Some experts can continue working until 70, says Cabinet

webfact

Some experts can continue working until 70, says Cabinet

By The Nation

dec4ced1448df00a4660068972577830.jpeg

File photo

Civil servants working in areas at risk of personnel shortages are to be allowed to postpone their retirements until the age of 70, says Government House.

The idea was to curb shortages of personnel in key areas and to support the country’s upcoming “fully-fledged ageing society” status, said a source.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved in principle an amendment to an Office of the Civil Service Commission (OCSC) regulation that usually requires employees to retire at 60. 

A first-stage extension would allow the officials in question to continue working for an extra four years and a second extension for a further three years. The maximum extension period must not exceed 10 years or allow for people over 70 to still be working, according to the OCSC’s proposal.

The Cabinet gave its approval in principle to the amendment, meaning it might require further changes and a final approval before being implemented.

It also ordered that the amendment only apply to those fields at risk of personnel shortages and must be academic experts of Level 9-10 or be in the “senior” “special skill” officials who have served in those rare fields for at least one year.

The positions the over-60s are allowed to work in could be their old jobs or other existing positions – but their new work cannot be in new jobs that have just specially created for them, the cabinet stipulated.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369846

thenation_logo.jpg

I find it amazing that the "cabinet", with half its members missing as they are now "senators", continue to pass laws and make up rules until the very last minute! This one will enable senior civil servants to continue their corrupt practices for many more years. No matter how long they keep working for extra money and perks, they can't take it with them when they die!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

This will really mess up the carefully orchestrated proceeds of corruption flow plan. Networks plan years ahead to put their person in a certain position for a certain period of time to rake in a certain amount of money then stepping aside so the other network can have a turn. Adding another 10 years to the feeding frenzy unexpectedly will mean some snouts will fear that they will miss their turn at the trough.

58 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

I find it amazing that the "cabinet", with half its members missing as they are now "senators", continue to pass laws and make up rules until the very last minute! This one will enable senior civil servants to continue their corrupt practices for many more years. No matter how long they keep working for extra money and perks, they can't take it with them when they die!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You're explaining the symptoms of greed,  it's in epidemic proportions worldwide.

So called 'Experts' at anything are few and far between in Thailand; Senior Civil Servants are as good as useless when it comes to being expert at anything other than being firmly attached to the gravy train and to say they can stay 'at work' until they are 70 is a joke !

I believe that in the US Civil Service there is no mandatory retirement age for federal employment.

And management is required under law to make reasonable possible accommodation if an elderly employee experiences aging issues adverse to their work environment that allows the employee to continue employment, albeit at a different job and/or pay scale.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Does this also hold for teachers? I know some guys who had to stop teaching at 60. 

Yes, for foreigners teacher. I had a friend at Silapakorn Uni who worked until 70 (or72?) But the head of the section told me the paperwork were  a "nightmare" because most of the civil servants for employment or ministry level don't know very well about it.

I hope it would become easier, working until 70 for lot of people is not impossible.

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Does this also hold for teachers? I know some guys who had to stop teaching at 60. 

I was talking about it with the local head of Social Services and he thinks teachers (like myself) will be able to postpone retirement.  I hope so, it fills my days and my wallet. (small wallet) 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

A first-stage extension would allow the officials in question to continue working for an extra four years and a second extension for a further three years. The maximum extension period must not exceed 10 years or allow for people over 70 to still be working, according to the OCSC’s proposal.

my university does this

Archived