Thai exports pay price for US-China trade war

webfact

7 hours ago, smedly said:

This article is complete BS

The reason Thai exports are down is because the Thai baht has increased in value pretty much 20% over the last 3 years and continues to rise

Why ?

Because the money in Thailand is buying up and investing overseas - they don't give a &&&& about the Nations economy - there is a point when it will hit a wall - what is saving Thailand right now is Global volatility 

Miss typed that (pissed) I meant 10% possibly a bit more, then you have moves of other major currencies up and down about 5% (ish) but the overall picture is Thai Baht has strengthened considerably - GBP without Brexit uncertainty should be around 46ish

1 hour ago, Jason40 said:

“The baht will not appreciate to more than 31 baht to the dollar in 2019” HA HA, sorry but that’s already happened a few times including this morning it fluctuated to 32.01 baht to the dollar earlier this morning but now it’s fluctuated back down to 31.98. Lately it’s been staying above 31.9 baht to the dollar and holding stable. Just last month it was 31.5 baht to the dollar now it’s holding steady at just barely below 32 baht to the dollar between 31.95 and 31.98 and occasionally it does jump above 32 baht to the dollar. It’s looking a lot better lately and I agree this article is wrong but not for the same reasons that some people are saying. Unfortunately you can’t trust local media information regarding economics or politics right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Whose exchange rates are you quoting? Bangkok bank has it at 31.79 this morning.

As many commentators have suggested, the Commerce Ministry is simply making excuses. Every month there is a new reason why exports are weak. Every month they avoid mentioning the elephant in the room - the strong Baht.

The government sometimes fiddles around the edges to contain the Baht, but they won't take any macro measures to drive it down. In fact, they talk it up.

So why does the Government want the Baht to continue to appreciate? Does anyone know?

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

The Thai baht hasn't increased in value by 20% over the past 3 years against a basket of currencies, with the exception of one currency, the pound sterling.....and it is not baht strength, but pound weakness due to Brexit, that is the issue. You are confusing Britain with the world and inflating its importance in world affairs. 

Nonsense. 

23 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

As many commentators have suggested, the Commerce Ministry is simply making excuses. Every month there is a new reason why exports are weak. Every month they avoid mentioning the elephant in the room - the strong Baht.

The government sometimes fiddles around the edges to contain the Baht, but they won't take any macro measures to drive it down. In fact, they talk it up.

So why does the Government want the Baht to continue to appreciate? Does anyone know?

Purchases of military hardware, civil and military planes, etc etc will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Overseas investment opportunities will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Overseas travel and shopping will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Offshoring money into overseas bank accounts in foreign currency will be cheaper with a strong baht - buys much more of the foreign currency.

Now ask yourself which tier in Thailand can benefit from all those?

And the Thai-Logic reaction will most likely be to raise the prices ????

Anyway I am confused about the overall economy situation. I thought it was fantastic and no government has ever done better.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

This article is complete BS

The reason Thai exports are down is because the Thai baht has increased in value pretty much 20% over the last 3 years and continues to rise

Why ?

Because the money in Thailand is buying up and investing overseas - they don't give a &&&& about the Nations economy - there is a point when it will hit a wall - what is saving Thailand right now is Global volatility 

Thanks for this simple idiot-proof explanation, lad. 

And in the mean time, the Imports are skyrocketing (at least within the rich and influential wealthy classes)

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

The baht is too strong; I know let's force these long stay foreigners to tie up 800,000 for five months every year in Thai banks and force them to take compulsory health insurance provided by Thai companies.

Excuse me where are you going?

Well what's Vietnam got that Thailand hasn't?

Girls are better looking in Vietnam - don't get me started on those French Viet girls' measurements.

Food is healthier in Vietnam.

People are not perfect but far friendlier and more genuine than people in Thailand.

Vietnamese people are generally open and interested in the world outside their borders -- unlike Thailand.

