread and drinkable coffee and walkable pavements -- courtesy of the French.

I agree with all you've said, Fex.  What's the visa situation?  What kind of property can you rent for 20,000 baht a month?  Are they going to introduce Compulsory Health Insurance?  I loved Hoi An and Da Nang + I've done the Halong Bay cruise twice now.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, Nowisee said:

This made me spit my coffee... hilarious and dead on right.  Thanks for the morning jolt.  🤣

I bet it was Thai coffee?  The Vietnamese stuff is infinitely better and 40% cheaper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I bet it was Thai coffee?  The Vietnamese stuff is infinitely better and 40% cheaper.

Better or same as the hill tribe stuff here? So far I've put in the push column wine, baquettes and the rest of what the French brought, in the minus column there's a five kilometer long strike called communism.