Vietnam has edible bread and drinkable coffee and walkable pavements -- courtesy of the French.

5 hours ago, zydeco said:

So NOW they want the US to bail them out. After conniving and cheating with China and thumbing their nose at Americans and stealing software, films, TV shows, clothes brands, they see the US as their savior???  Hah, hah, hah. Time to put them in the same tariff category as China.

It will be interesting to see if the US puts Thailand on currency manipulator list after its done wrecking the Chinese economy

Untitled.png.bd0b95832299bc53df73b59f495a2727.png

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

Anyway I am confused about the overall economy situation. I thought it was fantastic and no government has ever done better.

Only when the government channels Donald.

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

Not to worry! A trillion tourist will arrive next month and make up for the loss.

And they will all be Chinese dressed in green fatigues with a little red star on their cap.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

It will be interesting to see if the US puts Thailand on currency manipulator list after its done wrecking the Chinese economy

As well as target Thai companies manufacturing components for Chinese companies. The Thais have really stepped in it by putting all their money on China. 

Just a few days ago thai government was predicting that the US/China trade war would have no adverse outcome for trade in Thailand but now that’s been blown assuder.

Thailand had better be careful of such predictions as the USA and for that matter China can cripple the Thai economy overnight and wouldn’t give them a backward glance .  

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Girls are better looking in Vietnam - don't get me started on those French Viet girls' measurements.

People are not perfect but far friendlier and more genuine than people in Thailand.

Vietnamese people are generally open and interested in the world outside their borders -- unlike Thailand.

Vietnam has edible bread and drinkable coffee and walkable pavements -- courtesy of the French.

Apart from the French breakfasts, the food is boring. There's only so much pho and spring rolls one can eat. I agree Vietnamese are more open and friendly. Don't know about the girls, they looked squattier than Thais to me.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Apart from the French breakfasts, the food is boring. There's only so much pho and spring rolls one can eat. I agree Vietnamese are more open and friendly. Don't know about the girls, they looked squattier than Thais to me.

Fair enough. Both are attractive. I tend to like the lighter variety, slightly more northeastern mix they have going in Vietnam. It's like the Thai Chinese girls minus the unbearable arrogance and minus the Chinese. ????

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Purchases of military hardware, civil and military planes, etc etc will be cheaper with a strong baht.

Offshoring money into overseas bank accounts in foreign currency will be cheaper with a strong baht - buys much more of the foreign currency.

While what you and most of us think and say sounds logical , US fed believes baht is undervalued and should be stronger.

9 hours ago, khunpa said:

And the Thai-Logic reaction will most likely be to raise the prices ????

I hope that was sarcasm. My Thai GF says a lot of people are hurting, especially the agricultural sector.

For example, Australia used to be a key buyer of Thai vehicles and auto parts in the past decade. However, Thai automotive exports to Australia have been falling this year, as Australia has shifted its emphasis to electric vehicles from other markets, she explained.

So the shift to electric cars is the reason YTD exports are down.  They really need to be more creative than this.  In my working years a subordinate that came to me with something this lame walked out of my office with a shoe up their backside.

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Correct, and they are not doing millions but billions

10 billion THB exported - just a small 1% change in the exchange rate is 100,000,000 THB extra for them

21 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I agree with all you've said, Fex.  What's the visa situation?  What kind of property can you rent for 20,000 baht a month?  Are they going to introduce Compulsory Health Insurance?  I loved Hoi An and Da Nang + I've done the Halong Bay cruise twice now.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, Nowisee said:

This made me spit my coffee... hilarious and dead on right.  Thanks for the morning jolt.  ????

I bet it was Thai coffee?  The Vietnamese stuff is infinitely better and 40% cheaper.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I bet it was Thai coffee?  The Vietnamese stuff is infinitely better and 40% cheaper.

Better or same as the hill tribe stuff here? So far I've put in the push column wine, baquettes and the rest of what the French brought, in the minus column there's a five kilometer long strike called communism.

Archived